Motivation!

Ok mothers...

How did you do it? I want a baby more than you can imagine. BUT...

I cannot seem to have the time, energy, or will power to get my weight and A1C down like it should be. I am a teacher so over the summer I really worked hard and brought my A1C down from 7.6 to 6.6 and lost 10lbs. However, now that school has started back (I teach first grade) I don't have the time to check my sugar as often (I am on a CGM though), or have the evergy to work out and cook healthy. I keep making bad decision after bad decision and I'm sure my A1C is probably back up (I do to the dr. in 2 weeks). How will I ever get my body ready if I can't gain enough will power? It is SO hard. I am 162 lbs which is probably too much weight to get pregnant as well. I am type I and on a pump and would LOVE some helpful tips to get the ball rolling (especially with holidays coming up)!

I know exactly how you feel. I am not trying to get pregnant yet, but I know sometime in the near future I will want to. I am 29 yrs old, 5’2, and 155 lbs. My A1C was over 8 last time so the the doctor raised my basal rate, and I have been doing much better, but I have absolutely NO energy to work out or cook healthy meals. I would love to know how people keep themselves motivated when they are always so tired or busy.

We’re right there together…maybe we can help each other out :wink:
I am 27 and want to wait about a year but I know I need to get my butt in gear NOW or it’ll be too late when I want to start ttc. I am 5’2 as well. I was 120lbs when I got married but grad school on top of working made me pack on the lbs with eating awful and never working out. I’ve tried but it takes a lot of dedication. I feel like it’ll never happen.

I’m a teacher, tooo - it’s so exhausting, isn’t it?? Some days I can hardly get off the couch once I get home!

I noticed you didnt mention exercise – so important for blood sugar control and diabetics! Also helps motivation and depression, and it’s really the key to loosing weight when you have metabolic issues like we do… Easier said than done, right!!!

One thing that work for me - join a gym right by your school, go there on the way home - once i’m home - forget about going to work out again!! but i have been going swimming 2-3 times a week after school and i really love it. I think i love the sauna/steam room more, and i feel like it sanitizing all those germs off me from the kids! I felt it helped last winter to keep colds away, too. And it REALLY DOES help the blood sugars.

On Saturdays I walk to the farmers market to buy 7 apples for my week, an apple a day! having healthy foods around helps for sure and try not to have foods you can’t control your self around the house at all – i’m not safe around Peanut Butter, I’ll stand over the jar with a knife and go crazy, so I just don’t have it around any more . Sad, but easier to resist what’s not there!

good luck! We all need a little push now and then. For me and teaching, it’s the birthday’s that are hard to resist. I’ve asked the kids to bring me an apple instead of a cupcake!!

I was 165 lbs when I got pregnant. Went up to 200 and lost it all breastfeeding.

But I was 183 lbs at my wedding and my A1c was over 7 and I was where you are. Teaching, busy, not checking my numbers, etc. When two of my bridesmaids got pregnant while I was on my honeymoon, however, I came back on a mission. I joined Weight Watchers the day after I learned their news, thinking that, if I couldn’t bring down the A1c, I could at least shed some pounds. 6 months later, I was down to 160 lbs and my A1c had dropped to 6.1%. I got the green light and, 9 months later, finally got pregnant (still at 6.1%).

For me, WW was a really D-friendly plan that I could manage while teaching/living/etc. I made a committment to NEVER eat without knowing my blood sugar - even one bite. And then I left meters EVERYWHERE. In my file cabinet at work, on my nightstand, in the bathroom, in my purse. If I saw it, I made myself test. And that made me more aggressive about my numbers. Knowledge is power. And losing weight was empowering, too.

I’m currently 167 lbs, last A1c (July) was 6.6%. My nine month old daughter is perfect in every way. So you can do this!!!

Thanks!
YES, I do realize the importance of working out and I have gotten much better about it. I go to Zumba for an hour three times a week and Body Pump for an hour twice a week. I try to walk on the days I don’t go but there are some weeks I only get two days of a workout it. As you know it’s also such a struggle to monitor my sugar and make sure it’s just right for a workout. I think I just need to be more careful with what I eat and HOW MUCH!!!

WOW—Congratulations!
This is definitely encouraging. The meters everywhere is a good idea. I’m only checking about 3-4 times a day right now and rely on my CGM too much but I know that’s checking it enough. I just feel like the more insuling I give my self to keep my sugar at a certain level the more weight I will gain. It’s hard finding the right balance. All of my friends around me are having babies now and I feel like they don’t have to worry nearly as much as we do! They can decide to do it and go for it…not us!

Hell, I’m at 260 right now (I’m 6 foot but that is still quite overweight) and my A1C is only 5.3 to 6.0. I think the exercise and types of foods you eat have a lot more to do with it then you might think.

