Me

I am a 44 year old type 1-1.5 diabetic.(I am still in the honeymoon stage thanks to the early diagnosis and a clinical trial I did, though I did drop out of it early because I found they had been giving me inaccurate information on my blood counts and could no longer trust them)

I was diagnosed at age 38. Had no prior symptoms, no family history,
was only about 10 lbs overweight and fairly active.

My story is that I woke up one morning a
week after a steroid shot given for hives with severely blurred vision.
Was told it was probably a reaction to steroid shot, then was told I
had age degenerative eye problem.

I refused to accept either diagnosis because it just didn’t seem right and
upon recommendation of eye doctor insisted upon blood glucose test (Dr
didn’t think it was necessary) which came back at 422.

My biggest
frustrations were: getting properly diagnosed (1st endocrinologist
said I had Type 2-even though I was GAD positive); finding a good
endocrinologist (see above); getting an appointment (took 6 months)to
finally hear the diagnosis from a doctor though at that point I already
knew my diagnosis from my own research; proper diabetes nutritional training
(if I ate how they told me I would be in really bad shape right now- telling me I could eat 135 grams of carbs a day
before I even started insulin was insane) – along with being in a group who
were all Type 2, twice my age and had serious weight issues; and a complete
lack of information out there for managing type 1 while performing
strenuous athletic activity (no one tells you that while exercise lowers
your blood sugar overall – strenuous exercise-I play soccer- raises blood levels
excessively high while being performed) and I still have not found a lot
of info on managing this.

The good part of diabetes: it led me to eat better and take better
care of myself; I exercise more; most of the information is out there if you really look; I
realized sugar is addicting and makes you feel like crap (though I still
love it).

The real facts are: most people don’t seek out more information (I
was amazed at the lack of knowledge of my co-attendees at the
nutritional training-many of whom had been diagnosed long before me);
most people are not proactive and may be misdiagnosed and not treated
properly; most people do not choose to change their lifestyle and suffer
the many consequences that the disease has to offer.

I still get frustrated over my lack of ability to totally control my blood sugars and having to carry all the crap (blood meter/insulin) around. It took me 4 years to get used to remembering stuff and even now I will still occasionally forget to check my blood sugar or do insulin.

I also get frustrated at the lack of knowledge surrounding LADA and the fact that most people assume I am Type 2 (even though I tell them I am not) and tell me all the ways I can cure myself…HA! like if it were that simple I wouldn’t have already done it.

I do not define myself as a diabetic although I clearly am diabetic but I am also so many other things.
I consider it a personal issue and inconvenience I have to deal with and while close family and friends know, I only tell others on a need to know basis.

Wow…we do have similar stories. It is frustrating but, like you, Diabetes has made me more knowledgable about health, nutrition and exercise. I actually do feel lucky because without Diabetes I would still be 50 pounds overweight and wouldn’t be exercising like I do now. I get down and frustrated and overwhelmed many days but, overall, life is good. This site is helping me soooooo much. I love knowing that all of you are out there and know how I feel and what I am going through. So…cheers to TuDiabetes and cheers to Diabetes for bringing us together in this healthy life we now lead.

Yep, lots of us been there, and know exactly how frustrated you were/are. (Great that you’ve already hooked up with Melitta, who I believe will singlehandedly change the world’s misperceptions of T1s!)

Ever onward!