My best bg-levels during a hike, ever

Woke up with perfect bg’s. Decided we would hike our usual one, up a steep hill for 5 miles, round trip. Breakfast: 2 eggs, 2 bacon, 2 Eggo waffles filled with fresh diced strawberries. Turned on the speak-readings feature for xDrip and hiked with confidence! It was a great day to be out in the sunshine! (the hike began around 8:15 and ended around 10:30). I couldn’t have enjoyed the hike nearly as much without the Dexcom and audible readings, for both convenience and for maintaining better bg control. I took 2U bolus prior to breakfast, then turned down pump basal to just under 50%. As I got to the beginning of the inclined trail, I turned the basal OFF. Resumed it 1/2 way back down, to the 50% rate, when about 1 mile from the end, turned basal back to full. Adjusting basals like this is crucial for me to maintain level/safe bg levels so I won’t have to snack or take corrective boluses.

11 Likes

Well done! Congratulations! Isn’t it wonderful when everything works out just right?

1 Like

Good job! I find temp basals perform better and more quickly than one might expect. When I first heard of the idea of using a temp basal to influence near term BGs, I was skeptical. I thought since the insulin had an onset time of about 15 minutes and a peak of 90 minutes or so, the ability to affect the current BG line would be limited to non-existant.

But it works more quickly than I ever imagined. As an example, here’s a phenomena I watch every day when I disconnect from my pump to shower for 10 minutes. I often see this 30 minute long by 10 mg/dL tall shower bump. There’s only about a 10 minute lag from pump disconnect to an upward deflection in the trace.

06%20PM

Your experience reminds me of Stephen Ponder’s sugar surfing techniques.

2 Likes

Yay–well done, and don’t it feel great when it actually works!

Hardest part for me managing exercise is getting the temp basal right, but it has been easier since I switched to Fiasp. Novolog/Humalog both required me to start dropping my rate about two hours out, which is a real pain if something interferes with your timing. Not to mention when it’s in anticipation of my homeward bike commute I sometimes end up having to drop my basal while still fighting a post-prandial spike, which is really hard to convince myself to do. But Fiasp has a much shorter tail for me–if I drop it to zero, I’ll start seeing my BG start ramping up by the end of an hour, which is a much easier time frame to plan around. Made a huge difference in getting home without going low.

1 Like

Hi there,

Do you mind me asking what type of glucose meter/method you use?

Thank you! :slight_smile:

Dexcom G5, MM 551 pump, S7 phone, and Gear 2 smartwatch. The phone has audible readouts of glucose levels, and both the phone (via a widget on a home screen) and the watch (via notifications) show current interstitial fluid glucose levels, trending arrows and the phone only, has the graph too.

2 Likes

Do they display ISF or IOB?

i meant interstitial fluid glucose levels, and totally botched it. lol

Yeah, I thought you were following movement of your insulin sensitivity factor through the day. It is a good factor to keep in mind when making insulin pump changes but I’ve never heard of someone monitoring it moment-to-moment on personal diabetes electronics! Thank-you for clarifying.

2 Likes