Medtronic Paradigm Veo + CGM Pump = Search Rescue Firefighter

After 46 years with T1D plan on going from MDI to pump+CGM but as a firefighter/search & rescue worker using 3-4 inch hoses under high pressure in rugged rural terrain, using rescue full body harnesses etc. The problems of impact, sweat, general snagging etc I am trying to wrestle with. If anu have suggestions on catheter management (snags, site adhesion) I would really welcome them. Thanks, Dave (Australia)

I deal with snagging by keeping the pump in my pocket. Cut a small slit in your pocket and run the tubing through the slit. Haven't had an issue since doing that.

Thanks Jim appreciate the courtesy of your reply and advice.

Hey Dave:

Have you considered the Omnipod? If I plan to engage in particularly strenuous activity I'll affix it to the back of one arm and my CGM to the back of the other and reinforce them with Skin-Tac liquid medical adhesive. I do this when I race offroad bikes and taken some glorious tumbles and never had an issue. No amount of sweat or impact will cause them to come off.

Christopher

I use Skin Tac to keep my pump sets in during sweaty weather and to keep my CGM sensor on for longer than a week (I pay out of pocket for the sensors so I try to get them to last as long as possible). I use the bottle (not the wipes) and it is quite waterproof. I know quite a bit about firefighting turnouts, so the idea already suggested about placing a hole in your pocket for the tubing to go through your regular pants (under the turnout pants) will work well. I also remember the pocket in the regular uniform pants being long, so the pump isn't likely to fall out. Another idea for both devices is a pump band. There is a website called pumpwear that sells them. And, there is a woman's thing for women runners (from Hips sisters) that has zippered pockets. It comes in black so it isn't like women's lingerie or anything, but keeps these important and expensive devices safe.