Metformin and t1

I am T1 for almost 40 years, on a Tandem pump (with Basel IQ!), fiasp insulin, and Dexcom. I just started taking metformin ER. I had some side effects once I got to the 2000 mg/day level, so I dropped down to 1500 and have been on that dose for a few weeks with no problems.

For me, metformin has been a total game changer. Blood sugars are stable, a straight line at the 100-120 range all day long. My blood sugar actually responds to insulin again, it’s amazing. I’m only sorry that I didn’t ask my doctor about this sooner.

I do think that metformin’s impact on the release of glucose by the liver will stop the liver from releasing glucose to treat a bad prolonged hypo, but I feel comfortable with that given the Dexcom and Basel IQ on my pump - I haven’t had bad lows in a while. Also my dawn phenomenon induced highs are gone. I am taking less insulin and hope to lose some lbs, but even if that doesn’t happen, I’m still very happy with the results of metformin so far.

1 Like

I tried Metformin for about a year when they thought I was a type 2, before I was diagnosed as a type 1.

I had been losing a pound a month over years and Metformin stopped that. I then cut out my soup for dinner managed to lose a couple of more pounds and then that stopped too. My sugars kept going up so they increased the dose and I started with really bad nausea, even vomiting, even when the dose was then reduced. I also ended up with a major constipation issue, which I had never had before. I ended up taking triple laxatives and was still having a problem, so I had to stop taking it. It was working as after I stopped my A1C shot up to the 10’s and then they started me on a long acting insulin.

My husband who is having sugar issues pre type 2 loves it, it dropped his A1C and he has lost a bunch of weight on it. The only thing he complains about, but puts up with, is suddenly having to run to the bathroom,

1 Like