Metformin BEFORE eating or AFTER I've already started?

My first doctor started out me out at 1 with breakie and one with lunch which I thought was weird because I am not the Extended one and lots of people seemed to be taking it Am and Pm so my new doctor switched me. It seemed to work either way I guess. But it took a while for me to get used to the switch in schedules. :slight_smile:

@Brian_BSC, I realize that this is a pretty old thread about the mechanism of metformin. Iā€™m most curious about,
ā€œThird, it decreases the absorption of glucose during digestion. It is this effect that I believe causes some of the gastric issues. By enabling carbs and sugars to proceed further down your digestive system, the natural flora then goes wild fermenting all that good sugar generating gas.ā€

Would it be a good idea for metformin users to take probiotics ? Probiotics are generally good. Should metformin users take more because of the fermentation?

I think probiotics can help. One important theory is that the gut bacteria plays an important role not only in digestion, but in blood sugar control. I eat things like homemade yogurt as well as fermented foods like sauerkraut and pickles.

1 Like

@Brian_BSC
"One important theory is that the gut bacteria plays an important role not only in digestion, but in blood sugar control."

Thatā€™s most interestingā€¦where can curious minds find out more about this? It has been said, ā€œYou are what you eatā€.

Do you make homemade sauerkraut and pickles?

@Brian_BSC I just began experimenting with homemade kefir.