Meeting another Type!

I don’t believe that. I am quite positive that you’re describing what you think you’ve seen, as interpreted through your own lenses. Your comments frequently come across as rude, condescending, and dismissive, even when (barely) couched in language that attempts to approximate normal, polite human discourse. I don’t flatter myself that I can change your outlook with an exchange in an internet forum, but I’ll share two things with you that it’s possible could be useful to you:

• You frequently come across as unpleasant and dismissive of others on this forum;

• It’s going to be OK: having Type 1 isn’t the end of the world, even if it can feel lonely at times (especially if you have nothing but contempt for other Type 1s that you’ve met).

How’s that for “mincing?” I admit, given the nature of digital discourse, that it’s likely to be ineffectual. And I’ll tell you now that I’m not about to apologize :slight_smile: Try to have a good day, my friend, because you desperately need some good stuff in your life. Try meeting some other PWDs, leave the judgmental attitude at home for the day, and see how that feels! You could really do that right here, in these forums, with a little effort. It will be even more effective if you do it face to face.

I can absolutely promise you that if you reach out to others with our shared disease, you’ll meet amazing, strong, beautiful people who are absolutely not letting their illness hold them back from living full, effective lives. Many of us have dedicated our lives to service to others. Open your eyes (and maybe your heart), and you’ll recognize how amazing we all are for doing the best we can with what we have to work with. And if you keep your eyes and heart open, you might also find that you are amazing too.

7 Likes

Amen brother. I’ve been diabetic for 30 years and I live a full life, I have many critical/emergency national certifications and my diabetes has never be a problem. I don’t treat my diabetes as a “problem or disability” I’m David the RN and I just happen to have an insulin pump…no big deal…we all something to deal with in our lives but it doesn’t have to own you. I work with several diabetics and you would’nt know it…because they act, work, communicate, laugh and function just like everyone else their diabetes doesn’t define them, or own them and no one at works treats us any differently we have a job to do and part of a team that excels period.

8 Likes

I was talking to a salesman when my pump alerted. Not knowing the salesman was also a T1D on a pump, he pulled out his pump thinking it was his then, he realized it was my pump alerting. BOOM, instant bond!!! LOL

5 Likes

That’s a good one, @Sportster.

The first time Caleb ever flew after diagnosis, I was way over prepared for the TSA screening. I had my doctor letter ready and very clearly and far too comprehensively disclosed what we packed with the agent. A young man who had just walked through the scanner in front of us heard me and stopped, pulled out his pump and said something like, “oh yeah - me too.”

We didn’t exactly meet, but that seemed remarkable to me to bump into someone that way. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

LOL @Sportster that’s awesome!!

2 Likes

Pumpers aren’t always diabetic ; my niece has to wear a pump during pregnancy to avoid very serious problems with over all health ; and being nautious etc.

With the omnipod ; it triggers off the hand wand scanner and security said what’s that ? And like I don’t know what they mean ! Forgot that I switched pods that morning and placed new one on arm !
Also now the dexcom cgm says not to go thru scanners ; get hand screened !
And with the dexcom is the phone for alarms (high and low blood sugars ) they say don’t get 20 ft away from sensor ! So I take the phone with me and don’t put it in the plastic tub at the airport !

That’s awesome, I had a similar incident at work. I am a petroleum refinery operator. One early morning I was issuing a permit to enter my plant area to a contractor foreman driving a vacuum truck. He was there to suck out an excavation. While I was going over the particulars for his job that day I heard those three trademark beeps and casually checked my side - there was no issue with my pump or cgm. I continued on until i heard them again, frustratingly i checked my pump again, worried it was gonna be a bad day. Nothing. I look up at the Vac truck Forman and ask if its ‘HIS’ pump alarming and he looked out the door at his truck and said nope! He was trying to hide it from me :frowning: . I told him I was also diabetic and if he needed to test and take care of something he should do so without worry. He sighed heavily and sat down while I split a pack of pop tarts and a coffee with him. He hadn’t been diagnosed very long and was very nervous to let anyone know. I was glad that I ran into him and I know he was too.

6 Likes

I LOVE seeing others in the wild! I generally refrain from running up to someone to declare how happy it makes me-I sort of just position my pump so they could see :smile: Me not going up to someone is more me worrying how they’ll react.
I’d be thrilled if another one of us came up to me though! Type 1s or 2s (especially those who really do work to manage their levels, it’s more the same bandwidth of understanding).

I simply avoid going down that path of ‘what’s your number’. For me it’s more about ‘you made progress somewhere today’ then great! If you ‘got zero sleep cause of high/low levels’, oh god I know how that feels, me toooo.

1 Like

i got excited when my dentist hygenist wore an insulin pump. she understood that if my levels went low while she was cleaning my teeth that she can get me something. we ended up talking about our pumps before and after she cleaned my teeth. it was awesome and exciting. i didnt talk to this person but when i was at a starbucks i saw someone with an insulin pump on. its like finding a lost relative. I always hope i see more lol

My son’s best friend was diagnosed 3 years before he was. They are the only type 1’s at their school. When Damien was diagnosed, he called his friend from the hospital. His friend actually cried for Damien. He later told his mom that, although he didn’t want Damien to have diabetes, he was excited to have someone who understands. They will always have an unbreakable bond.

7 Likes

Are u type2

Yes I am Type 2.

I always love seeing other people with diabetes and meeting other pumpers. Now that my daughter has T1, too, it’s been an extra bonus whenever we see someone else pumping. It does feel like you get to see someone else “in the club”…

1 Like