Mr. Incredible | Four Years Later

I don't normally do this, but I'm having trouble with formatting the pictures which are important to the story, so I've taken you as far as I can and link you back to my wordpress blog. Today's a special day for Caleb and the TuDiabetes family serves a special place in our hearts so I wanted to include you. Again, sorry for the rerouting...

This is Caleb...

It's been a relaxing holiday recess. No running around for the normal activities. Just hanging out, playing, enjoying each other's company and watching movies.

Among the movies we watched was one of my favorites that we hadn't watched in a while.

Four years to be precise.

Four years ago Caleb was three and was a huge fan of The Incredibles. More specifically, a huge fan of Dash.

As we watched the movie, I realized Caleb was going through his Dash phase at the time he was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. It all starting coming back to me.

I remembered being told by the pediatrician that we needed to go home and do nothing other than pack a bag and get to Yale New Haven Hospital as quickly as we could. I went home, packed the essentials and ran downstairs to my "stash". It was after Christmas, but before Caleb's birthday and I had some things collected for him. I pulled out a few. I remembered presenting him with the storybook featuring The Incredibles in the ER in an attempt to distract him while what seemed like ten people tried to hold him down to place an IV in his arm. I remembered being in his hospital room with him the following day, just the two of us, and giving him The Incredibles LeapPad game in an attempt to cheer him up. It didn't work all that well.

I remembered how only weeks after being diagnosed Caleb had his fourth birthday party. The theme was Disney's Cars, but many of his gifts were Dash related, like...

...the lamp that also holds his medical ID bracelets...

ID Bracelet Holder/Lamp

...and Dash himself.

"I'm the Dash!"

I remembered not caring how many gifts Caleb got that year when normally I try to be careful not to overdo it and spoil the kids. That year he couldn't be spoiled enough.

I remembered him wearing the jersey that Grandma and Grandpa had given him for Christmas. He wore it during his hospital stay and also at his birthday party.

Breaking into the toy closet at the hospital.

Continue at "This is Caleb..."

I never know what's the appropriate response to a D anniversary. Celebrating life is always a good thing, of course. Commemorating the life changing events & milestones that make us who we are is also good, but still leaves me stumped as to what to say:)

I love The Incredibles. I was babysitting a friend's son & he renamed my animals with the characters' names, so I had to see the movie to know what he was talking about.

Hugs to Caleb. He is Mr. Incredible!

A gigantic hug from all of us to MR. INCREDIBLE!!!

Gerri - I totally agree. I tend to say “congrats” - meaning how great it is that you’ve achieved another wonderful year with this beast - but that seems a little upside down to me. :slight_smile:

Thanks to you both for being part of our family and support. I feel like we’ve made great progress in the past 4 years - we’re in a very different and better place - and I credit TuD and the people who make it what it is, a great deal with that.

what a cool little guy. It makes memiss my little granddaughter so much. i sense a trip to MI comming up int he near future. After all its been almsot 3 weeks since I saw her.

rick phillips

Your son is a little doll:) and Happy Day and celebrate his life in a million ways:)

I know as a teen diagnosed til this yr, I have counted each one as a mile stone and greatful… so Happy Day for Caleb:) and to his health and wonderful Mommy:)

Thank you!