Makes No Sense

But, but, but, I get no set issues and besides a set issue is a trivial, cheap thing to change, COMPARED TO A POD. Can we at least agree that there is a big difference between set-only issues, vs pod issues? they shouldn’t be conflated.

If you never ate strawberries for most of your life, imagine your dismay at age 80 to finally try one and discover that you love them. You just might say,“OMG, I never knew what I was missing!!”. Regret is a sad thing.

I will grant u that women have more issues with tubing them guys due to they types of clothing they typically wear.

@Dave44 :grinning: I knew I never wanted to go on a cruise, wasn’t interested and didn’t care. But ended up going because my in laws were celebrating their 60th anniversary on one. I hated it and it just reinforced my dislike! I also never want to pet a great white either…lol

You can separate infusion set problems, but a pod user can’t (at least easily)? We can’t tell what the problem is stemming from because it’s all in the same package to us. You just switch the pod for all issues, 5 minutes and it’s done.

2 Likes

That’s my point: they are conflated when so many issues for Omnipod users are called pod failures even when they’re things like site issues that any pump user might experience.

1 Like

I think we’ve beaten the subject to death now. there are “tubers” and “non-tubers”. each type of pump has it’s proponents and detractors. :slight_smile: In case someone hasn’t yet noticed, I don’t like extended discussions–once we all have had our say, I’m all for moving on to the next subject. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I like turtles

2 Likes

My mother liked turtles. the chocolate and caramel kind–for Mother’s Day or her birthday.

I used to love the caramel kind, I haven’t had those for over 40 years!

1 Like

I currently am doing the same thing-- running my “stash” of “old” OmniPods down, but I already have made my decision to go to the new Dash system. Medicare will not pay for FreeStyle test strips for me, and I have found that the Contour Next One test strips more closely agree with the readings from my Dexcom G6, so I am changing to the Contour Next One/ OmniPod Dash combo. Dexcom will send me some Contour strips each month, and if I have to buy some, they are less expensive than the FreeStyle strips. Once I change, I will let everyone know how I like the new Dash system.

2 Likes

I have heard good things about Contour Next. I really like having my glucometer a part of the PDM and that will go away with Dash. You are correct though, cost is a definite factor. Since Dex G5 I have tested less, so my stash of Freestyle strips is great too.

I read in a few posts where people are switching to a different version (of whatever it might be) but continuing to use their old version until they have a nice stash built up of the new version. Here’s hoping I decide before my stash is completely depleted and I have to start from scratch building it back up again!

I’ll keep an eye out @SherryAnn to see how you like the Dash! Thanks!

1 Like

I would be one of the many saying good things about the Contour Next. It’s the best meter that I’ve used since 1992 and I’ve used MANY of them. Countless brands and models. The Next is very accurate throughout the whole range, uses little blood, and you can reapply more blood if indicated before it displays a result. There are least 3 models of the Next.

4 Likes

Exactly. No matter which Contour model you’re using, they all use the same exact strip.

3 Likes

The Contour Next One model is what is compatible with the DASH system, so that is what I used to compare with my G6 readings. At least for me, the readings were fairly close, so I would be comfortable (at least!) trusting my G6 readings and manually inputting the reading into the DASH PDM to calculate a bolus. I need to use the old stash of Pods first, though, so the DASH is a bit in the future. I am excited to go eventually to the Contour system since getting FreeStyle REGULAR (not Lite) strips has been a royal pain in the patoot. I am happy to hear that you and others really like it.

2 Likes

Not having the Omnipod Dash, I am unclear what that means?

The Contour next one will transmit the readings to the PDM via Bluetooth. Just like the Medtronic pumps.

2 Likes

I have finally come to accept that if my BG does not make sense twice in a row, change my infusion set. I always find there is either a bent cannula or some blockage. They say that the definition of insanity is “doing what you’ve been doing and getting the same results.” That is what I realized I was doing by hoping and praying for my BG to come down on its own. I don’t even wait anymore. Good for you for making that connection.

1 Like

Agreed.

As well, we will do a syringe injection so that starts working while we are in the process of swapping out the infusion set.

We will typically NOT see a obvious reason such as you state but an infusion swap seems a reasonable course of action.

3 Likes

I just reread your comments and noticed the quote above. A person using the OmniPod does NOT have to carry the PDM wherever he or she goes. I taught in a multi-building college for 30 years, and I always would leave my PDM in my office when I went to class – sometimes 1/2 mile away from my office, and I would do that for hours at a time. Only once in the years that I taught using the Pod did I have one occlude. My adult students all knew I was diabetic, so I told them I needed to take care of the alarm and took 5 minutes of class time to do so. They were given something to discuss while I was gone. Once the OmniPod is “programmed” at set-up, the wearer can leave it alone. I try to walk at least four miles a day, and again, once I choose my temporary walking basal, I leave the PDM home and go for a walk. I DO throw the whole thing in my purse if I am out and about because that gives me the option of having a meter and the controller with me if something unforeseen happens. I plan on doing the same routine once I get on the DASH system. Using the OmniPod, though, is no more of a hassle than using any other pump system. I am just happy we have the choices we do so everyone can use what works the best for him or her.

2 Likes