Madhu

Hi i am Madhu here
i am 25 years old, i just entered into diabetic (HBA1c:6.8)
i want to gain weight is there any supplements to build mussels

Hi there and welcome to diabetes, and tudiabetes!

If you want to build muscle, you need four things:

1. Testosterone. Being a 25-year old male you probably have this in abundant supply but your doc should check you out anyways. Testosterone deficiency is common in diabetics, according to my endo.

2. Calories. You need to eat, and eat a lot. A few hundred calories over what you need to sustain your current weight is about right. If you are serious about wanting to build a lot of muscle, you will need a lot of these calories to come in the form of protein. Between 1.5 and 2 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight per day.

3. Resistance exercise. This is as important as the food. You need to lift heavy weights consistently, 3-4 days per week, progressively increasing the weight and varying the workouts as time goes on. Most people see the most muscle growth in the 8-12 rep range, but working out in the 2-6 rep range will build more strength and power as opposed to muscle size. You need to work a balance. Limit your cardio work but do not neglect it entirely. Just keep in mind you need extra calories each day for your body to build muscle tissue with and if you burn them off with a 3 mile run, you’re not going to get bigger or stronger.

4. Rest. This is probably the most important and the most neglected. You should only work out each muscle group once per week, ideally, and you need eight hours of sleep each night. Your muscles get bigger when you are not in the gym. They get bigger at night when you are asleep and on the days you do not lift weights.

Basically, lift a lot of heavy weights, eat a lot of lean protein, and get your rest. If you have a hard time getting the protein in your diet, consider supplementing with whey protein powder. Keep at it and in several weeks you will begin to see results. No supplements needed- just a lot of discipline and hard work. But it is worth it, so stay focused.