Medical Cannabis?

Ok, that’s what I thought.

What, that your doctor could help you?

1 Like

If there is a promising EO for T1D, it has escaped my attention, otherwise I would have incorporated it into my daily routines WITH my insulin.
Where have I suggested abandoning surgery, chemotherapy &/or radiation treatments?? Rather, I choose not to randomly throw the potentials of nature into the ditch. If mother nature does not have the ability to help the body heal itself then most medications would not exist now.
Any claims to CURE or even IMPROVE are subject to shutdown by the FDA without years of multi million dollar tests and if they are natural, cannot be patented. Good when it prevents useless and dangerous Snake Oil.
Meanwhile I will finish storing my dried culinary and medicinal herbs and follow up with a couple cups of Catnip Tea for a relaxing sleep. Catnip - Native to Europe and parts of Asia, it has been used in medicine for more than 2000 years, as far back as the early Romans.

For the life of me, and despite reading it several times (both silently and aloud to my two daughter’s) I cannot understand this sentence:

“_ If mother nature does not have the ability to help the body heal itself then most medications would not exist now. _”

Rather: If a handful of really smart dudes (Marie Curie, I count you among them) did not figure out chemistry and physics and biochemistry and pathophysiology, then most medications would not exist now.

I, too, will retire after I swallow a lovely capsule of Belsomra (Suvorexant) which I know is safe when appropriately prescribed and used because the FDA says so…

You’re both making the same point that every atom / molecule on the planet is just composed of the same chemical elements. Just as not only the ones approved by the FDA can be beneficial, the ones without can be dangerous too. Every medication on the planet are just manipulations of elements put here by nature.

1 Like

My point exactly. Everything in and on this big blue and green marble in space that we call home
is composed of a single element or combination of elements listed on the Periodic Table of the Elephants. (Essential oils included!)

1 Like

Oh, come on Sam: repost what you just deleted or I will track you down and make you sing that song on NPR!

Meh… I realized right as I posted it that it was a lie… so I deleted it

I would point you to EverythingEssential.me if the site was not pulled - potentially d/t user postings of “This helped my xxx” or worse “This cured my xxx”. Now when I question “Why did I grow this herb” I search and pay attention to WebMD. For references for particular health problems I refer to my paper copy of Modern Essentials Usage Guide. I never rely on a single source of claims.
Melaleuca commonly known as Tea Tree Oil became a go to for me. In my experience, it definitely eradicated Scabies by soaking in tub with it added with only 3 daily soaks. I apply to cuts and scrapes and it eliminated a minor infection. Provides quick relief from bug bites and stings. Unconfirmed help with itchy scalp and occasional acne.
In my experience, Frankincense and Myrrh eliminates a foot pain which makes it nearly impossible to walk barefoot on my floor.
And as mentioned, tea from my home grown catnip helps with sleep.
None of these are immediate results, for instance the foot took 7-10 days initially.

I believed you.

I wanted you to teach me that song… :broken_heart: :sob:

Are not a majority of medications originally inspired by nature and then concentrated and/or synthesized? Yes I’d rather carry a bottle of aspirin rather than a willow tree. History of aspirin: Medicines made from willow and other salicylate-rich plants appear in clay tablets from ancient Sumer as well as the Ebers Papyrus from ancient Egypt.[1][2]:8-13 Hippocrates referred to their use of salicylic tea to reduce fevers around 400 BC, and were part of the pharmacopoeia of Western medicine in classical antiquity and the Middle Ages.[1] Willow bark extract became recognized for its specific effects on fever, pain and inflammation in the mid-eighteenth century.[3] By the nineteenth century pharmacists were experimenting with and prescribing a variety of chemicals related to salicylic acid, the active component of willow extract

1 Like

Not buying the ‘originally inspired by nature’ part. Suspect “inspired by curiosity, fueled by knowledge and intellect, and brought to fruition by the incredible persistence necessary to devise and orchestrate solid scientific trials to demonstrate safety and efficacy” would be more along the lines of what the discoverers and developers of medications would likely say.

Don’t get me wrong. I truly appreciate nature, particularly from a visual and scientific perspective.

Yes, it’s pulled.

It’s great that these oils help with some skin problems and insomnia, but can they cure any major disease? Like chronic diseases, diseases that require emergency treatment or any disease that requires people to stay in the hospital for multiple days? According to your first reference, basically all regular drugs are bad, symptomatic treatment with many side effects, while essential oils are magical ‘intelligent’ stuff that cure the underlying cause of the disease and have no side effects at all. So I want to see some examples. Anyone can make vague claims. Look, I don’t have any problems with people using essential oils or other herbal medicine for some minor issues. I do have problems with these websites that engage in disdainful talk about regular medicine (‘allopathy’) and pretend that essential oils can replace regular medicine. They can’t. Essential oils are not a viable alternative.

1 Like

Well, on a completely uncontroversial note I’d like to draw attention to how cool it is that we simply wouldn’t exist without Supernovae.

Nor would cannabis. Or Belsomra.

Gotta love them Supernovae :grin:

2 Likes

We are stardust, we are golden, we are billion year old carbon - Joni Mitchel

3 Likes

For me, the answer is yes. Find a natural source, extract the primary ingredient in the natural source that creates the desired action, concentrate and synthesize, and patent. Voila.

But then, I am in agreement with most of what you say @JJM1 and it would appear that, based on the group posting to this topic, we are in the minority. I was in the minority back in the 70’s when I stopped eating sugar because I decided it was addictive, and I was in the minority back in the early 90’s when I stopped eating artificial sweetners because my intuition told me they were harmful to my body’s health. So, being in the minority works out ok for me :wink:

We grow a variety of medicinal herbs in our garden and add them to our salads from Spring to Fall. Dandelion greens as a liver tonic, sorrel as an immune system tonic, basil and oregano as natural antibacterial and antiviral, etc, etc…
I use diatomaceous earth to periodically cleanse for parasites, and give it to my dogs and horses for the same benefit. The efficacy of Thieves oil to drop a virus in its tracks continues to blow my mind–during Thanksgiving, everyone caught the viral cold my daughter brought with her… I started dosing with Thieves oil as soon as I showed any symptoms, and I am the only one who never got congested… just a little tired for a few days.

I consider medicinal herbs, supplements, and essential oils to be preventative as well as the first level of treatment. That said, they are not as concentrated as pharmaceuticals and, in cases, where that concentration is necessary or where there is no natural option (to take the place of insulin in my body, for example) I am grateful to have the options provided by Pharma.

Coming back to medical cannabis, I prefer it to the side effects of Vicodin and gabapentin, hands down. CBD from hemp has been working for me–without any problems–since 2014. I think that’s a long enough period of time for complications to arise. Adding a small component of THC, along with all of the other cannabinoids and terpenes that any whole plant medicine offers (as a plus, imho) is the next adventure/experiment for me. I don’t drink alcohol, and I have no interest in using medical cannabis to alter my mind–it’s all about freedom from nerve pain, decreasing overall inflammation in my body, and being open to the possibility that the endocannabinoid system in my body will work better with supplementation.

Do you eat diatomaceous earth?

1 Like

You can dust chickens with it to rid them of mites

What about ridding them of fleas? Ticks? Bed bugs? Very small children?

What would happen if I dusted my cat with it? My other cat? My dog?

Yes anything with an exoskeleton will be destroyed by any physical contact with it

1 Like