More misinformation by the general public

hi - technically, we have T1 with increased insulin resistance during pregnancy so it is a time when you have T1 with gestational T2 diabetes at the same time! I was initially diagnosed as GD in my first pregnancy, then told a week later (after GAD testing) that I actually had late onset T1. Big shocker. Believe me, I gave up early on trying to educate people (including nurses and doctors) on what kind of diabetes I have. In the end, diabetes is diabetes is diabetes in pregnancy. It is a challenge! I got a detailed explanation from one of my physicians as to why, even with well controlled sugars the babies are often large. (i think it has something to do with the amount of exogenous insulin taken by the mom but don't quote me. i will research this and get back to this post). Anyhow, I had twins and they were born (at my insistence) at 36w5d weighing 7lb8oz and 6lb13oz. HUGE for twins. And I am not a big person. And my mom did not have large babies. And I do not want to scare anyone, but the size of my twins caused a very serious (life threatening) postpartum complication for me. Big babies are a reality of diabetics, even with great numbers and a1c levels. I actually think smaller sized babies to diabetics are not the norm.

I was taking a lot of insulin at the end of my pregnancy but I also had excellant control the whole way through the pregnancy. Olivia was born right at 38 weeks and she was 7lbs 1oz... I have always wondered how much she would have been had I gone to 40 weeks.