Me again, back with more questions and ramblings!

Hi all, me again!....So I saw my endo last week, my GAD antibodies were positive, low c-peptide, she confirmed me as type 1. I forgot to get a copy of my labs because honestly my 4yr old was with me and let's face it 4 yr olds can lead to mamas forgetting things ;)....anyway we decided on a 1 unit Humalog/10carb ratio with a 1 unit correction/per 50 over 100 preprandial. So far it seems to be working out well except for on weekends, weekends for me are super busy and active, during the week I sit at a desk most of the day working, weekends I spend running, walking, playing with my kiddos. This past weekend we went away for the weekend and I felt like the entire weekend I was chasing lows, my lowest being 46, which made me feel horrible. So I need to adjust per my activity level and weekends seem to be a big factor....is that normal? I am thinking it must be and I am thinking I just have to figure out what works best for me.
The other thing I forgot to ask is about alcohol, can I have a drink? I don't mean getting drunk, I mean a glass of wine or a beer with dinner? is it worth the hassle of adjusting dosages? (I have read it can initially raise levels and then drop them and hypo is a big risk) I suppose that would ultimately be up to me if it is worth it or not but just wondering if you all drink any alcohol and if so how it affects your levels?
The other thing is we discussed pumping, she feels I am perfect for a pump, she gave me info on the MM Revel, I have done some research, I like the aspect of CGM because honestly I am really anal with the numbers, I like knowing where I am at, etc but I am just being honest here, I wonder about how it will all work, the tubing and such, how will I wear certain things? like dresses? slim fitting shirts? which I live in during the summer!! I suppose that sounds vain to worry about how I will look with a pump attached to me but I am after all a woman and I am at times vain LOL. I also did some research on the Omnipod, which seems to get mixed reviews, I ordered the demo kit just to take a look at it and see what it is all about. I have time to figure this all out, I won't be seeing my endo again until August and by then hopefully I have a better idea of what pump best suits me, but if any of you have any pump advice I would love to hear it, the good, the bad and the ugly!
Thanks for again reading my ramblings, I feel like I have a constant swirl of questions running thru my head these days!

Hi Kimmiejo,
I have the Animas Ping and Dexcom 7 both work great. They are already combined in the UK waiting approval here in the US. Animas has great customer service..

https://www.dexcom.com/search/1?utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=BrandedEV&utm_extra=dim1/Branded//dim2/Broad&utm_term=dexcom.com&gclid=CNDRus6zgrACFYFo4Aod6l8jHQ

http://www.animas.com/animas-insulin-pumps/onetouch-ping

The combined product.
http://animascorp.co.uk/animasVibe

Thanks! I will check out those links!

• Weekends vs Weekdays - Yes, it's totally normal to have different insulin requirements on the weekends. I need about 2-4 units/day less on the weekends because I'm far less active (compared to during work when I am generally sitting most of the day). I have a different basal pattern set for the weekends to accommodate this.
  • Alcohol - Yes, you can have a drink. BUT, realize a few things. Most T1s spike and then crash when drinking. I have had some of my worst lows when drinking. And the problem is that people just assume you're a little tipsy. I follow some general rules with alcohol that have worked out well (and I wasn't always this disciplined, age has just made me wiser). I never drink alone and I never drink if I know I'm going to be sleeping alone. I only drink with food (never on an empty stomach!) and I test a bit more frequently, especially if I'm having more than one or two glasses of wine. I stick to only wine and beer -- hard alcohol DOES NOT work for me. I never have more than one glass of wine or one beer when away from home. My friends all know I'm a T1 and they know that if I start acting weird while drinking, they are to instruct me to test (when I get really low, I am fairly compliant about testing, even if I have no idea what I'm doing). Experiment in a safe setting (i.e., when home with another competent adult) and find what works for you. Everyone is different.
  • Pumps - In short, they are awesome if you're willing to put the time and energy into pumping. Start by reading "Pumping Insulin" and doing research on the three main pumps currently available in the U.S. (Minimed Revel, Animas Ping, and Omnipod). I have the Revel and LOVE IT. Some folks really like the tubeless aspect of the Omnipod, and some love the screen of the Ping. The Ping and Revel and pretty comparable, except the Revel does have the built-in CGM. Keep in mind that you may get the Revel and decide that the CGM isn't for you. I've tried CGMs and I know some folks LOVE THEM, but for me the CGM just had too many issues and wasn't worth the cost and scar tissue. I stay more honest with just testing a lot with my meter. But you should give it all a try and see what works for you. I did get the sample pod from Omnipod and found that it was harder to hide under my clothes than I realized.
  • Clothing & Pumps - I have no trouble at all hiding my pump. You have to be a little creative, but it's not impossible. With dresses (I wear lots of these, especially in summer), I put my pump down the front of my bra with the belt clip removed. I am pretty small on top so I wear those little cami bras. I put my pump inside a baby to keep it from getting all slimy and sweaty. Sometimes I clip it to my pants with the screen of the pump facing on the inside to make it less noticeable (and from banging into things). I will also sometimes cut a small hole in my pants/shorts pocket and thread the tubing in through the hole and keep the pump in my pocket. With skirts (which I've been wearing a lot of recently), I clip the pump to the waist band, often in the small of my back or off to the side. Or I wear a Spibelt with the pump in the small of my back. I do find that there are some clothes I stay away from (really low-cut dresses, for example), because it's too hard to hide the pump. But even with those you can get a leg halter and it would probably work. Bottom line - there are very few clothes I don't wear because of my pump!! You just have to be a little creative.

