Maintaining Normal Glucose Levels

Hi Danny
I am a Dr Bernstein follower and when I do it completely ,I can get 3 to 4 days in those ranges. My problem lately has been adherence( not perfect). And yes I am a real type 1 for 43 years and the only time I have been able to sustain those #s is when I follow Dr Bernstein. Back on the horse again

Since I guess my 30’s to 80’s do not count…I am a less than 24 hours too

Less than a day for me …

Sometimes I maintain diabetic glucose levels of 80-120 mg/dl, which I think is darn impressive and a lot of work. And that’s all I care about. Fooey to the nondiabetics. They have it easy.

I like your attitude Kelly :))

um…like 3 hours LOL.

Ok…I’ll bite! I have never really kept long term track of bs… I test 5-10 times a day and adjust acoordingly, but because life is different every day I see no point in trying to find a trend by keeping records. But just for the fun of it, I will keep track and see how long I can keep it betwen 70 and 125 (I think that is right – I use mmol/L to measure bs and not mg/dL) Let you know! I’m thinking under 24 hours too!!!

I agree with Helmut about the use of trends. I do not need the MM CGMS in order to catch every low as I usually can feel them. Yet, it helps me to look at the trend on the graph and then test and treat; particularly if I am going to be busy with the kiddies at my job and can’t risk a low…
I was able to stop a spike from a Halloween excursion last night into pumpkin/ginger cookies, by looking at the trend and bolussing appropriately;… My 2 hour peak after consumption was 158 and single arrow climbing, so I corrected . I then woke up this a.m. after the nightime treat to a blood sugar of 102… I had NEVER been able to do that before. I do not plan to make hi carb a habit, but I wanted a spooky treat… and was able to get a little taste of what I wanted…

God Bless,
Brunetta

I went back and looked at my Dex graphs to see if I had a “normal” range day since going on it. I came close on 1 day only, for a full 24 hours. My BGs stayed 70-110 with the exception of 1 reading of 65 prior to dinner. So I can get close if I eat less than 100g of carb for a day but I rarely have days where I eat less than 100g of carb, I am closer to 150g per day on an average day and I will go up to 140-150 bg post meal when I eat like this. No matter what I do can’t stay 70-120 for long, the lows come and get me LOL

24 hours for this LADA. Depressing question…lol. If you changed it to 70-140 I would have several two day runs. I agree with Kelly it’s pretty irrelevant what nondiabetics have! It’s how often we meet our own target goals!

Good attitude, Danny and I sincerely hope you can achieve it! Obviously, the lower (closer to “normal”) the better. I guess, for me, I want goals that I feel I can achieve or else I would feel discouraged. And I know myself well enough to know the Bernstein diet is not for me. I also think if I’d been diagnosed in my 20s I would be more motivated for tighter control with so many more years of risk for complications. And no, I don’t consider 180 the “safe zone” not matter what the ADA ( ": absolutely demented agency, american defeatist agency?) says!

But more power to you and Joe and others who can stick to it and get that kind of success!

Thanks Danny… I do find this forum motivating as well. I have been striving for control for many many years, but I keep getting better–with the semi occasional hiccup (ya…once or twice a day :wink:

I think that I did once for 24 hours when experimenting with the Bernstein diet.

Otherwise, even if I have good measurements all days, I’m sure that I go above 120 mg/dl (6.6 mmol/L) after every meal.

Oh, and for 20 years before I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes!

It’s not much to brag about. I credit it to my formerly functioning pancreas.

2 days

I’ve been following Dr. B’s recommendations & have had two days with normal numbers. But, I have gastroparesis & this makes it near impossible to achieve a normal range.

if it didn’t cost so much in certain countries they COULD actually be used. I know in aus that they cost $60 dollars, when you change it every three days it seriously adds up…$600 a month? $7200 a year?
I would seriously love to have one but they’re not covered by private health insurance and honestly my parents wouldn’t be able to afford that.
its not always a case of whether it’s the best thing but if it’s actually possible.
feel free to send me some of yours free of charge? :wink:

I once wetn 3 days without a reading over 6.4 with 1 low, I checked an average of 7 times daily… however I’m sure my blood would’ve gone higher then that a couple times without me knowing. I was so impressed with myself that i was able to do that without really changing my normal routine. Usually i get the odd number that is a little high though so regularly only a day i can maintain numbers like that.

Danny,

Congratulations !!!

Your control is unbelievable. I have never seen anything like this. Is this your best day ever or does the Glucose Distribution look like this when you select ‘All’?

Danny, I am so glad that the DexCom is working out for you.