Morning Basal

If you do a morning basal injection, do you still do a pre-meal fast acting insulin injection?

Yes! The basal releases slowly over about 20 to 23 hours, sometimes reaching a slight peak after a few hours (esp. with Lantus). It won’t release the additional insulin you need to cope with the breakfast carbs. It operates on a chemical level very differently from fast-acting insulin (e.g. Lantus forms crystals which break down, which is why you can inadvertently speed up the release if you toss and turn while sleeping!).

A non-D pancreas releases a basal insulin over time, and responds to an influx of carbs after meals by releasing additional bolus insulin. The combination of a single or dual (for me) shot basal plus a bolus before each meal is as close as injectors can realistically get to a non-D (I will not say “normal”) pancreatic action.

Yes, I’m in agreement to Ross. That’s what I do.

When I’m off my OmniPod pump, which is about half the time, I do 2 basal shots a day with a pen. The Levemir I use requires 2 shots because it doesn’t last as long as Lantus. My doctor wants me to space the shots 12 hours apart. When school was in, I shoot at bedtime - 10PM and 10AM. The 10AM shot was during class 3 days a week but that was no problem once they realized what I was doing. The first time I shot in class he rather rudely asked me what I was doing. I told him I was diabetic and needed insulin or I might die right here in his class. After that he leaves me alone.

yes

Chuck,
Absolutely. I put both insulins in front of me and take one after the other, since I eat about 20 min. later.

I use a fast-acting injection after I wake up whether I eat at that time or not. Otherwise my sugar will start rising fast. If I didn’t take it, my sugar would go too high and I’d have to use a lot more Insulin to get it down. I usually eat something small, about 1/2 hour after that particular shot unless I wake up lower than I like. Then I eat something right after the injection.