Martha's Part of the Pact

My name is Martha, half of the Better Betics Pact. As Andrew said, I was diagnosed with Diabetes at the age of three and am now sixteen years old. Living with Diabetes for almost thirteen years, many think I should have perfect control over my disease- I don’t.For years I have struggled to keep my A1C under control, both for things beyond my control and my own pure laziness/ resistance to my Endo and parent’s advice. One saving grace in my life was the insulin pump; I throughly believe my life would either be gone or in extreme danger of dying if I had not had gotten in my life ( a personal story I might share if this blog garners any attention). And the pump is also the reason for this pact on my part. At my latest endochrinology appointment, I received an ultimatum. Although my A1C was 7.5 (not a bad number at all), my doctors pointed out my chronic lack of testing and resulting extreme lows and highs ( with no follow - up glucose checks of course), my inconsistent bolusing methods, and not recording my blood sugars regularly. With that in mind, they told me I would have 4 weeks to pull my act together to both check, use the Bolus Wizard feature on my pump for accurate boluses, and to record my numbers. If I didn’t, they would take away my pump and put me back on shots (something I promised myself I would NEVER do again) and not allow me to even take my driver’s permit test. My mother promised to take away everything else I love until I did it, especially being allowed to perform in my high school’s musical something that I absolutely love to do. Not wanting to do it alone ( Diabetes control, like exercise, is better done with someone in the same situation who can hold you accountable and you them), I approached Andrew about making a pact to become better Diabetics to live healthy, happier lives. He agreed and our pact is put into place. Each time either one of us tests our blood sugar, we either text, online chat, or call each other with our result. Good blood sugars are celebrated with a “yay!”, a “nice”, or a “good job” while a bad blood sugar gets an “aww”, an “it’s okay”, and “Correct for it now and it will get better.” Even though it’s been a few days since we started, I am already starting to feel a difference. It’s becoming a habit to test and then tell Andrew, but I’m also starting to feel my blood sugars better (I’m notoriously known for not feeling my lows and highs). Hopefully, Andrew and I can not only remember to take our blood sugars and boluses, but also improve all areas of our Diabetic care- I know I need it, and I’m sure Andrew would same the thing too.

Congrats on your new dedication to living a healthier life as a person with diabetes!!! Though i have to say I am a bit put off by your mother and endocrinologist’s methods. I am sure they are only trying to help, but punishing you for the way you take care of yourself, taking things away from you and holding it over your head seemed WRONG!!! I like your pact idea, it seems to be a great start.

Good luck Martha and Andrew, you can do it. Make it a habit. Make everyone proud but do it for yourself.

Thanks Renee! We’re both going to work really hard to make sure we keep this up! I just don’t want to let myself slip, or start to run high… Seeing high numbers really discourages me from testing. We’ll keep you posted, and for sure make our selves proud!
-Andrew