Medtronic 630G/670 Vs Omnipod

I’m very confused between which pump to use, can anyone tell me the pros and cons of both?

I would be very grateful

I can’t speak about the 630 or 670, but I have used the paradigm 722 and Veo models (same as 530g in the States I think) as well as the OmniPod. A lot of it depends on the individual and it’s hard to know what is right for you without trying both. I prefer the Medtronic, but I’m not a water/beach person and don’t find the tube to be a big deal. I always wore shorts, jeans or pants with pockets since even before I was diabetic, so don’t find it a big deal to carry in my pocket and it isn’t noticeable. The pros are that it is very reliable, you can choose from different infusion sets based on your body type, you always have it with you if you need insulin, and it’s very few button pushes to bolus (and I can do it through my pocket without even looking).

The OmniPod pros are no tube, waterproof (but not the PDM), and it’s self-inserting. Cons (for me, others will disagree) were pod-change highs almost every time, pod failures or just inconsistent results with pods, and the PDM (takes way more steps to take a bolus and it’s bigger than my paradigm but has to be carried around anyway to bolus).

How many button pushes does the Paradigm take? I can bolus with the Omnipod PDM with only 5 button pushes (7 button pushes if you count turning it on).

I’m being really nitpicky here now that I think about it, but it always felt like a million steps because you have to hold down the on button for a few seconds, confirm yourself, then select bolus from the menu before you can get to the bolus screen. The paradigm is always on, you just push the B button and you’re right in the bolus wizard. It also had an “easy bolus” feature where you can program a set bolus amount (eg. 0.5 units or 1 unit) and after that just push the up arrow at any time to enter a bolus in that amount (and you can push it multiple times to increase the bolus by that same amount as many times as you want before taking it). I find this useful with my CGM, because I know what my correction factor is and have it set at 0.3 units which lowers me about 1 mmol/L, so I can push the up arrow button through my pocket which I couldn’t do with the Omnipod. I find I can correct more discreetly in public by doing this, whereas I would have to pull the PDM out from my work bag or wherever and go through all the steps to bolus/correct, making it more obvious to people around me if in public.

That does sound more convenient. On the other hand, while the PDM is on the clunky side, it does look sort of like a phone if a person doesn’t look too closely. I was programming a bolus in a restaurant the other day and someone at the table asked if I could look something up on Google for them.

Thank you for all the responses, the issue I’m having is the Medtronic 630G the cords are very annoying, and I am an athlete, I take it off and when I plug it back, its annoying. Also, I haven’t told anyone about my diabetes and I’d like to keep it that way up until I’m ready to go public with it. The 630G Takes about a lot of clicks to for the bolus. The other thing I’m worried about is how accurate is the CGM (Dexcom) vs Medtronic. I have to make the decision soon. Hope you guys can help me make up my mind.

Lol nice, I never got that one before when I was on the pod! Usually people thought I was using a palm pilot, and with my paradigm people think I’m still using a pager.

You should give the Omnipod a try then, it may work very well for you. I liked a lot of things about it when I was on it, and when it worked it worked well. What sports do you play? There are special cases Medtronic makes so you don’t have to take the pump off when playing sports. Also I’m not impressed with the 630G with what I’ve seen. It seems bigger than the paradigm and like it requires more button pushes to do the same things, so many of the benefits I’ve talked about using the Veo/530G wouldn’t apply.

You will find many opinions on this forum by searching “omnipod pros cons” or “omnipod revisited”. Keep in mind that many of the discussions here relate to earlier models of pods and PDMs. Smaller pods came out in 2012 and an improved PDM came out around 2015. A number of common complaints, such as how the PDM calculated IOB, no longer apply.

I don’t know what arrangements are available with Medtronic, but Omnipod offers a 90-day, money-back trial. I used several models of tubed pumps before using the Omnipod, and I would never go back to tubes, though other people have not had such good experiences.

Thank you so much, what about the CGM Monitors, are they accurately the same or is one better then the other, I feel like everytime I speak to a rep about each one, they tell me different things to buy you in and the medtronic representative, keeps saying most people always come back to Medtronic, Is there a way to keep both/ try both? I dont want to limit myself to one pump for the next 4 years. I play basketball and soccer, 2-3x a week and the rest of my time I spend studying for my bar exam.

The 670 is a very different pump that most of us have never used. At this point, it is unlikely you could be able to get access to it until 2018. My advice is to call both reps and ask for a demo. They will be happy to come out and sell their systems. If you can not decide at that point then follow your CDE or doctor’s advice.

Reps are the worst people for this kind of advice for obvious reasons. I think the consensus is Dexcom is superior, but again, it depends on the person. Many people use the Medtronic CGM and are happy with it. It has improved a lot since the original Guardian RT system. You already have the Medtronic CGM since you have the 630G and it all comes as a package. Try it and see if it works for you. As for trying both pumps, did you call Omnipod? As I’ve told you already, you can likely buy a PDM for about $200 if they still offer it without going through insurance, and that way you can have both. I think you will realize there is no perfect pump. They all have their advantages and disadvantages, and you just have to find which one works best overall for you and stick with it. Also how long have you been on the pump? It’s really hard to know if you like it until you’ve been using it for a while. Things that seem annoying now might not be so annoying later. You may barely notice the tubing in a few months if you stick with it.

