Medical Cannabis?

@Dave26 You are so right, and my bad for letting myself get triggered into a cyber spat :sunglasses:

Now, I’m really hoping that chocolate car is both no sugar added and infused with medical cannabis. If it is, you will be my best friend forever.

@rgcainmd Please stop sending me antagonistic private messages. Moving on. Welcoming you to join me.

I am just a mere high school graduate but I have the wisdom to see that this heated exchange is making both participants look rather silly.

You are both highly educated and intellegent that is plain to see. I hope you are both smart enough to reign in your professional egos and end this arguement.

I am so very confused. Agreeing with something you posted is “antagonistic”?

Please, follow Dave’s advice and give it a rest. Let’s eat us a sugar-free chocolate car instead. :yum:

@rgcainmd How about let’s just say no more private messages then. Post it for the group if you think it’s relevant.

I believe that exchanges on a personal level are more appropriately held via PM.

Bringing this back on topic… here are some of the things I wonder about and would enjoy hearing from others’ experience about:

1. Do you live in a state where you can use MC? If so, have you ever considered using it for diabetic complications?
  2. Do you have neuropathic pain? How would you describe it? Context: I’ve had type 1 diabetes for 33 years and had no pain symptoms until I shattered a vertebra and four ribs in a horse riding accident. Shortly after the surgery, I developed debilitating muscle cramping and nerve pain. Through testing, discovered severe hashimoto’s thyroiditis and hoped that was the cause of the cramping and pain, but medication hasn’t alleviated the symptoms. Doctors think it is a cascading dynamic caused by spinal cord injury, severe hypothyroidism and diabetic neuropathy. I’m wondering if anyone else has neuropathy like this?
  3. If you do have similar symptoms, how are you treating it?
  4. What is your opinion about medical cannabis in general?

1. Yes, but it’s not just MC. The menu at dispensary is impressive to find what will fit your need.
  2. No, but I lived with incredible head pain for some time and was not able to use aspirin meds and so marijuana was helpful both for relieving the pain and to help sleep.
  3. No neuropathy so N/A. Marijuana had no affect on my hypothyroidism that I know of.
  4. My opinion is that it helps. I promote all efforts to make medical marijuana available for children wracked with epileptic seizure where it is proven to work where pharma meds don’t.

One more opinion I have is that often folks think that use of MC, or any kind of marijuana is to get “high”. I never got “high” during my use, I just relieved pain and was able to sleep. Those kids who are able to use MC have improved lives and health and happiness. They are not high, they are sans seizures and happy. There are lots of studies on this.

Go for it Ahnalira.

I have never, at any time in my life, used cannabis for medical purposes, so I won’t offer an opinion.

But I WANT ONE OF THOSE CHOCOLATE CARS!! NOW!!

[quote=“David_dns, post:31, topic:57691, full:true”]
I have never, at any time in my life, used cannabis for medical purposes, so I won’t offer an opinion.[/quote]Hmmmmmmmmm… (scratching head, stroking chin…)

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

[quote]But I WANT ONE OF THOSE CHOCOLATE CARS!! NOW!!
[/quote]They’re awesome, but something tells me they don’t mix well with cannabis AND diabetes :grin:

@karen57 Sleeping well through the night would truly be heaven!

The reason I wonder about autoimmune is because of a study done in Israel where 50 pre-type 1 diabetic (I don’t know how they can determine that, but the study says they did) were given high CBD mc and 50 were given nothing. Of the 50 given nothing, 100% developed type 1 diabetes, and of the 50 given high CBD mc only 15 developed type 1 diabetes. They are doing further studies now to determine what exactly the impact of the high CBD mc was…but seems promising to me.

My doctor just contacted me and agreed to do the paperwork so that I can grow my own MC legally. Living on 5 acres out in the country with a HUGE barn sets me up perfectly to do some growing, lab testing, and tweaking to determine what works best for me. I think it’s going to be a fun adventure :smiley: …could even “grow” into a business living in a legal state as I do :wink:

Thanks for your response and glad you got relief from headaches!

With enough medical cannabis, I could make that chocolate car disappear.

I don’t need cannabis in order to do that. :sunglasses:

When I was diagnosed in 1977, the only advice I could find was that Diabetics (sic) should avoid smoking dope because they might experience an irresistible attack of the munchies that would lead them to exceed their exchange allowances. I took that as “we don’t know any good reason not to do it…”

I do agree about the alternative medicine aspects, but as a recreational pastime carried out in moderation, it seems pretty benign.

I have no issue with marijuana as a recreational drug: I have never seen any evidence to convince me it’s more dangerous than alcohol or as dangerous as tobacco (operating vehicles and machinery while high aside). I don’t drink or use any mind-altering drugs myself, but I am in favor of legalization for various (largely social justice) reasons.

