Miss a lot of work because of Blood Sugar swings?

I’m wondering if anyone else misses work because of their diabetes. I have terrible blood sugar swings. Some mornings I wake up with high blood sugars (3-400’s) and I feel sick the whole day. Also, when I have lows, I don’t feel well for several hours afterwards. I miss a lot more work than I would like to admit. BTW, I don’t know why I have the high blood sugars at times. “Dawn Phenomenon?” but when my docs make changes to my basal rate to correct it, I have lows because it’s not all the time. I wish I could get off the roller coaster! Anyone else dealing with this?

Hi there!

First off, did you just started pumping…? coz i was the same when i started although i dont get that high, mine was more of lows because i found out that my CDE set my basals too high, but anyways, ive learned to tweak it myself, it takes time, so be patient, but you need to test more often, the highs especially the lows are real scary… Also, I would recommend if you can get a copy of the John Walsh’s Book “Pumping Insulin”, it really helps… this is one of my guide when i started pumping…

Dawn Phenomenon- yeah it could be a factor too, especially that youre getting highs in the morning, or your overnight basals are not enough to cover the highs you have… if im not mistaken, this is the time of the day too that our body, although not for all, tends to be more resistant to insulin… Provided that the highs are because of the “DP”- then you need to tweak the basals two hours before these highs occur and vice versa,.but like I said- TEST MORE OFTEN…

I hope this helps…Im sure a lot of these kind fellas have something more to add… dont worry everything will fall into place, what is important is that youre in the right place-in this community, we understand each other here, so dont hesitate to ask…

Good Luck Tiff…!

Since I graduated college in December 2003, I’ve missed 1 day. And that was because I was in the hospital the day before due to a low blood sugar. I understand the randomness of the highs in the mornings. It happens to me too. In fact, I’ve been dealing w/ the the last several day. Have you thought about going on CGMS? It would help a LOT. I’ve been on CGMS for 2 years now and I have way less drastic swings because I catch them before they get too bad. I’m rarely over 250 (my CGMS alerts me when it hits 180, so that’s usually in the low 200’s w/ a blood test).
Have your swings in blood sugar been going on for a while? It’s not that you’re sick or PMSing is it? Just a thought. I know it sucks to miss work, especially when it’s due to diabetes. I hope you can get it under some sort of control soon!

I missed work a few weeks ago, and it was the first time in a loooong time. I’d sooner call in hungover or sniffly than diabetic. I’d fallen asleep without reattaching my tubing completely. Woke up at 486 at 3:30, changed my infusion set and gave myself an injection, then stayed awake until I was down to 200. Then woke up at 29 a few hours later.

So yeah, I felt like I’d been hit by the diabetes bus, and my husband convinced me to call in. Glad he did.

Usually the dawn phenomen is reproducible. It is just a reaction of the body to prepare to wake up. With the pump it is very easy to compensate the dawn reaction by increasing the basal profile one or most likely two hours before the blood glucose starts to rise.

In my experiences out of control has many aspects and not one single cause:

• the previous day determines the morning value of the current day. You should make sure that you have a stable blood glucose before you go to sleep. To reach this you should not eat anything within four hours to your sleeping period. If you go to sleep at 23:00 then the last time to eat is before 19:00. If you are too high before sleep then you should make a correction to reach your target value. Your pump should keep you stable until the morning comes (if the pump profile is correct).

• the effectiveness of the pump profile must be verified every 1/2 to 1 year. For this purpose a basal rate test is necessary. This is usually done in cooperation with your doctor. If your basal profile is not correct you need to make many corrections. These corrections accumulate and often this will lead to lows and wild swings. You can not win the battle against a faulty basal profile that is for sure.

Tiffiny, how about getting the Walsh book, Pumping Insulin.
I’m thinking I wouldn’t want to be at the whim of my doctor to make changes to my basal rate. They use ratios and figures that sometimes don’t work in all bodies, despite their desire to help.
There are so many periods of the day the basal on the MM can be set for (are you still on it?), changes can be made for a short short period to the basal and then tweaked to make it longer as needed. Best wishes as you work with it.

Doctors are wonderful; but you in control of it can do phenomenally better.
I suggest a Dexcom in combination with the pump would be awesome. (You’d have such fun researching your reactions to exercise, sleep, lack of stress, etc., you wouldn’t WANT to go to work!) Cheers!

Thanks for all the great suggestions everyone!!

One of the best books out the for learning about managing diabetes with insulin is Think Like a Pancreas; A Practical Guide to Managing Diabetes with Insulin. It is a practical guide that really “…tells it like it is.”

Tiffiny, have you tried to chart when you blood sugars are running so high in the morning? Over time, I’ve found that if I’m sick, stressed, or PMS’-ng, that my mornings (when I wake up) tend to be really high. Otherwise, it’s usually a couple of hours after I wake up that it starts to spike.

Hello Tiffany:

The “roller coaster” you’re darn right we ALL cope with it.

Even those whose “ride” claims/pretends/perceives to be ~straight track~ a kiddie ride! For all of us it is a struggle, lulled to numbness by an mind numbing eternity watching, prepairing for SOMETHING to happen, you get surprised and forget to put down the proverbail ~safety bar~ sometimes.

That day, the ride has a huge free fall where for weeks, months, decades there was none before…

But the answer to your much bigger problem… get to work period! We can’t stay at home and just be safe, only safe/cope there! Lousy or not, in we go. You don’t feel great for a good reason, but that does not mean we can miss work because of it.

I’m not as heartless, or unsympathetic as I might seem, but you’ve got to go to work if you want them to keep you.

Stuart