Medtronic Receives FDA approval for new integrated system for diabetes management

Ordered - thank you pathways program.

Hi John-

I was wondering and curious to know why you have troubles with the MM CGM… ive been using the system together with my MM 522 for two years and never have problems with it… i dunno… i know the timed calibration is kinda annoying but i think its the key for you to get an accurate reading closer with the finger sticks BG’s… and calibration is best done when theres no rapid change in your BG’s, but i know this is really hard to figure out for some, but for me, i made it sure that my calibration time(s) should not be after a meal, at least…

with that being said, i cannot blame you if you find the DexCom works better for you…I havent tried the DexCom but i also have heard great stories bout it… so i guess it all comes down to whichever system works for you… as long as we’re getting the best out of every CGM out there in the market… Although we cant really deny, CGM really helps in controlling diabetes… :slight_smile:

MM Canada promised this morning to call me ; in the mean time I have learned a bit more too about Manny’s posting re reference to the Revel …AND …I need to go less fast , when responding and read more thoroughly :slight_smile:

Do you mind sharing some reasons why you decided to upgrade? I just started pumping in July 2009 so I’m a little annoyed that they came out with a new one. I am wondering if it’s worth it for me to switch. If it’s smaller or lighter, I think that would be helpful. I don’t currently use CGM but may think about it in the future…maybe I should just wait until I want to use the CGM system?

Medtronic Canada called 6 pm my time, person called from Ontario , 3 hours later…( last night )…The decision to make Revel available is Health Canada’s decision …could be soon , could be later .

Thanks for the post, Manny. My Revel pump is “in the mail” I was told by the Medtronics rep earlier today. Can’t wait to try some of the new features. Thanks again for the posting. —Anthony

What method of communication is being used between the meter/cgms/pump? Still RF?

After 23+ years on MDI - I bit off the complete Medtronic solution. Sensor and Pump - at the same time.

The pump is fantastic - it’s clearly a very mature product - with all of the features I feel I need.

The sensor is also fantastic - but clearly a much newer product.

The 722 implimentation of the sensor on the pump has alarms that are set based on your BG moving over a threshold - so for example if you set the “low” alarm at 60 - when you hit 60 the alarm will sound.

While this is quite useful - a better refinement would be rate of change - what if you are suddenly dropping quickly - from 120 down to 70 in a short order of time - do I really want to wait until I am 60 to be alerted?

So the new subtle refinement in the system is what they call predictive alarms - based on the rate of change - you WILL be 60 soon - to me that is more useful given the sensor is typically 15 minutes behind your finger stick tests.

In a sense - predictive alarms would make the sensor more “real time” as it can anticipate - based on trend and rate of change - where you will be.

Do not be annoyed with new releases - sit it out and wait for the reviews from real users to pile in.

This may be a ho-hum upgrade for non-sensor users - or it may have something excellent hidden as well. No telling until we get it in our hot little hands.

For me, the predictive alarms are a must have.

I’ll share my thoughts after I get it and start using. I’ve been on the 722 + Sensor for over a year - and wear the sensor all of the time.

Drew,
re pict #5 - is that the 5 vs 7 or the 22 vs 23? Is the Revel a little smaller?
I have a revel 723 “in the mail” and I’m upgrading from a 522, so I’m curious as to exactly what all of these individual photos are.
I was rather derisive about the revel, then I went and upgraded to one!

It’s the 722 vs the 723.

kewl, thanks. Now I’m even happier that I’ve gone to the 7. Looks like it’ll fit in my old case.

The Revel is the exact same size.

Actually - the clear case on the 722 and 723 are the exact same - other than the sticker on the top that labels the buttons. I think the 722 appears darker because it’s maybe a little old / dirty?

Strangely, the lighter sticker makes the 723 seem more translucent - when in fact it appears that is the same plastic as the 722.

I’m already pretty jazzed about the new screens.

Oh, and the biggest feature for me - the ability to mute the alarms during business meetings.

I got mine 2 days ago. It was really easy to set up and program. Really 99% identical menu wise to the old ones. Few new features from my 712, but nothing that was unfamiliar feeling.

I do notice that the drive mechanism is MUCH smoother. I used to be able to hear my old pump clicking the insulin in. This one is next to silent, and its more of a servo whine then an audible click. Also, the back-light is much brighter. I use my pump as a flashlight all the time so this is a great “feature”!

I will try to remember to take a picture comparing my 712 and the 723.

I must say - it’s really growing on me.

I’ve noticed some of the alarms have changed their tone a bit.

The screens are trying to be more helpful.

I never even listened to the alarms. I put it straight onto vibrate.

I guess I should have waited for the “training” but its basicly the same pump when you get down to it with a lot more features that I can read about.

The main reason I upgraded was to renew my waranty. The CGMS stuff is nice for me, but the rest was all bells and whistles. For others though, this is a major change. I wouldn’t go with any other pump right now for kids.

Corbin,

I heard recently from Nel, an MM CGM user, that the DexCom is not an option in Canada as Health Canada has not granted approval on the device. So it is MM only for the CGM and my son had a very frustrating first experience with the CGM. The result being he managed with night and day alarms for three days, then totally gave up. Since then the transmitter that we paid about $800 dollars for has given up the ghost and a pack of 4 sensors, another $200+ are long expired.

So Mom continues to do the 2 or 3 a.m. check.

By the time he heads out on his own… I would love to see a reliable CGM system in place that is commonly insured.

Cheryl