Must Buy New Phone as DexG6 No Longer Supported

That’s unfortunate. From what you posted I’m assuming that you haven’t contacted BlueJay since you received the watch .

There is absolutely nothing in Canadian communications infrastructure that would present any kind of a unique problem for device that was developed and is sold by company located in Surrey, UK. There are only three countries in the world that use distinct Bluetooth frequencies and they’re still within the 2.4 gigahertz band.

Your problem could be with the watch/charger, the Bluetooth pairing process or your Samsung phone. While Samsung is one of the very few Android brand devices that Dexcom has “certified”, it is well known that its proprietary “premium experience” modifications to Android are problematic, breaking not just Dexcom’s apps but many others with every security patch and OS update. If Dexcom had worked directly with Google the developer of Android as they did with Apple, the developer of iOS, instead of with Samsung, most of these issues wouldn’t have happened.

I chose to use a cheaper generic stock Android phone instead of a "premium’ brand because I don’t need “premium”. I need dependability and reliability based on standards.

I don’t know your system configuration, but there’s some things that
you must understand. Bluetooth is a secure protocol that uses a unique private key to link two “hosts” over one channel. A host is an app on a device.

The G5/G6 CGM has two Bluetooth channels, one for a remote display, one for a receiver. The Dexcom can only be programmed to directly communicate with two hosts at one time.

The G6 primary Bluetooth channel is for a Dexcom receiver, or an alternative receiver like a Tandem pump, but not both at one time. If one has been in use recently, it needs to be turned off and stay off for a while before a different one can be connected.

The second channel is for a remote display. It can be used with one Android app on one Android device. That device can work as a relay. The Dexcom apps have shared communication software so they can coexist as one host.

If you have the Dexcom apps on that phone loaded and paired with a Dexcom CGM, you can not simultaneously connect the Xdrip+ app to that Dexcom CGM. If you have a Dexcom receiver connected to a Dexcom transmitter you can not pair that transmitter with another alternative receiver.

What I would suggest is that you try to load the Xdrip+ app on a phone (ideally a basic Android phone) as an alternative receiver to see if the problem is with the watch, Bluetooth, the phone or how you are trying to connect.

In Android, unpair the phone from the Dexcom CGM. To eliminate possible software conflicts temporarily uninstall the Dexcom apps.

Launch Xdrip+ and let it pair with the Dexcom CGM. You should get a pairing prompt within 10 minutes. If not see, if the G6 appears in the list of available Bluetooth sources. as DexcomXX, XX= the last 2 digits of the transmitter ID.

If you can connect the Xdrip+ app on the phone to the G6, then reset the watch. Niw try to use the Xdrip+ app to connect to the watch.

If that doesn’t work the watch is defective, and you should contact Bluejay for a replacement. If it works, you’ve proven that the watch can connect via Bluetooth and is working ok as a repeater display.

Now, if you wish, you can try to connect the watch directly to the G6 as an alternative receiver.

Reset the watch. Power off the Dexcom receiver. If you don’t know how to do that, then wrap the receiver in aluminum foil and put it at least 30 ft away from you for half an hour and keep it there. Follow the directions for connecting the watch to the primary channel of the G6.

Note: My understanding of the Dexcom G7 CGM, which might not be released in Canada or the US for a while yet, is that it will eliminate the need for a hardware receiver. If true, that would permit the Dexcom “receiver” app and the Xdrip+ remote display app to coexist - provided you have an “approved” phone.

2 Likes