Medtronic and Fitbit integration

Hi,

I’m one of the many Animas users that got the letter saying they were closing shop. Initially I thought I would switch back to the Omnipod, however, looking at the newer Minimed pumps, I’m not so sure.

One thing that caught my attention was the Fitbit integration with the pump. That sounds really alluring to me, I’m a pretty active person, not always on a schedule. I did notice that they said it was only for Type 2’s, what’s with that? Is it a liability issue that they aren’t advertising to T1’s? Anyone know?

Also I’d love to hear about likes dislikes of the Medtronic 630G.

Thanks!

@ginny_e - Whenever there is excessive marketing spin, it is always hard to determine the reality.

Our newest example of this is an exciting collaboration with Fitbit to integrate health and activity data into our iPro2 continuous glucose monitor.

What is iPro2 CGM?
It’s a small, lightweight device that is water tight and is worn for about 6 days on your abdomen.
Your doctor can prescribe it and put it on you in the office. While you go about your daily life, it will record the glucose levels from the fluid underneath your skin. It takes a reading every five minutes automatically. Your doctor will have you keep a log of your meals, exercise, medications and after the evaluation is over your doctor will remove it and download your information. Then you and your doctor can talk about the information together.

If Medtronic could display their CGM readings on my Fitbit Ionic and display my downloaded activity data next to my downloaded pump and CGM data, I’d be sold. I haven’t heard of either of those things happening. It seems to me that as pumps get more automated, taking activity into account in calculations would be a good thing. In the meantime, I just want a CGM wrist display and the ability to see activity data alongside food, insulin, and CGM data.

Being a user of both Medtronic and Fitbit, I would find it very useful to be able to compare my CGM data with the data from my Fitbit (I use the Charge 2). The Fitbit integration may not be to the level of automation and being involved in calculating my insulin, but it would definitely be useful to me when analyzing my data. One thing that I would like to be able to see side by side would be my CGM and the sleep patterns from my Fitbit. I have had trouble sleeping lately, and I think comparing that to my CGM would be easier with parallel graphs. But overall, it is pretty much always good to have all data together, because it will always make pattern finding much easier.