If you do want a pump, do all your education work now. Your insurance may make you submit documentation that you've had sessions with a dietician specifically on carb counting and pumping. They may also require your GAD and c-peptide results. However, the approval process is far easier now than it was years ago. Pumps can really be excellent tools. Granted, some folks prefer shots, but I love the freedom and finer control that I'm able to get using a pump.

Thanks! all very useful info! I actually work for my insurance company so I have a leg up on the ins and outs of coverage of pumps, that works to my advantage because I can have all my ducks in a row before submitting for the coverage, health insurance is my gig (don't hate me haha) I did see the leg thingys for the pump and for dresses that seems a good option, I am a pretty small girl, TMI I don't even have to wear a bra much of the time, it's a curse lol....as for drinking I think down the line I will give it a go and see how I react, luckily I have my husband to watch out for me and I wouldn't drink without him or someone else around that is educated on my diabetes, once I muster the courage to try it I will probably start with a glass of wine with dinner and test like a mad woman to figure out how my body reacts. Thanks for the tips, they are great!....by the way I love your screen name "mybustedpancreas" truer words never spoken! I was thinking of changing mine to "mypancreashatesme" ;)

With the alcohol thing I find that I can drink a couple glasses of wine with dinner with no lows and no need to bolus extra. For beer, I like dark beers so I bolus 14 carbs and never have more than one. It works better with lower carb meals. Wine is easier than beer imho. I have a potluck I go to once a month where the wine flows and I tend to drink a bit more wine then and I have to test frequently to make sure I don't go low usually later at home.

Pumps - I adore my Ping and would never go back to shots. But it is a steep learning curve and my advice would be to get really comfortable with counting carbs, I:C ratios, ISF, correcting and tweaking doses before you go to the pump. (I didn't check how long you've been on MDI). Then get "Pumping Insulin" by John Walsh. (and read Using Insulin by Walsh if you haven't already)

Just got my pump the other day and I love it!! I have the mm revel and I don’t even mind the cord you just tuck it in your pants good to go! And what’s not to love about no more shots! Lol

thanks! very helpful and I will add that book to my list!

right LOL...I have to say the shots don't bother me much now but I also haven't been doing them for that long, no doubt it will get old real quick! Glad you love your pump!

Haha!! I sometimes picture my pancreas just sitting around inside me, drinking magaritas and sunbathing.

Fortunately, most insurance companies are pretty willing now to cover pumps for T1s. The control pumps can provide is SO MUCH better. Back in the day, getting covered for a pump was a nightmare, and insurance companies were very unwilling to disclose their exact criteria. Times have changed for the better in this regard.

Hi Kimmiejo: I am so glad that you got the antibody testing and know that you have Type 1 diabetes. I wrote top ten tips for the newly diagnosed Type 1 that you may find useful. I think others have given you excellent advice here. In terms of alcohol, I find that wine is the easiest to accomodate. I just have a glass with a meal, and it does not impact my blood sugar. Regarding the pump, I think it is really the way to go, and you can have a "weekend" pump setting that helps keep you from going low. I would caution you that learning the pump is a lot of work, and learning the pump and CGM at one time, especially when you are newly diagnosed, could be overwhelming. I have the Animas One Touch Ping and the Dexcom CGM. Gary Scheiner, who wrote the book "Think Like a Pancreas," wears the Minimed pump but uses the Dexcom CGM because it tends to be more accurate. Things to think about. Anyhow, I am glad you have a correct diagnosis, and good for you for being your own best advocate.

thanks! those are great tips! I am so happy I took matters in my own hands and didn't leave it all up to general doctor, she just kept saying "you are 37, had gestational diabetes twice so you are type 2" I felt that was wrong from the start, heck even when I was preggo I felt like I shouldn't have GD and that something else was probably going on and wish I would have seen an endo then instead of a maternal fetal med provider, of course hindsight is 20/20 and we can't change the past only move forward. I def won't be rushing into the pump, for now shots are working ok and don't bother me so much, I want to be armed with all avail info before embarking on the pump because it does seem somewhat complicated (especially as a new diabetic) so I plan on reading, reading, reading and researching as much as possible. My cousin is also LADA and I will be seeing him this weekend, he has the Revel now and likes it a lot so I will be asking him 10,000 questions! Thanks again everyone for the tips and recommendations! much appreciated!

yes! apparently my pancreas is sipping the margaritas that I no longer can! my pancreas really does hate me haha.....and yes the criteria isn't to rigid for pumps at least not the company I work for, seems like an easy device to get covered which makes life much easier!