Misspelling, poor grammar and the grammar police

We’re all going to notice each other’s grammar mistakes. Oh well! Seems helpful to make corrections in titles when there’s a major error, but otherwise the whole thing seems a bit silly.

1 Like

Good point, Gary. I think making the effort to be understandable is what really matters.

Thanks Terry.

I don’t believe that anyone comes here seeking great works of literature. What we get here is conversation not literature. We see the way people talk not the way they write. Diabetes knows no social economic or academic bounds, it affects each class the same. Here the primary subject is diabetes, we all have our own way of addressing the subject.

The important thing is that we listen to each other regardless of our differing levels of language proficiency.

3 Likes

Really? Pfeh! I personally expect literary acclamation from my readers. Maybe I should just leave, then!

Listen to me!

Seriously, though, the one place where in might be important to at least clarify, if not correct another’s grammar is when that grammar (could) dramatically changes the intended meaning of a statement or question. There have been a few times that I’ve seen when a hastily-typed response created conflict over what was in fact a typo/grammar mistake. For example, I have a coworker that always sounds defensive/accusatory when he writes because he habitually adds the word “did” (“I did install that program yesterday and I did check that everything was working.” can be seen as defensive, whereas “I installed the software and check that everything was working.” is simply reporting on an action. I have seen this result in an unnecessary argument.)

1 Like

So have I and I understand your point. It would be nice if everyone spoke in nice precise language but not everyone is capable. Language skills vary greatly and written language skill varies even more, is it right to expect of someone what they can’t do. Is it right for the language police to embarrass someone that is less gifted with words. In these cases would it not be better to ask for clarification instead of being the corrector.

1 Like

I also like the idea of our words being similar to how we might speak in real life rather than a piece of formal literature. As @David49 eloquently put it,

2 Likes

i have baan teh TdUaibetas Spilleng Chapm for 286 weeks strgaht .

2 Likes

I masterfully did not refer to you by name, Rick! :smile:

1 Like

I am a closet grammar policewoman but I don’t correct anybody’s grammar online. I appreciate when posters check over their posts to make sure they are understandable and I do this myself for my own posts. Btw if I wrote the way I talk in real life all of my posts would be comprised of single syllable words and would sound very abrupt without body language to go with the written words. For me the bottom line is if I can understand what you are trying to say then you can spell your words any way you want ala @Rphil2.

1 Like

Capture

I don’t think so, It has a subject and a verb.

2 Likes

Exactly. And this is a perfect example of why we have no business correcting other people’s grammar. Most of us are simply not qualified to. We often hang on to “rules” we were taught in grade school, rules that were dubious to begin with and that were long ago rejected by professional editors and writers (Don’t start a sentence with And or But; Don’t end a sentence with a preposition; Don’t split an infinitive; None always takes a singular verb, etc. … all “errors” that are as old as English itself). Even among trained, certified, professional editors, there is rarely 100% agreement. (I know. I work alongside them.)

5 Likes

Grammar is a tricky, subjective, and often country-specific thing. I didn’t really understand English grammar until I started learning foreign languages.

Also, please don’t take this as criticism, but rather as a constructive suggestion: starting sentences with capital letters is a small improvement you can make that will go a long way.

1 Like

Does grammar really matter in a forum format? The main goal of this forum is to provide each other with diabetic advice and support. My typing and grammar can be excellent (I am a published author), but usually on I am on my phone or iPad and in a hurry when posting on this forum. I make plenty of grammar mistakes! I see them, but I do not bother to correct them.

For those of you who are bothered, consider putting your grammar skills to good use and volunteer at your local high school or university.

4 Likes

Grammar isn’t there to give us a headache. It exists to enhance comprehension and make meanings clear. And aren’t we all here to understand better?

5 Likes

+1

That is the reason for language itself. The more completely we are agreed on using the same rules for everyone, the clearer, less ambiguous, and safer communication becomes. (Yes, safer. Or have you never experienced a major problem or inconvenience that stemmed from a miscommunication??? Wars have begun that way.)

I can’t speak to other languages since I don’t know any, but the problem is heightened by the multivalued nature of English. You can radically change the meaning and sense of a sentence by simply adding or removing one punctuation mark, or, if it’s a spoken sentence, simply by the voice intonation.

If clarity matters, it matters with particular force in written communication, which lacks all the nonverbal clues that help to make oral communication work. So yeah, it matters everywhere, whether you’re composing a doctoral dissertation or dashing off a text message.

Of course, communication is never perfect and we all cut corners sometimes. The key decision that we must each make individually, is where and when and how much sloppiness to tolerate.

6 Likes

Well written, @David_dns. We can all increase our communication skills. It does take acceptance of the need to do so and the willingness to exert some effort. If one values convenience and speed over clarity, expect to be misunderstood more often.

Since I use text messaging more these days, I notice that some people assume that the sender of the last text knows their message was received and understood. A simple “OK” or “got it” confirmation helps to clarify.

2 Likes

I agree the auto correct feature can make me sound like an idiot! And I cringe when I read one of my posts.
But for me, I just don’t sweat the small stuff any longer. And someone’s spelling or punctuation skills is a small thing. This is for our wonderful teachers (God bless them!) to help our children learn.

Spelling is difficult for multilingual people as my wife pointed out address is spelled differently in Swedish, French and English.

1 Like

I appreciate your comment on spelling. I’ve had type 1 diabetes for 50 years. I did not go to high school having to work on farm. I don’t know proper gramery or spelling but still need the Web for education. What education of disease I’ve had for 50 years. You bet I need it.

5 Likes

Thank you @Brad3 what you have said about yourself (except the T1 part) could be said about my parents. My mom finished the eight grade, I’m not sure my dad even finished the seventh. Both were smart people and at 86 my mom still is. One generation ago I would have been my parents but they saw the value of at least a high school education and they saw that I at least went that far.

My parents grew up in a time and a place where good hard work was valued over an education. One did not need very much education to toil in the fields and make a home like their parents before them had.

I respect you @Brad3 because I know where you come from, you come from a place of hard working principles.

3 Likes