Meds Overdose

I'm a bad diabetic. I have type 2 and I'm not the most responsible person regarding my diabetes. I know, I know I should take better care of myself, it's not that I don't want to, I think it's more along the lines of "out of sight out of mind". If I don't think about it, it will go away right? Nope.

So the other day I get a text from Walgreens to refill a prescription. I honestly have no idea what it's for so I I go ahead and have it filled so I can find out. (I know, I could have called them.) A couple of days later I get the notification it's ready so I head down and pick it up, it was more Metformin. "Holy crap!" I thought to myself, "I still have another full bottle I haven't even gotten to yet!"

So this is just another reminder to me to get my poop in a group and get serious about it. One of my biggest problems is that I'm a tech nerd and gadget freak. I get so caught up in finding all these cool gadgets and things to help me manage it I forget to manage it. I think my first step to take is to just use what I have and not try to do all this cool tech stuff. Just stick with my meter and get into the habit of testing regularly. Then, after I get that habit established, move on to organizing that data. I've started using Microsoft Health Vault (hopefully they'll last longer than Google's health app did.) and it?s pretty cool. It works with the majority of meters and you can import your records into it. I just wish they had an android app. However I have been thinking about moving to a Windows phone when my contract is up.

Anyway, as you can tell, I'm a bad diabetic.

IMHOP there is no such thing as a "bad" diabetic -- just those who have yet to be reborn. LOL

You're spot on about regular testing. Knowing what needs to be done and having the will to do it has to proceed from that. Everything worthwhile begins there.

It's easy to get caught up with the tech toys, for sure. The vital thing is to keep eyes on the prize. The goal is control, how you get there doesn't matter at the end of the day. I use a mixture of current technology and very old fashioned methods. You have to develop the combination that gives you good results, and that you can stick with.

And yes, as you acknowledged, the key is to do the right things long enough that they become habits. That's the great thing about habits -- they can be unlearned and replaced with better ones. Just takes attention and effort.

Everyone has their epiphany moment at their own time, on their own schedule. [ I won't admit how long it took me to get there. :) ] You're on the right path and you've got the right perspective. Good luck. And come back and let us know how you're doing!

David

I understand the feeling of being a “bad diabetic”. I have a doctor’s appointment in a couple of hours with my endo. My a1c is crazy high, my blood sugar records are nearly blank, and needless to say, things are out of control but…I have to face my fear, push myself, and start all over again. I’m not throwing in the towel.