Markets are surging on vaccine news

Latest:

• 1.5 dose is 90% effective, single dose is 70% effective
  • uses standard refrigeration
  • Cheap: $3 to $4 per shot
  • Easy to manufacture in large amounts

Cooool! Thanks for posting, @John58. That is the 1st State plan I have seen, also. It looks like they are able to get WAY more people than I expected in the 1st phase. WA has been pretty proactive with everything since covid hit. I guess its not surprising that they have their position published already.

Fantastic that they think they can get all the 1st responders and type 2ā€™s. I didnā€™t think they would have enough vacc for that many people. They got CKD! Thats excellent.

Nobody with cancer treatments, HIV, or type 1. I thought they would be in the pool.

Type 2 celebration!!!

Watch out for WA, the powers that be here tend to overpromise and underdeliver. Google our first in the US ā€œpublic optionā€ which is due to start in 6 weeks, itā€™s about as useful to the uninsured as a fart in church.

At any rate, I had gone the past 6 months under the impression that Type 1 was a high risk factor for hospitalization with Covid especially for people over 60. I was surprised to not see Type 1 listed with other co morbitities.

1 Like

This looks like the basis for the list of co morbidities:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/evidence-table.html

Not sure what to make of all this, will talk with my endo. Last time she and I discussed we agreed a Type 1 63 years old has a 50-50 chance of hospitalization if infected. Seems like the clinical papers available in the summer backed that up.

1 Like

A different takeā€¦

1 Like

I will most likely be able to get the vaccine early, because of having coronary artery disease, but my husband wonā€™t be able to get it, so I might as well wait. We will continue to take extreme safety precautions. Funny, I thought my age and lifetime of being a type 1 would be enough.

I live in Idaho, so who knows when they well make decisions about who can get the vaccine early. Hopefully front line workers will be first in line.

3 Likes

Yeah, I dunno. Now that we are seeing exponential growth, it might help control the spread more if they do frontline workers. But, diabetics are crippling the ICUs, so I think its hard to say how this pans out. Different states might be different protocols. Its so interesting.

WA also broke it down into 4 phases, instead of 3.

2 Likes

I agree front line workers should get vaccinated ahead of me, I am able to isolate as long as needed. However ā€œfront line workerā€ can be dumbed down to include a lot of service industry jobs who are just as capable of waiting longer as they work from home. WA includes financial services, real estate, information technology as essentialā€¦are they truly front line workers??

Not trying to be overly selfish here but itā€™s impossible to know, in a state with a population of 7,000,000, whether I should plan on being in the first million or the last million according to the draft guidelines for the vaccine.

Not the kind of transparent policy making these agencies promised. One purpose of transparency in government is to allow the governed to plan ahead.

2 Likes

I think you can be certain, @John58, that if you are not in the 1st phase, you will be in the second. So, they are 2 weeks behind schedule, but you might feel pretty certain that vacc is coming for you in Jan or early Feb. If CDC makes recommendations to do type 1, then its possible you get bumped into December, but I think that since they are behind schedule, Dec might end up being Jan.

The fact that they have more vacc coming through the pipeline might help them catch up to schedule.

1 Like

People are sick everywhere here.
Everybodyā€™s coworkers & their families are sick en masse -
even if they are working remote.
Old ladys are breaking their hips and canā€™t get a hospital bed.
Mayo clinic short staffed.
Iā€™m having groceries delivered via instacart and do not go anywhere.
Bunker down, Everybody. It seems the ā– ā– ā– ā–  is hitting the fan.

National Guard and jail inmates have been called in to haul bodys in El Paso.

A pal from high school who has been in the army, said he was sick for 22 days.
He says he ā– ā– ā– ā–  & coughed blood for days.

For the longest time, it was quiet for us, in terms of hearing about the virus.

In the beginning, a woman I work with had 3 men in her social circle die, all with comorbidities, but also all Black, as well as - I believe - members of the same church, but she is the only one I knew with that severity, and a work colleague, so not close. A cousinā€™s son had Covid, but heā€™s 20 and was fine, and he gave it to his father, but he was okay too, but it was a bit scarier as he is older. My 85-year old mother-in-law contracted Covid and spent several weeks at home, finding it hard to breathe if she talked more than 30 seconds. This was very concerning, since we couldnā€™t go to visit her even though she is 40 blocks (2 miles) away. She survived without major complications, had a positive antibody test, but recently found out she has some lung scarring as a result.

Now, my spouse is hearing about people in New Jersey that are having big get-togethers, and larger numbers of people with infections. These are not fit people, many are very overweight, likely having comorbidities, so we might start hearing of bad outcomes. New York, particularly Manhattan, is still pretty safe in terms of percentages, with almost everyone on the street masked and physically distanced, in their pods, but there are worrying signs, upticks in the R-rates, although those are now trending down.

1 Like

After Thanksgiving in Canada their rates went up. Iā€™m willing to sacrifice this yearā€™s holidays for years to come. Hopefully we will all be vaccinated by then.

1 Like

Ordering groceries from Walmart online.

1 Like

Please let me know if you guys hear anything at all. I think Iā€™m a top candidate for a job I just interviewed for, but they are having people physically come in to work. Iā€™m not doing that and I told them so. Iā€™ll come in once vaccinated. I wish they would have reached out a week or two later once we knew more.

Iā€™ll watch the CDC briefing from Nov 19th: LIVE: White House Task Force briefing in Washington DC. | By WKRG | Facebook

min 15 - Vaccine talk
min 22 - Vaccine distribution
min 33 - Redfield (Dir. CDC)

Nothing new here. They recommend looking at this from 6 days agoā€¦
https://www.fema.gov/sites/default/files/documents/fema_covid-19-vaccination-planning_faq_11-19-2020.pdf

No new news that I can findā€¦

Just reaffirming that Long Term Care will be first to vaccinate. Also, increased mention of First Responders (EMTs, Paramedics, cops) for 1st vacc.

I go into work every day. There are strict protocols. So Iā€™m not so worried.
No one has become positive from a work exposure since the beginning.
I really think it has everything to do with how the company handles it.

1 Like

They canā€™t do it right in a lab setting - what a joke

This states it all right here

Another point of confusion comes from a decision to pool results from two groups of participants who received different dosing levels to reach an average 70% effectiveness,

I heard that. I also heard that people who had not contracted covid seemed to have better vaccine efficacy - so you want to not get covid and have lower dose vacc for best efficacy.

I used to work with people who I trusted with my life, @Timothy. I used to make a point of only working with people like that.

Iā€™m no longer in a situation where that is possible. Iā€™m gonna be working with software people and they are not the same type of people. I donā€™t even trust them not to steal stuff off my desk. Itā€™s a bit of culture shock for me, if Iā€™m honest. Its been a painful sort of transition. I really miss working with and for people who I trust.

1 Like

It would take 7 swat teams to give me that shot - they would not care if you grew 6 heads down the road if they made one penny a shot

2 Likes