All that being said, I am an avid reader of the science behind drugs (with a PhD in biology): I have seen so many claims in the popular media and on social media about the amazing benefits of medical cannabis, but I haven’t seen them backed up in the medical and scientific literature. And there have been plenty of studies. Most of them are inconclusive or point towards the two, acknowledged uses of cannabis: appetite stimulation and nausea suppression in patients with serious illness (undergoing chemo, progressed AIDS, MD, etc.). And I hope that, with what looks like inevitable legalization in the US given the current trends, that more research will come along.

But when friends ask me what my opinion is on whether they should or shouldn’t use cannabis medically (I suppose those trust my biological background and research credentials, since I’m not a doctor of people), I tell them I don’t know. The jury is out on how useful it is, and there is too much propaganda on both sides of the issue: pro-legalization folks say cannabis is a miracle drug that will do everything from removing warts to curing unwanted pregnancies; prohibition-favoring folks say cannabis will make you go crazy and kill your grandma before jumping off a roof. From what I’ve seen, it’s definitely in the middle. It’s just another intoxicant that has some very useful side-effects when it comes to appetite and nausea suppression!

It does have some (obviously) dis-associative effects, which means it’s a prime candidate for treatment in a hospice situation: if you’re terminal, and nothing else is making you feel better, smoke/eat/absorb all the cannabis (and whatever else you can get your hands on) you can!

I couldn’t care less about the recreational issue. Not an iota. My concern is the same as Rose’s. Diabetics today use a far greater variety of medications than they did back in the day, and a substantial number have other conditions that involve the use of yet more drugs. The interactions have not been studied adequately, IMOP.

In fact, the issue isn’t unique to diabetes. Medical uses of cannabis haven’t been mainstream until quite recently (assuming for the sake of discussion that they are, now). There are large swathes of the pharmacopoeia whose affects and counter-effects with THC have never received a serious look.

$0.02

Yeah, the idea that cannabis should be illegal, from a medical standpoint is incredibly inconsistent with everything else that’s done. As far as risks go, it’s clearly not on the level of either alcohol or tobacco, let alone the other scheduled substances.

That said, one of the concerns about cannabis, as previously mentioned by @rgcainmd, is that it appears to inhibit cytochrome p450 liver enzymes, particularly the CYP3A group which does a lot of the metabolism of a lot of medications (including many psych meds, opiates, statins). Many things that seem perfectly benign (e.g., grapefruit, St. John’s Wort) can cause serious problems because they act on this system (which is why many meds say not to mix with grapefruit, and why there are women out there who got pregnant while taking birth control pills with St. John’s Wort). Some evidence suggests cannabis has an even stronger effect than grapefruit on some of these enzymes. Those kinds of interactions can result in either functional overdoses or underdoses of your other meds. If you don’t take any other meds, that’s probably not a big deal. If it were me, as someone who takes meds metabolized by the p450 system (and I’m guessing that’s true of a number of people on this board), I’d definitely be looking at potential p450 interactions before regularly consuming cannabis. That’s not even to say that interactions mean you inherently can’t take it, but it might require a lot more caution and working with your doctors re: how to deal with your other meds, whether altering doses or monitoring blood levels or keeping an eye out for signs that things need adjusting.

It’s amazing how many people in the medical profession don’t pay attention to this kind of thing—I work in psychiatric settings where polypharmacy is the norm, and it’s a very mixed bag re: whether even doctors are attentive to these kinds of interactions and adequately warn patients about them.

Exactly. We don’t know what we don’t know. Doing my best to sort through grist and find some grains of truth. So far, Israel studies have been the best I’ve found. Mostly the endocannabinoid system is what I find fascinating. Lately, I am digging deeper into the terpenes and non psychoactive cannabinoids… there is so much we don’t know scientifically, that I turn to peoples’ personal experience as a valid resource of documentation.

How a chemical interacts in our bodies is a far reaching topic that should, imho, include artificial sweetners, preservatives, artificial coloring, etc. Too much emphasis on cannabis without tending to the same issues with these other chemicals lacks credibility–for me personally.

Thank you! This very detailed and concrete description fleshes out the issue for me. I am SO in agreement with you about being careful about drug interactions, that I refuse all pharmaceuticals unless my body’s life is threatened without them (ie insulin for type 1 diabetes and natural desiccated thyroid for Hashimoto’s) I am even careful about vitamins and being careful about their interactions.

I agree that being attentive to “the mix” is very important. And, even with the science in hand, every person’s biology is unique… what works for one may not for another, right?

I was a recreational user in my youth–gave it up with parenthood. At this stage of my life, I have no interest in the psychoactive components… just a very strong desire to deal effectively with pain without the use of opioids. I’ve tried all kinds of things that my doctor recommended, leading to her current diagnosis of “intractable pain” Medical cannabis is the next on the list for me to consider and explore.

With my doc’s support, I am going to grow a few strains that “said” to help with neuopathic pain, get them lab tested, as well as continue to have lab testing done on my body… working toward a solution. I’d rather find my own definitive answers than wait for science at large to figure it out :wink: