Mike Lawson and Mariana Gomez reflect on American Association of Diabetes Educators conference! Live 5pm PT. Join us!

Send us your question!
So what’s all the buzz about this wonderful annual American Association of Diabetes Educators (AADE) conference each year? We are going to spend the hour sharing what #AADE is, who attends AADE, the mission and vision, what the big shares and take aways were for 2016 and of course…how Diabetes Hands Foundation is involved and some of the great community partners and friends we made!

Join as live Wednesday August 17th! 5pm PT http://www.tudiabetes.org/event/mike-lawson-mariana-gomez-talk-live-aade-live-tudiabetes-talks/

What were some of the questions that CDEs asked at our booth? Were most of them familiar with us? do they recommend our community to their patients?

Great questions Marie! Thank you sooooo much!!

What do CDEs think of carb limits as a tactic for controlling blood glucose, especially glucose variability?

What would the average CDE at the conference say about the ubiquitous A1c number as a comprehensive measure of BG control?

What do CDEs think of the occasional diabetes patient (T1D or T2D) that takes matters into his/her own hands and starts making unilateral (without Dr. or CDE input) decisions regarding insulin dosing?

How does the typical CDE think about a patient with decades of experience versus the specialized curriculum that a CDE studies? Does a patient’s long history with insulin and diabetes count if it contradicts what the CDE books say?

Please discuss the relative value of the CGM time in range (TIR) number versus an A1c.

Many people with diabetes talk about finding a medical “team” to help them with navigating life with diabetes. I think the team concept is good but I see myself as the leader of the team, the one with skin in the game authority who has veto power over most clinical decisions. Does this make me hard to work with?

Is there any move in the CDE curriculum to retire the use of age and body weight to help a clinician to diagnose as to type of diabetes? We’ve all read countless stories of patients who receive a T2D diagnosis mostly because of their adult age or the fact that they carry extra weight and then suffer through several years of fruitless medication changes and damaging hyperglycemia.

People with diabetes that have lived 100’s of thousands of hours with diabetes have developed many advanced techniques for dosing insulin. Is there any interest within the CDE ranks to capture any of this information for the betterment of our community?

What do CDEs think of T1D Dr. Stephen Ponder’s sugar surfing techniques?

Please discuss the clinical use of the loaded terms compliant and noncompliant.

What do educators think about stacking insulin?

I’ll stop here. I could go on …

2 Likes

My questions above may not be appropriate for this session but I’d sure like to watch an interview of a CDE discussing these topics.

2 Likes

Do CDE’s really believe cinnamon helps BS in diabetics?