Mexican Style Foods

Nachos
some eggplant (Chinese or Japanese Eggplant works better than regular)
salt to taste
desired toppings (ground meat, green onions, refried soybeans, olives, chili or jalapeno peppers, etc…)
a bunch of pregrated cheese (I use mozzerella)
salsa, sour cream and guacomole (optional)
(You may wish to peel the eggplant first). NB: raw eggplant tends to turn brown when exposed to air, so keep it covered with water when you’re not working with it. Preheat deep fryer or oven to broil. Slice the eggplant thinly. Deep fry or broil until golden brown and crispy. Season with salt, shaking off excess. Divide the eggplant onto plates. Put desired toppings on and smother with cheese. Microwave for about 1 minute or until cheese melts thoroughly. Top with salsa, sour cream, and guacomole if desired.

Notes: you may use parsnips instead of eggplant, or you can make a batch of Debra’s faux tortilla chips if you don’t want veggie chips. If you don’t want your chips round, you can cut them to whatever shape you want while the eggplant is raw. (You may use a small cookie cutter to make it easier). Play with this recipe and tweak it to your individual taste. If you prefer a low-carb nacho cheese sauce instead of fresh cheese, here’s a modified recipe I copied off of a website a while ago (and forgot to note the name of it):

Nacho Cheese Sauce

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons low-carb flour or low-carb thickener

1 cup milk
7 slices processed American cheese

1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions: In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and stir in flour. Pour in the milk and stir until the mixture thickens. Stirring constantly, mix in cheese and salt. Continue to cook and stir until cheese has melted and all ingredients are well blended, about 15 minutes.

This challenge is inspired by the 6 pound, 24-inch B3 burrito that I couldn’t finish (I was declared a certified weenie and got a pink weenie shirt since I could only eat about half of it). I attempted this challenge at the Sahara Hotel’s Nascar Cafe in Las Vegas soon before they were scheduled to shut down. Here’s what their burrito looked like:

B3 Burrito
6 large faux burritos (recipe follows)
1/2 pound precooked refried soybeans (my recipe for that is in the Mexican food section)
1/2 pound freshly grated cauliflower, steamed (aka faux rice)
1/2 pound fresh jalapenos, sliced (try to put some red ones in if you can find them)
about 3-4 pounds ground or shredded precooked meat of any sort
3-4 packets taco seasoning for meat, or other suitable seasoning
1 can enchilada sauce
1 recipe nacho cheese sauce (see mexican section, under my nacho recipe)
sour cream
1 can olives, sliced
fresh diced tomatoes and sliced green onions for the top
guacomole
some grated cheese for garnish
Place 6 tortillas together on a large platter in a 3x2 pattern so that they measure as big as possible with about 1/2 inch or 1 inch overlap or so. The inside is filled with refried beans, faux rice, jalapenos, and seasoned meat, so spread those ingredients to form a length of 24" on the inside of the burritos and pile it up from there. Fold the burrito and carefully move it so that the seam side is down (you may need some help). Spoon the enchilada sauce, Nacho cheese, olives, tomatoes, green onions and big globs of the sour cream and guacomole on top until it looks like the photo. Try finishing it in one sitting by yourself. If you succeed, let me know…

Mandarin Pancakes (aka faux tortillas)
1 1/2 cups plus 2 tbsp low carb flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup boiling water
2 tbsp cold water
some cooking oil for brushing
Stir together 1 1/2 cups flour and salt. Pour 1/2 cup boiling water slowly into flour, stirring constantly with a fork. Stir till well blended. Stir in 3 tbsp cold water. When cool enough to handle, knead in the rest of the flour till smooth and elastic (8-10 minutes). Shape dough into a ball, put it back into bowl, and cover with a damp towel. Let stand for 15-20 minutes. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and divide into 6 equal portions. Flatten each piece of dough with the palm of your hand, then roll each piece into a circle. Brush the entire surface of one side of each pancake with the cooking oil. In a heavy ungreased skillet or griddle, cook the pancakes, a few at a time, over medium heat 20-30 seconds per side or until bubbles appear on surface of pancake. Quickly remove from pan. Makes 6 pancakes that should work well for the B3 burrito (hopefully).

Has anyone tried the low carb tortillas from "La Tortilla." They are 10g carbs, 7 g fiber. Although I generally make a more elaborate version, here is my enchilada recipe

BSC's Beef, Cheese and Onion Enchiladas

2 lbs hamburger
2 packs taco seasoning
10 8" low carb tortillas
1/2 c water
1/2 lb cheddar cheese
2 large onions, diced
1 28 oz can low carb enchilada sauce (almost all are low carb)
Seasoning to taste

Brown and drain crumbled hamburger, add taco seasoning and recommended water (check the taco seasoning pack). Cook according to seasoning directions. Grate cheese into a large bowl. Fill each tortilla with a generous helping of beef, onions and cheese. Try to use about 2/3 of the cheese, leaving a generous amount for topping. I'll often use more than a 1/2 lb. Wrap tightly and pack into 9x14 pan. Make sure the ends of the enchiladas are snug. Pour and spread enchilada sauce on top. Add additional seasoning if you wish (ie. chili powder) and then spread the remainin cheese on top. Bake at 325 degrees for a half hour. Serve immediately.

Total (for 2 enchiladas) 38 g carbs, 18 g fiber (making your own taco seasoning can drop it down to 14 g net carbs).

Sounds Great!

The taco seasonings from places like El Paso contain sugar and some form of thickener like potato starch. I think it helps to throw in some low carb sweetener of choice (like splenda) and to use a low carb thickener. Konjac (Glucomannan) powder works quite well.

That sounds like a good suggestion. Thanks cause often this is trial an error until one gets just the right taste!

sounds really good, i am going to try this this weekend for some friends.

Yum, Yum! I miss Mexican food too! These recepes sound great!