Low Carb + Cholesterol

19 yr. old T1D, diagnosed May 2008

-first nutritionist: carb recommendation: 235 carbs/day originally, then down to 200
limit my protein (cheese, meat, and eggs specifically)

-second nutritionist: 6 starch/bread servings/day, 160-200 carbs/day total

-“Good Calories, Bad Calories” by Gary Taubes- high-fat diets not cause of heart disease… go low carb

-2004-2006: parents on Atkins diet

I’m quite confused about why nutritionists are recommending so many carbs in a diabetic’s diet (or any diet, for that matter). That many carbs are highly unnecessary for a moderately active college student. I’m a true believer in the low-carb lifestyle and have been following a lower carb diet recently (120/day and hoping to decrease that amount) and am concerned about my cholesterol levels. For those of you who are low-carbers, how have your cholesterol numbers been, and would you please describe your experiences maintaining the lifestyle, losing/maintaining weight, maintaining BS control, etc?

Good question.

I don’t know the answer, but I am shocked as well that this is what they recommend. My dad was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and he was told that he needs to INCREASE his carb intake because he wasn’t eating enough before!

I eat 150-180g per day. So I am not currently eating low carb, but I generally find my blood sugars easier to manage when I do. And I’m planning to become a stricter low carb eater soon.