Medtronic Infusion set recall

Even tho I dont use their pump right now, I have not received any letter. And since the recall, which is not mandatory, is common to all sorts of sets…some of us think that means the connection is the problem. They give a step by step guide to proper filling, which they say is the way to go if you need to use the recalled sets.

No worries. I have no idea either. I get my supplies from Byram.

I get my Silhouette infusion sets and reservoirs directly from Medtronic. In reading some of the preliminary writing about this recall issue, I was confused about the reference to a “membrane” that’s at the heart of this.

Medtronic sent me an email today explaining their recall. One of their links brought me to a pdf file for Silhouette infusion sets. (Other links lead, presumably, to other infusion sets that are part of this recall.) The following section of that pdf file explained things more clearly to me.

I conclude from this that it’s important to keep the area around the base of the tubing connector needle (the membrane) dry so that the priming function can operate normally. Medtronic does not want anyone to use any of the recalled lot numbers.

1 Like

I do it anyway. I’m not going back to MDI till I get new infusion sets.

1 Like

I think if you’re cautious to keep the tubing connector membrane dry, you should be OK.

Guys I found this out through reddit. If you are using any quick sets please run the lot numbers. Every extra infusion set I had at work was affected by the recall. I went home early today and found that I need to send back over half my current supplies. According to Medtronic rep I spoke too; all the sets affected by the recall were made this year. Please follow this link:

Also you can go straight to the check lots page and start putting in your lot numbers if you want too:
https://checklots.medtronicdiabetes.com/

I asked where my letter in the mail was; they said, “Its coming.” I am sorry but I really feel this is unacceptable. Why did they not email us this info? A lot of us have email addresses on file with Medtronic.

I had a severe hypoglycemic reaction that required hospital care last November and I wonder if this might have had something to do with it. If you are using these sets there is the possibility of overdose.

Check your lot numbers!!!
Ed

There was a discussion about this yesterday.

This is making my happier that I chose Animas with its much simpler cartridge connector, and much more angry that UHC is making people (potentially, including me, next time) buy Medtronics pumps only…

I think the risk of this failure is small but that Medtronic must diligently work to mitigate the risk.

My current Med-T pump is about 12 years old and I’m impressed with its durability. My similar era Animas Ping’s screen is dimmed and renders the pump as unusable. I have a nine-year old Ping that still lights up the screen, however.

I agree with you. These exclusive marketing agreements between insurance companies and D-tech companies unfairly eliminate the patient choice.

2 Likes

I think the Animas Ping screen dimming issue was an engineering defect. We were two for two with that issue. Although even with a dim screen it was still usable indoors under low lighting. You just couldn’t read the screen at all in sunlight of any sort of intensity. (Once it “went dim” - not as originally manufactured - obviously)

@Terry4 - Do you have another Loop compatible pump already obtained and ready to go in case of a pump failure? One would certainly assume those get harder and harder to find as time marches on with none being manufactured for at least 5 years now?

@Thas - I did like the way the cartridge connected and the entire fill and prime procedure with the Animas Ping.

2 Likes

Yes, I do. It took me a while but I now have two pump backups, one of which is very lightly used. I still think there are quite a few of these pumps left in the drawers of people who won’t need them for a do-it-youself system. It’s just a matter of finding them.

2 Likes

Me too! I have to pay the upgrade in order to keep my pump’s warranty in October. Lots of money especially as it is all out of pocket (there go my savings). I might get a 640 that will be kept in a drawer for emergencies. I use older versions too.