I just got to thinking that I would be dead several times over if it weren't for modern medicine. I am going to list here the episodes that my life has been saved! And my 2 children also wouldn't have been here. I am so grateful to be living today.
1. 1970. Born at 30 weeks. Lucky to have survived, particularly 40+ years ago. Even these days 30 weeks can have complications.
2. 2000. Hypothyroid due to complete thyroid failure. I now depend on oral thyroid hormone to stay alive and well. I was very unwell at the time I was finally diagnosed. With treatment the lights came back on, and with proper med adjustment the world had color again.
3. 2008. Appendicitis surgery when 3 months pregnant with my first (baby and I probably both wouldn't have made it without emergency surgery). Also on insulin the whole pregnancy. The pregnancy probably couldn't have had such a positive outcome with out insulin.
4. 2012. Emergency cesarian (baby was seatbelted into my uterus by the umbilical cord and couldn't be delivered). Again she and I probably wouldn't have made it without surgical intervention. This pregnancy also couldn't have proceeded without successfully without insulin.
5. I don't know if I could survive long without insulin either. Definitely I would be very ill without it.
So that's 2 surgeries and 2 types of critical meds I need to be alive. Of course that also makes long term access to these medicines critical as well.
So I count every day as a priviledge and blessed. I believe I am here for a reason and do my very best to make the world I pass through a better place than it was before I was here.
Please share if you want! :) Have a great day!