MDI or Pump?

Are you all on a pump or MDI? Right now I am on MDI about to switch to a pump because I am having a really hard time keeping my numbers down(alot of highs at night and in the morning). Just curious how you are achieving such good success.

I’ve been on a pump for almost 3 months. I had decent control before the pump, probably a bit peakier because of an inconsistent lantus basal. The biggest difference, for me, was being able to use the adjustable basal rates to establish a fairly stable 24 hour line withou having to micromanage highs and lows as much. The single biggest improvement was with my overnight BG. I’ve dropped my average overnight BG by 10-20 points

I am a pumper …a big help for me : my numbers went up for the past 1 1/ 2 days and realized , that our very, very cool temperatures are affecting me; I require more insulin …I am able to tweak my basal rates, enough to give me better results.

I have gradually increasing basal rates during the night. I can program as many different basal rates as I want. That has completely eliminated my DP (morning highs). I wake up in the 80-100 range every morning.

I’m an MDIer for 49 years. I’m not a flat-liner but I am in line usually 75-80 percent of the time when I’m paying attention which works Good for me. I just got my test results back last month and most things are in line. I am here to learn also.

You haven’t had Diabetes for very long Adam. Do you know if you are still in the “honeymoon phase”? There are many things in Life that affect each of us but may also affect each of us somewhat differently. Like the heat of summer brings my sugars down. Some People, say it does not for them. Some People have major DP problems. The pump seems to help these People. Some do not have a Big problem with it. There are many tricks to the trade that may or may not work for or suit you. It has taken the rest of us many years to get it to where we understand Diabetes, ourselves, our treatment/regimen and are doing Good. Some of us eventually decide that we need/want a pump to fine tune in order to get Better scores than we have and perhaps a CGM. The pump and CGM do not work for everyone however.

Nice photo!! :slight_smile:

Hi Terrie. When I looked at your reply I thought you were “Terrie 9”. There is a “Terrie8” in the membership. Lol!
I also see my BG’s drop in hot weather, and rise in colder weather, but that may have something to do with the increase/decrease in activity at those times of the year. I have a friend in Southern California who says his BG’s do not vary like that. The climate in his area is very stable compared to mine in New York, so there is not a lot of change in temperatures.

I agree that morning highs can be eliminated by programming increasing basal rates during our sleep. That is one of the most rewarding features of pumping. “Pumper dumpers” (people who give up on pumping and go back to MDI) are usually the ones who do not really understand the pump and do not put much time into it. Some beginning pumpers seem to think they can load their pump and then it is going to take over all by itself and give them great control. I have never understood anyone thinking like that.

Really great points Richard.

For me, the pump makes diabetes management easier. That doesn’t mean it eliminates the need for me to take an active part in my management. I was fairly obsessive while on MDI because I had to be. I realized there were specific aspects of my management program that were problematic because of MDI. I didn’t want to start splitting my long acting dosage so i can stick myself more everyday, for example.

Going on the pump didn’t eliminate those necessities, it just made them easier to manage. I never even realized I had DP until I went on the pump, but the pump also gave me the tools to deal with it effectively.

The pump is definitely not set and forget.

In addition to the dual wave, a huge help for me was nailing down how long before eating to take my insulin. Back before I really got serious about taking care of myself, I would randomly take my insulin anywhere from 5 minutes before eating to 15 minutes after. For some reason I had this real nasty fear of going low because of taking insulin too far in advance. Now that I have figured out that I need to take my bolus about 25 minutes before eating, I’m not scared of it anymore and it’s making a huge difference in my postprandial numbers.

I'm on a pump, 4 years this March.

-Lloyd

pump for over 6 yrs and steady carbs at no more the 130 grams a day, working out daily at least 45 mins and really working with my meal boluses weather using a square wave or dual wave depending on high fat or protein. and lots of testing and CGM usage lol