Metformin Can Be Fatally Toxic W/ Hydroxychloroquine

I wondered if Dr. Trump takes Metformin.

4 Likes

WHAT!?!?!?! OH NO! Say it isnt so.

1 Like

My wife has taken Plaquenil (a brand name of hydroxychloroquine) for almost two decades to help slow the effects of rheumatoid arthritis. It’s an effective drug for her BUT my wife has to visit the eye doctor and other doctors way more often than I do for examinations and tests to watch for all the potential complications of hydroxychloroquine.

And I’m a T1 diabetic so I have a lot of eye doctor and other doctor visits.

Well my wife might not be taking this important medicine for her rheumatoid arthritis much longer - there are severe shortages. Hydroxychloroquine May Not Work Against COVID-19, But Hoarding's Already A Problem : Shots - Health News : NPR

I suggest you read some of the comments to the article, which refute the validity of the claims

“I talked to a colleague who runs an ER in South Texas. He says, “Lots of data on patients in this area on plaquenil and metformin.” He says it’s obvious this does not happen in humans. Not at doses used in medicine. Another example of mouse model not corresponding to human model.”

“Metformin is given orally for good reason, the plasma concentration is never reaching the immense peaks you create with the intraperitoneal application. Sorry, your experiment was unfurtunately not planned well, and the data is therefore only applicable for patients taking metformin intraperitoneally.”

4 Likes

@StephenT Do you have a mouse named Dr. Trump taking metformin?

1 Like

By the way it’s not like Trump came up with this medicine to treat covid on his own. He would have have been told by his “doctor” medical consultants about what might be helping people.

1 Like

I would like “his doctors” to make public statements supporting the use at this time, of the Trump recommended drug. I have yet to hear any specific supports other than it could possibly work, but needs to have completed and verified trials and that there are potential severe side effects.

2 Likes

Do you like the blood plasma solutions better, @T2Tom? I am terrified of donating blood, so I’m not gonna be any help with that one. I dont love the side effects associated with the anti-malarial, but I’m also afraid of anything that involves blood donation because of the needles. I am a coward.

@Tim12, start trying early. She’s gonna need that. Is it expensive? Can you pay outta pocket?

I don’t think it’s that expensive, but I guess I don’t really know. People have been taking it just to prevent malaria so it was pretty accessible before. The problem is so much is being used for Covid patients, especially in Europe, that it has created a huge shortage and they are limiting what can be bought. It is creating a big problem for patients that rely on it for things like rheumatoid arthritis and Lupus.

If true and you need it for covid stop metformin and go on insulin. Maybe do that anyway just in case. At my hospital, docs told me they are giving in patient covid patients both z pack and hydroxy chloroquine. Some are getting anti virals and anti body blood transfusion trials may start soon.

1 Like

They are starting a trial with Remdesivir (antiviral) and Hydroxychloroquine too which is interesting. I’m allergic to the Z pack so this would be better for me if I ever needed it.

2 Likes

I am not a doctor or have any real medical experience (although some family members do) I dont make recommendations
But I am old enough to remember Polio inclouding my aunt in an iron lung family membersand all the research that went into developing the two vaccines.
Plus back then everyone got measles and chicken box. Of course more recently there was AIDS. (My partner died from AIDS related complication.s
/aids treatments took a long time. I am generally impressed with all the research and testing goes into developing medications. I believe the doctors and researches not a politician or economist .And then there was hepatitis B and C now preventable or curable.
I have yet to hear that Hydoxcychloroxquine does no harm.
When the real and very talented doctors on the Presidents team, says we have a solution.
I will believe it.

In contrast to that for T2 I have only taken Metformin for about a year. I found out I was really good at controlling my A1c with diet and exercise only (started at 12.0 now 6.0). I am happy that way. When I need to I will look at medications, but not now.

I’ve taken HCQ (aka Plaquenil) twice daily for 24 years. It’s kept my Lupus well managed, with no side effects. I have my eyes checked carefully at least once a year.

Like any drug, your results may vary.

I wouldn’t take a prescription medicine without first consulting a doctor.

2 Likes

Antibiotics can cause death along with many other drugs. So can aspirin, Tylenol has caused a huge amount of people liver damage. I think every drug has the possibility of harm, just some more than others. You have to weigh the pros and the cons. It is always up to the individual if they want to take something. (unless you’re unconscious).

FDA Says Hydroxychloroquine and Chloroquine Can Be Used to Treat Coronavirus

CDC Therapeutic options
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/therapeutic-options.html

FDA Therapeutics

“On March 28, 2020, FDA issued an EUA to allow hydroxychloroquine sulfate and chloroquine phosphate products donated to the Strategic National Stockpile (SNS) to be distributed and used for certain hospitalized patients with COVID-19. These drugs will be distributed from the SNS to states for doctors to prescribe to adolescent and adult patients hospitalized with COVID-19, as appropriate, when a clinical trial is not available or feasible. The EUA requires that fact sheets that provide important information about using chloroquine phosphate and hydroxychloroquine sulfate in treating COVID-19 be made available to health care providers and patients, including the known risks and drug interactions. The SNS, managed by ASPR, will work with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to ship donated doses to states.”

https://www.fda.gov/emergency-preparedness-and-response/mcm-legal-regulatory-and-policy-framework/emergency-use-authorization

FDA FACT SHEET - For patients emergency use authorization of Hydroxychloroquine Sulfate for treatment of Covid-19 in certain hospitalized patients. Warnings of use etc plus

“It is your choice to be treated or not with hydroxychloroquine sulfate. You can decide not to get it or stop it at any time. It will not change your regular medical care if you decide not to take it.”
https://www.fda.gov/media/136538/download

And you did not take it to cure the virus?,
I am glad you lupus is under control.which is what the drug is approved for.

I was asked for a recommendation,
Stay at home keep physical distance. And if you become infected. Hopefully there will be medications that help.
Keep Safe

1 Like

There are reports of shortages starting on HIV drugs. But, word on the street is that those are manufactured here. They say China is buying them and causing shortages in India.

1 Like

Sources of the reports?
Fox News
First of all China and India both produce the HIV drugs within their own country by a license agreement with the US. Bio tech firm.
It seems odd in my post I mention HIV and you respond with this post.
Who are you?

I mentioned it first. We’ve been having this conversation for weeks. My buddy takes those drugs. He called me about it today and forwarded me articles, which I haven’t read yet. Super busy. Calls coming in. My best friend’s aunt’s brother tested positive. He’s nearby. In the hospital. Dont think he’ll make it. Mentally disabled living in a group home, transported to local hospital Friday.

Gimmie a minute. Sorry, I haven’t read all your posts. Just glancing at it. Had strangers come by the house and now the sherriff sitting outside. Just me a dmin…

@T2Tom, sorry, bunch of comm coming in at once. Too many conversations at one time. This is what he sent me. Check it out for validity, it looks a little sketchy.

1 Like

Sorry don’t believe you. Bottom line.