Plus when you are prego and diabetic, a lot of the time you have to be so strict you don’t gain much. I’m 8 months along and I’ve only gained about 10 pounds, If you really want to do it, talk to your endo and see what their goals for you are and also see if you can get a consultation with a high risk OBGYN and see what is expected of you and how your condition changes during pregnancy. :slight_smile:

If you’re on an insulin pump, try setting the alarms to remind you to test post-meal. That made a huge difference for me. The CGM helped by letting me know which foods I was eatting were causing a spike. I had to give up cereal and fruit for breakfast. I ate High-fiber english muffins with eggs or PB.
One of the best things to do to be mindful of what you’re eatting is to keep a food journal. I had a small notebook where I wrote down my blood sugar, what I ate and how much insulin I took.
I agree with the other posters about keeping healthy food on hand. Try to prep most of it as soon as you bring it home from the store. Buy individual bags of your favorite treats to help keep you from overeatting. I like the Skinny Cow icecream bars/cookies.

I tested 14 times a day during that time (pre-CGMS). I got the CGMS a month AFTER I was released to try to conceive. Once I started on my Navigator though, I dropped to 6-8 times a day. I don’t ever use the CGMS number to dose insulin. And it’s not because it’s inaccurate; mine is spot on. It’s just a bad habit when you’re trying to make fine grain adjustments to blood sugars.

Holy Cow…14 times!!! I guess I probably checked that much in the beginning of my diabetes days but slacked off drastically. I need to find a happy medium. I never correct based on my CGM either because mine is inaccurate a lot of the time. I’ve gotta get better! A baby is totally worth it and that’s what I need to keep reminding myself when I go without checking and/or pick up those “forbidden foods!”

Thanks for sharing! I have an appointmentn in 2 weeks so maybe we can discuss it a little more. Because of my heigth I think she did suggest I lose 20lbs which means I’m halfway there but I would like to lose a little more. That’s encouraging that you haven’t gained much! You’re right about food and exercise. I know what I HAVE to do I just need to start taking it seriously!

Thanks for the suggestions! Setting an alarm is a great idea. My students always start asking me “what is that noise” when it goes off. :slight_smile: I do need to keep a food journal…just so time consuming but I need to realize it may take that. It would be much easier to keep out the unhealthy foods if it weren’t for my husband! :slight_smile: Likek I told Rachel above, I know the right things to eat because I’ve heard it all my life being a diabetic but I have to find the drive to stick to it. It seems like SUCH a slow process to lose weight when you’re having to correct, etc.

i recommend going to preconception consulting in california its called sweet success its for diabetics trying or are pregnant. when i was first pregnant earlier in the year my a1c was 8.5 i ended up having a miscarriage. after joining the program i got my a1c to 5.7 and when i found out i was pregnant again my a1c was 4.8 i wrote a discussion about it
http://www.tudiabetes.org/group/ohbaby/forum/topics/has-anyone-been-in-the

It sounds like you can do it and have been doing great! Just so you don’t feel so bad about yourself, I was 197 at conception with an A1C of 6.5. I also work at a school but I"m a Special education teacher and its a little easier to check inbetween stuff that I do. I heard of a teacher once talking to her class about having to test during the day and the kids would remind her. YOu don’t have to tell them about your plans to get pregnant and even when you are until you start showing. I would enlist the kids to help you put testing into your regime! P.S. I’m probably too heavy too but my doctors didn’t even mention the weight when I was trying. Maybe cause I’m old and they wanted me to just get it done? Anyway, Good luck!

Thanks for the recommendation. I’m in Georgia…is it only offered in California?

Thank you!!! You’re words are very encouraging! That’s actually a really good idea to incorporate my students to remind me. And as you know the kids WON’T forget! :slight_smile:

I was checking when I woke up (1) and drank my coffee, again before breakfast (2), 1 and 2 hours after (3,4), before lunch (5), 1 and 2 hours after (6,7), mid-afternoon (8), before dinner (9), 1 and 2 hours after (10,11), before bed (12), and any time in between that I felt low or high.

In the beginning of my diabetes days (or the first decade), I tested 4 times a day. That was what they used to tell us to do. We weren’t encouraged to test in between. Just breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snack. That’s probably why my A1c stayed in the 10-15% range for years. So this was not my norm either to test this often. But those post-prandial numbers are the numbers that are usually high and putting a baby in danger, so I had to learn to watch those long before I added an actual baby to my routine.

I was diagnosed only 6 years ago at the age of 21 and I was definitely overly obsessed with being PERFECT. Like I said, that eventually changed. It is very smart to go ahead and get used to checking so much pre pregnancy. How were you able to find the time during teaching to check so often. That’s what I’m battling…that, and of course watching what I eat and finding the energy to exercise!

It helped to have certain times I always tested. I taught at a high school and could test between every class, which put me testing every hour and a half or so. That took care of the post-breakfast (8am,9am), pre-lunch (10:30ish), post-lunch (1:00,2:30), and mid-afternoon (3:30) times fairly easily. I just had to find times that worked for my class schedule.

It was my CDE and endo’s idea to “pretend” I was pregnant so that the baby and the hormones were all that changed to my routine.