Medicare/Tandem Patients

I just went through this with Tandem, Dexcom and Medicare. I spoke with Tandems Regional Manager and she confirmed that the pump of course was considered DME so it is fine. As mentioned prior, no phones which precludes the follow app for me which I feel is a medical necessity.

That is not correct and Tandem needs to make sure that all of the field reps know the current policy. Right now in order to get Medicare coverage for G5 sensors, you need to use the Dexcom receiver and no other device. Although the Tandem X2 is DME, it is not yet approved as a CGM receiver. Stupid, I know.

The following blurb is from a Tandem Cares Newsletter dated 9/13/17.

“Medicare doesn’t cover CGM if integrated with an insulin pump.
The Dexcom G5 integration feature should not be used on the t:slim X2 Pump by people with Medicare coverage. Medicare will not cover CGM supplies for people using the integration. Dexcom is working with CMS regarding this decision, but for the time being, exclusive use of the Dexcom G5 receiver, not an insulin pump, is the requirement for Medicare reimbursement. FOR MORE INFORMATION >”

The For More Information links to the Dexcom FAQ web page: https://www.dexcom.com/faq/medicare

1 Like