Lows in public, without money

Wow, when I’m low all it takes is about 2 Skittles to bring me up to normal. I have to work very hard to make sure I don’t overcompensate when I go low. I keep Skittles or glucose tabs everywhere though - my coat pockets, my purse, my gym bag, the car. I don’t even go for a walk without them. I have a canvas shoulder thing that holds my meter and my glucose if I don’t want to carry a purse.
Maria

I always carry little bags of sugar inside my meter bag, I developed the habit to get them every time I go to a coffee shop or fast food place. I even know the ones that taste better, somtimes i use little bags of honey too !!. It takes two of those bags to bring me up. Actually I have to confess that when I have lows a part of me gets a little happy, it says “yupee I can have some real sweet, like a real coke or some ice cream, so if there’s a food store around I go… mmmhh what kind of sweet do I want, I can have anything I want”. A little bit of humor is always helpful instead of giving into fear so much. But I still try to be careful and aware of whats going on… It also reminds me of a little alcohol buzz (from when I used to drink) this may sound weird but I say “don’t fear your lows, enjoy them”. Of course always being aware and doing what it takes to bring you up. Cheers !

Before I go low, I usually pop into a restaurant and sit down looking like I want to order… I “steal” their jelly packets then get up and leave. 2-3 jelly packets bring me right back up, I usually carry them in my backpack at school.

I cant keep candy on me becaue diabete or not I have a cadny addiction! :slight_smile: I love the sugar packet idea though. I have been in a few situtations where this has happened before and altough it is embarrassing, if you just go to a snack stand or restraunt and explain the situation they always are willing to help. If they hassle you just tell them you will leave your driver licence for colateral. This usually does it because they know there is something wrong and you are not trying to get a free drink

I usually carry around one of those little juice bags and I have glucose tabs and candies in every bad. I also keep some little candies in my blood sugar meter bag so if I ever forget to take some extra candy I always have something in my kit.

Danny , are you aging yourself ?..and Michael is not dumb either …you caught on kid !!
Room for cheap sugar packages ??

this is a great idea Danny, I will tell Manuel.

You should always make sure you have something with you. Either money, food or glucose tablets, ANYTHING to keep your sugar up if something like that happens.
I’ve unfortunately put myself in your same position a few times and have been lucky nothing has happened but am more mindful now to keep something with me.
I have a child now and I can’t be out and about with her and not be able to take care of myself b/c that would mean I couldn’t take care of her.

Ok, for being new to this group I am totally putting myself out there to be viewed as being pretty stupid…but that’s ok with me…I LEARNED a valuable lesson from this experience, and it is about what we learn from it that counts Right? . Last summer I was out on our boat with my son’s and a friend of theirs. We had been camping there for a few days so a lot of our food on the boat had apparently been eaten up and we got out on the water a long ways from camp and I got low. I typically have more warning, but I knew I was low and we had nothing. I ck’d my sugar and it was 47. The only thing we could do was yell over to another boat and ask them if they had any juice or regular soda. They immediately asked if I was diabetic. And said they didn’t have juice or soda but a peanut butter and jelly sandwich they would bring over to our boat. I cannot tell you how embarrassing it was to have to beg FOR FOOD~!~~!!! because I was low. TOTALLY weird eating a sandwich from a stranger!!! Talk about being despareate. And you know, I probably never got a chance to thank them…I hope my teen-age son’s did. Such a kindness

Everyone has every intention of being prepared…I am a super careful Mom of a child who has had diabetes since he was 3 and he is now 18. It is one of those things that shouldn’t happen and you think it will never happen to you but dog gone it, we are human and sometimes we forget. Don’t beat yourself up over a mistake/accident. In my opinion it is just important that we learn from the experience. =)

I like the surgar pck idea I have been in this situation myself it is embarassing but do not ever be afraid to ask for help

I am mum to a 7 year old boy who has been diagnosed with type 1 for the last two years. We go everywhere with his monitor.
The monitor is stored in a nice little pouch that looks like a purse or wallet. It has a zipper pocket just big enough to hold a packet of glucose tabs. I make sure that there are always glucose tabs in there. This good habit gives me peace of mind when we are out in public.
Happy world diabetes day to everyone. We are loud and proud here in Ireland and my son celebrated world diabetes day in school yesterday. !!

I keep werthers original hard candies in my pockets. I am a registered nurse, so they are easy to hide and I can pop one on the run. I like the jelly bean idea, but I am a little too fond of them and would undoubtedly OD daily on them! I think sugar packets are a great idea in an emergency. I can’t imagine some hard-hearted person refusing you a few packets in an emergency when you had no money!

I keep glucose tabs in my purse and car. If I keep candy, I won’t stop at a few, and next thing you know, I’ll be up to 350. Glucose tabs work because I’ll only eat them when I actually need them. But they are a bit pricey, which makes me NUTS!

If funds are low, I will buy a big bag of smarties, and one or two of those M & M mini’s containers. It’s big enough to fill with about 4 rolls of smarties, and it keeps the little paper from getting yucky in the bottom of my purse or pocket. Also, some G tabs have a better top on them, and you can also put smarties in an empty G tab bottle if it’s got the top that locks snuggly. I think I find the better locking tops in the wal mart reli-on brand.

Good luck, we’ve all been there!