Monitoring Cholesteral

I’ve read that beans, fresh fruits, whole grains, and vegetables are all low in cholesterol – yum! How do you monitor your cholesterol to keep it under control? Visiting the doc regularly for a checkup is a good idea since people can’t actually “feel” bad cholesterol. This video from DiabetesActNow.org (click on “cholesterol”) explains why monitoring cholesterol is so important- check it out and let me know what you think! I work with the site, so please let me know if you have any questions.

My endo monitors my cholesterol level, LDL, HDL, Triglycerides, cholesterol ratio and a lipoprotein prfile every three months the same time with my Hba1c. My doctor explains keeping track of one’s cholesterol level it is very important specially for diabetics (Im a type 2, and usually have higher risk on cardiovascular diseases)
Exercise, maintaining a healthy weight and yes…foods high in fiber, such as oatmeal, fruit, vegetables, dried beans and peas are recommended =)

Call me a contrarian, but after extended research into the dietary fat, cholesterol and heart disease hypothesis, I am a confirmed non-believer. Yes, diabetics are at significantly increased risk for heart disease. But I am less than convinced that cholesterol lowering has a major impact on that risk, and certainly nothing like the improvement you get from more tightly controlling your blood sugar. As to eating beans, fresh fruit and whole grains, these are all carbs. As a diabetic, these will mess with my blood sugar and actually increase my cholesterol. I learned a lot by reading “Good Calories, Bad Calories” by Gary Taubes.

This whole cholesterol thing is a personal choice. All I am suggesting is that everyone should try to make an informed choice. Over time, I’ve come to be somewhat distrustful of this cholesterol advice from the AHA, ADA and the USDA.

I have a routine checkup this Friday.I go every 6 months unless I feel like crap then she’ll run blood work to make sure my cholesterol is ok and also check my other levels too.Then if they aren’t the problem then she’ll run other tests.

I’m a believer in controlling cholesterol. The LDL has been shown related to retinopathy. I think the cholesterol video shortchanges itself by mentioning only heart attack and stroke.
The videos obviously took a lot of time and thought to develop.
Monitoring cholesterol needs a heart’s arteries being plugged up and a heart leaking its blood; it needs a brain having a hemorrhage due to plugged up arteries. Then it would make an impact.
I looked at 5-6 more.
It’s hard to realize that this is really where our population is: at 2nd grade level, so to speak. Perhaps the videos could be worked into 2nd graders’ curriculum in health education so that by the next generation health educators can be talking actual physiology and taking the general population to a deeper knowledge level.

BSC- Thanks for your opinion, I think you’re right on the money that your personal health decisions should be exactly that, personal. Making choices based on your own body and preferences.

Rosalee- Good luck at the doctor. I hope it went well! Next time you go, this goals card from DiabetesActNow.org may be helpful. Check it out: http://www.diabetesactnow.org/simpleanswers/goals_card.pdf

Leona- Thanks for taking a look at the videos. You make a good point that we don’t educate early enough about good health. Often times our population waits until it’s too late. If you have any other video suggestions or comments let me know!