Lunch

Now THAT is a good question. I was only 12 at the time, did not have to worry about paying for any insulin or supplies, and truthfully did not pay any attention to what I was getting each day. I do remember it being U-100. I just used whatever the doctor prescribed. I, too, started with ONE injection a day in the late 60s and early 70s. I increased to two injections in mid-70s and four injections (plus Lantus) in the 80s. I know that I used Humalog for many, many years, and now I use Novolog in my OmniPod Dash. Oh, how far we have come!

Oh good SherryAnn, I am so glad that I am not the only person who doesn’t know/remember what they were using as a child. I do know that for several decades the insulin came from pigs and cows. I also know that I used NPH and regular insulin mixed together for a long time.

I have only been taking insulin for 34 years. I started on novolin pork insulin nph and novolin pork regular.

I switched to humulin R and Humulin NPH after a year.
Then it was ultra lente and humalog.

Now I pump humalog.
The whole nph thing was horrible for me because I was young and my meals were never the same time, I would crash all the time. Nph hits you very fast if you are exercising.

Not 55 years ago!!

I used U40, and monoject U40 syringes with single daily Lente in morning. No mealtime insulin in early years.

Switched to NPH + Reg (and exchange diet) until I started using pump. My doctor had suggested pump for several years, but didn’t agree until I met other T1Ds using pump. I think Medtronic 505 was my first, using Regular, then switch to Humalog when it came out. Things changed slowly back then!!

I’m so glad I’m not the only person who basically eats the same thing every day. :slight_smile: I eat a turkey, chicken, or tuna sandwich on a lower carb high-fiber bread with a side salad with light dressing (as in a little bit of whatever regular dressing I prefer, not the “lite” dressings that have lower fat and added sugar) with chia seeds sprinkled on top. Sometimes I’ll have a few wheat crackers or chia chips if I feel especially hungry or want/sense the need for some extra carbs. I also slice up a tomato and a little cucumber to put on my sandwich for crunch and texture. I love a sensible lunch and never get tired of it.

2 Likes