MannKind (Afrezza) stock is in a death spiral: bad sign

I’m not an expert in that field-- but common sense dictates that how you describe isn’t how studies actually are approved.

If I could design my own study, I could no doubt prove to you all that I’m a Nigerian prince who you should send $10,000 and your social security number.

These aren’t stupid people, they’re very smart people operating in an environment that isn’t exactly conducive to revolutionary and unprecedented medications.

1 Like

The Nigerians are trying to shake me down right now. But I believe in Afrezza.

Pancreas still works though. Just preparing for the day.

Maybe some good news here – I just saw that United Healthcare is adding Afrezza to ALL its formularies starting Jan 1, 2017 (at Tier 3, I think). So “the largest” insurer is taking Afrezza.

I hate UHC (who, btw, is further hurting me, by dropping Apidra from additional formularies starting Jan 1), but in this case, there’s hope.

BTW, I noticed that they’re also adding Tresiba (Tier 3) and Basalgar (Tier 3 immediately until end of March, then Tier 1). That should help some people.

5 Likes

Looks like it is listed as requiring prior authorization by uhc. Hopefully that is not too onerous.

Edit to add— just looked up their PA requirements. Frankly they’re so absurd that it might as well not be on their formulary. Luckily my insurer just needs a phone call from me to override this kind of absurdity. Oh well at least they’re acknowledging it exists it’s a step in the right direction I hope.

See for yourself

Edit to add again-- Oh well as it catches on more and more it will just require physician staff to endlessly document bouts of needle phobia to qualify until stupid PA requirements are lessened… Physician staff nowadays pretty much spend their days ensuring the hoops for prior authorization are properly jumped through anyways, so I suppose this is nothing new in the big picture

Well, they gave you one more year with Apidra than they did me. They dropped it from my plan’s formulary last Jan. 1.

It doesn’t affect me personally, I’m just thinking of the big picture.

Yes - and they just renewed my Prior Approval last week… We’ll see how long that lasts. On the plus side, my endo prescribed twice my current TDD, so I’ll have plenty of stock… Plus, though I like Apidra better for a number of reasons, I do have almost zero sensitivity to the formulation of Novolog, but get some soreness from higher doses of Apidra. OTOH, if I ever can get Bigfoot’s new device, I already know that Apidra is my only (off-label) option (other than refilling Humalog pen-fills, which I’d rather not try…).

Disclosure notice-- since I am participating in a conversation regarding mnkd stock price I would disclose that as of today I now own a small number of shares in the company. It’s only a small amount-- substantially less than 0.5% of my total portfolio, so I don’t want there to be any misconception that I am or have ever been misrepresenting my experiences with it.

2 Likes

Good time to buy

2 Likes

"Be fearful when others are greedy, and be greedy when others are fearful… "
Warren Buffet

1 Like

"Forgive your enemies, but remember their names."
John F. Kennedy

3 Likes

I knew it @Sam19 you’ve been an Afrezza troll all along!!! :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Lol, yeah… I’m putting all my eggs in one basket and betting my life’s savings and family’s financial security on my ability to pump afrezza to the same couple dozen people I converse with on a diabetes forum online. It’s a master plan.

1 Like

LOL you are a good man Sam. I hope you know I’m just messin’ with you.

1 Like

Yeah I know. Stranger things have happened on the internet though.

Yea, but it reminds me a little of the time when I invested in MP3
Just before they got bought out by Vivendi !

(I’m just messing with you, too, @Sam19)

At least it was a small amount of $ at the time (maybe $500)

Here’s hoping MannKind is a different animal!

Just hope big insulin doesn’t kill it.

1 Like

Just sent the following letter to Michelle O and Joe B at the whitehouse. Congressional reps next. do your think I overstepped?

1.4 million people die from the complications of Diabetes
every year - more than die from cancer and a few other diseases
combined! This is spite of the fact that insulin is widely available in the US.

Only 10% of teenage Type 1s meet their Hba1c blood sugar
targets (blood glucose management metric). Fewer than 40% of adult Type 1s meet
their targets. It is widely acknowledged that the injectable therapies have significant
drawbacks that lead to depression, morbidity and mortality. These insulins
known as Rapid Acting Analogues (RAA) are inept by comparison with the physiologic
insulin of non-diabetics. They lead to life threatening low blood sugars (hypos),
require restrictive diet, activity and daily routine planning in order to work,
yet still yiled unpredictable results.

A new, FDA approved, insulin acts in a physiologic manner. This
insulin is called “Afrezza”. It is REAL Human Insulin, not a chemical analogue.
Type 1 and Type 2 diabetics are very excited by the real world success being experienced
by Afrezza users as reported by them on social media and the internet. However,
Doctors are not prescribing it; HMOs are not covering it (odd, since it is no
more expensive); and, patients who want it encounter all sorts of obstacles
trying to obtain a regular supply.

On the other hand you can read all you want from investors profiting
from shorting the stock of the company that makes Afrezza. The upshot is that
Diabetics are denied the choice to improve their lives with the best available
tools… That anyone denies them this choice borders on the verge of malfeasance
or mispractice. Diabetics deserve a choice.

I encourage you to do your own research into the situation
with Afrezza. It would be far simpler for you to get the download from the most
eminent sources- public figures active in the Diabetes community. The last two
I name are Type 1 diabetics as well. Their contact information can be readily
obtained. They are:

Aaron Kowalski, Chief of Science Mission for Juvenile
Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF)

Michael Castagna, Chief Commercial Officer of Mannkind, the
maker of Afrezza

Professor R. Keith Campbell, MBA, BPharm, CDE, Washington
State University College of Pharmacy –retired. On the advisory board for Novo
Nordisk (a Mannkind competitor)

Please do what you can to make sure Afrezza, a life saving
medication, is an affordable option for all diabetics.

1 Like

how can they force docs to prescribe it? It all depends on how familiar the doc is with Afrezza - its studies, results,pros and cons.

If the doc doesnt know what Afrezza is or prescribe it, he cannot be forced to, you just have to find a new doc.

For Afrezza supply, its the manufacturer responsibility
if you meant, quantity in RX covered by insurance, you have to get RX appropriately and work with your insurance company

1 Like

I applaud your enthusiasm but not sure what the First Lady and Vice President, neither one of which have any actual power whatsoever over anything are supposed to do about it