My basal is my lifeline

I mostly adjust things as needed and if I need help I can call them at any time.

Elizabeth, I just got back from a trip, so just now saw your post here. Mostly adjusting things as needed and calling them at any time is not working if you have an a1c of 10.3. In my book that equals 250mg/dL. Get on a routine, learn your sensitivity, learn your i:c ratios thru the day and use them for every meal. You need someone looking over your food book, your test results, your doses given, and giving ideas. Get a CDE/coach who meets with you once a week for a few weeks. Do your basal test as well and ensure you're staying in target around the clock.

You've gotten a lot of good advice here. It's up to you to use it. Every one of us has probably gone through spurts of what you're going through. It's a common experience for T1s. This disease is demanding and frustrating and time-consuming. Unfortunately, I have read some posts on here from T1s who did neglect things for too long and ended up with irreversible complications. It's sad, and all I can tell you is that it happens. And once it happens, there's no going back.

One thing to remember is that --- YOU ARE NOT ALONE!! Many of us have been where you are, and many of us understand how you feel.

Start with changing just one or two things, like testing first thing in the AM or counting the carbs accurately for at least one meal. Once you've gotten one or two of those changes under your belt, tackle another one.

You can't make every day perfect. Yes, there are some meals that I totally SWAG for and sometimes when I skip testing before a meal. But I make these the exceptions, and no the rules!

You mention that your job is playing into your inability to find a routine. Yes, then finding a new job might be a good idea. But you can also find a schedule within your job. It's possible. Many of us work crazy hours and are able to maintain decent control.

What is, in your opinion, the most significant contributor at this point to your high A1C? What is one thing you're doing or not doing that is leading to high BGs?

I was pretty much ignoring the fact that I even had diabetes. Pretending it wasn't there. Since my last apt. and since posting on here I have been in pretty good control. 7 day average is 143. I am SO happy with that. It's frustrating that it has only been 5 days though and it seems like I have been working like crazy to keep my numbers under control. But then when I REALLY think about it, it's not that bad really. I am so thankful for all of you supporting me with this struggle.

Thanks so much!!

And I just looked up what a 146 a1c is and it would be 6.7 I have NEVER seen an a1c that low.

Bravo, Elizabeth! Now you know it can be done. The rest is up to you, but you will find all the support you could ever want right here on tuD, any time of the night or day. But you knew that already. :)

Small steps and steady progress are the way to go. Keep up the good work!

ok now you're doing it! Don't try to go lower, Elizabeth. Keep doing this, since dropping too far too quickly is fraught with problems. BRAVO!

Awesome! Way to go :)

David, couldn't agree with you more. I also improved my A1C after I started keeping a log. I also test myself more often.
There are many Apps for Iphone or the android phones for keeping a log. I use the App, Glucose Buddy. The App is free. I enter my blood sugar and Glucose Buddy records the time automatically. Same with medications and exercise.
With one click of the button the data is uploaded to Glucose Buddy website. I log in and print out the logs as needed. The website also calculates A1C, a good estimate, always lower (better) than the A1C computed by my Endo

I can only second what has already been said. I know it seems overwhelming and you already know its hard work. Try starting with baby steps. For example, test everyday before breakfast and soon enough it will become not as hard as you thought and then move on from there.
I usually would never say to someone to google pics of diabetes complications but maybe you should. Yesterday I was taking care of an adult,( I am a pediatric nurse) close to my age, who was poorly controlling his blood sugars, and he was a train wreck. Every system complication that you could have from diabetes, he had. His quality of life was terrible. I hate to say it but for me, one of my motivators is the fear of becoming this guy.
Think about how much you impact your own future by taking care of yourself and not being a victim of diabetes, both mentally and physically.
There is nothing easy about this. Make the conscious decision to take control and not let diabetes control you.

I agree with PedsRN. I have been an RN for 30 years, in addition to having T1 since I was a small child. My personal analogy of diabetes is it is like an out of control pit bull. If you don't control it it WILL control you. Even if you do control it the best you can there are no guarantees, but at least you know you tried. My motivation is the fear of complications and potential death. That's enough for me. Like PedsRN I have cared for plenty of patients who did not take care of their diabetes and the complications resulting consume their lives. That is not where I want to end up.