MSG and diabetes

Scientists have discovered a T2 diabetes-like syndrome in rats injected with the common food additive MSG, monosodium glutamate:

http://ep.physoc.org/content/93/2/213.full

More evidence that the diabetes epidemic may be due as much to environmental factors and not just too many cheese burgers and couch time. Not quite as good of a sound bite though:)

Perhaps not coincidentally I’ve noticed high carb dishes are often highest in msg, possibly to make them taste like they contain more expensive ingredients such as meat. In avoiding high carb foods I’m usually avoiding msg at the same time by default.

It’s doubly insidious because it’s not always listed as MSG. Here’s a partial list of synonyms for MSG.

Glutamic acid, monosodium salt; L-Glutamic Acid Monosodium Salt; Sodium L-Glutamate, Mono; L-(+)sodium glutamate; Glutamate monosodium salt; monosodium-L-glutamate; sodium-L-glutamate; L-Glutamic acid, monosodium salt, monohydrate.

It also naturally occurs in soy sauce.

Ive been noticing more and more food products available has it though =( Takes me forever to do my grocery shopping just reading labels…

Yeah, too bad reading doesn’t lower bgs =)

Thanks for the list! I’ve always just looked for MSG in the ingredients.