Thank you so much for the input, its been a week and a half, but I feel like I had better control with Multi Injections. What about the supplies would I have to pay out of pocket for that though, or would that be associated with the insurance company and their coverage?

Hi James, I’ve used a MiniMed/Medtronic pump for twenty years, and have had the Medtronic integrated CGM for 8 years. I love the integration of the two, but the real plus for this system for me is the “threshold suspend” option; if my sugar is trending low then dropping and I do not correct, the pump will suspend giving me insulin. I have two kids and my husband travels a lot for work, so this option provides a safety backup. Since you are an athlete, unexpected lows could be an issue, and this could be a life-saving device.
My 9 year old daughter has been using the Dexcom G5 for several months and it is a far superior CGM in terms of accuracy, but the biggest sell for Dexcom G5 is that I can follow her bloodsugar remotely through the Dexcom Follow app. As a parent, that is a huge deal.
But, there isn’t a pump that integrates with the G5. It looks like Animas got approval in end of 2016 for Animus Vibe Plus that integrates with Dexcom G5, but there’s no release date and some question as to whether the company will release it (possible company sale).
Omnipod does not have any integration with a CGM. You can use both, but have to manually adjust each, so you’d have more devices to carry.

That probably depends on your insurance company. Though the upfront cost is lower, the monthly cost of Omnipod supplies are more expensive than Medtronic, so you probably have to find out if your company will pay for the supplies or not. Either way, a week and a half is not a long time, and I think it’s important to get used to pumping and learn how it all works regardless of what pump you’re on, and you aren’t going to have any more success on a different pump, tube or no tube, until you work that all out. I went on the Medtronic pump at the same time as my dad, who had been type 1 for over 30 years and said he would only start pumping if one of his kids was diagnosed. I remember him having a lot of trouble at first, but now his control is much better than it ever was on injections and he can’t even believe anyone wouldn’t be using a pump.

Other than the tube, what problems are you having? Are you sure your basal rates are properly set up, and that your carb ratios, correction and sensitivity factors are accurate? It takes time to get these things right, and will be easier to figure out with a CGM. I studied for the bar exam too not too long ago, it might not be the best time in your life to be figuring all of this out, but then again you might have more free time than once you are a working lawyer!

Lastly, remember you are going to have high blood sugars if you disconnect for long periods of time, which is one area where the Omnipod has a big advantage for control. It’s not good to be disconnected without basal insulin during sports, I usually lower my basal by about 40-60% instead of removing it. There is a leg pouch that Medtronic sells online that you can use for sports to protect and conceal the pump.

Omnipod is the best! I previously had two Medtronic. The second pump I had from Medtronic malfunctioned severely! I was in intensive care for three weeks. That was in 2011. From 2011 until February 2017 I was on multiple daily injections. I was leary to try any pump. My sugars were insane from lows as low as 21 to highs in 400s. I needed another insulin pump! I love Omnipod! I am already doing much better with my sugars! I have been T1 for 22 years.

Keep in mind that Omnipod is scheduled to release a new PDM later this year that is essentially an Android phone. It will be sleeker than the current PDM. I haven’t seen anything on how much easier to use it will be, but I’m certain there will be some improvements to the bolus process. It will also integrate with a Dexcom CGM, at least in terms of integrating readings with bolus calculations. Omnipod is a couple of years away from a full closed-loop system. For me, the choice to go with Omnipod was a no-brainer. I did not want the hassle of a tube to deal with. I probably would have stuck with MDI if the pod had not been an option. There are advantages/disadvantages to both. Do not let reports of problems with the pod deter you. I rarely have any difficulty wearing a pod until the insulin runs out. Quality control has improved greatly. The company also is planning to bring manufacturing to the USA and is currently building a modern, automated facility here, if that makes a difference to you.

I use the omnipod and have never been on another pump. Like others have said it depends on your lifestyle. I work full time and go to school full time as well. I don’t always have pockets and so applying the pod directly to my body is a plus. It can be really discreet depending on what you are wearing and where you place it. You only have to carry the pdm if you are planning on eating. However, I carry mine everywhere I go. My bg rise even when not eating so sometimes I have to do extra bolus. Also I am shower 2-3 times a day and not having to disconnect anything is a plus. Like anything new it’s difficult at first but then everything become normal. Good luck to you.

I’m terribly sorry that happened to you! The only thing I can say is this shouldn’t scare anyone away from a tubed pump either, as there are horror stories on every type of pump if you search this forum. My experience was the opposite of yours - I used a Medtronic Paradigm 722 from 2006 to 2013 and never had an issue. I found the thing to be built like a tank and it still works, even through all the abuse I put it through in undergrad. I had way more absorption/delivery issues on the Pod than I ever had with the Paradigm, but again that is my experience and not true for everyone. It is a shame there is no way for people to try different pumps for extended periods of time because that is the only way to really know what is right for you.

I am sorry. I did not have any problems with my first mini-med pump. I was happy to have it. I was actually pregnant with my now 15 year old daughter. My preference is omnipod. I love to swim and it is wonderful to not disconnect anything.

Web-Stat web counter