Macular Ischemia

Has anyone been told they have Macular Ishemia. I was told this last June and cried. Unfortunately, there are no effective treatments for macular ischemia. So now I live with the knowing I will go blind in my left eye as the eye doctor said. How does one cope knowing they will not be able to see one day?

I am very sorry to hear that. Did you have any macular edema beforehand? No notice of this or was it spontanious. I worry about it myself due to some symptoms my dr has found, but I wish you the best and hope you are seeing a good eye dr. ;-(

what is MACULAR ISCHEMIA ?

When the blood vessels in the area of the center of the vision begin to drop out or stop working due to poor blood flow. It can sometimes be associated with bad cases of macular edema, but not always. It can be diagnosed by a FA exam, like Dr Wong said during his live interview. Generally you have a certain area in your macula called the fovea, which does not have capularies in it, so it looks dark on the exam, but if the area is enlarged due to the damage and non blood flow of the vessles in that area, it will appear enlarged on the image. It is not the most common version of macular issues with diabetes but a very serious one.

You won't go blind per se,Lianna... young people tend to do better unless the ischema is very bad, and it tends to blur a lot. Even with a total ichemic macula, you would retain most peripheral vision and the other eye if not affected woulf compensate a lot. you would still be able to see, and not be blind... I am still sorry to hear about this, and worry about it myself as well as my retinaopthy tends to be ischemic in nature.