Medical Mutterings -- When A Health Profession Should Zip It

I had the funniest – most horrifying – comment from a health professional on Thursday. I still can’t quite believe it.

I had an ultrasound of my abdomen scheduled and for the procedure they ask you to finish drinking 32 ounces of water an hour before the test. This fills and thins out the bladder (getting it out of the way) for the first half of the test.

Of course, this is quite a challenge, especially for a lady of (ahem!) a certain age.

When the ultrasound tech came out to get me, I had some stiffness in my gait as she walked me down the hall. I’m always a bit stiff when I first rise from sitting for a while – a combination of arthritis and some muscular problems with my lower back.

As we walked she turned back, looked at me, and said, “Well, you’re certainly walking like you have a full bladder.”

Huh?

I guess she was trying to make light of the fact that I was one of the many over-full patients she sees for this procedure each week, but what she couldn’t have known was that I always walk that way.

I thought, “Wow, if there was ever a time to zip it, it’s when tempted to say something snarky to an older person about how goofy they look when they walk.”

OK, so I’m not a runway model or a star athlete – my racehorse walk is a decade behind me. But give me the dignity of galumphing in peace, please.

So, what’s the funniest but not-so-very-funny (all at the same time) comment that a medical “pro” has said to you? C’mon, make me feel better about being called, basically, a graceless, watery waddler. ;0)

Eeek. Make that “…health professional…”

ive walked stiff from around the age of 18 as i have gout and things. so its not reserved just for the “more experienced” among us. :wink:

“You don’t look like a diabetic.” by an ER nurse.

Yeah, what’s up with that? What does a diabetic look like?