My blood sugar questions

Hey.

As I shared in my intro, my doc did NOT give me a diabetes diagnosis in mid-October as my fasting test came back 95. I started testing myself in mid-September and had seen 120g FBS.

However, I had changed my eating habits to high fat, low carb and cut out sugar about 5 wks earlier, and I feel if i had not made those changes, my FBS would have been high enough for a dx. (not that i WANT the dx).

So i continue to test myself (i use a Wavesense) and work at fine-tuning my eats to get my blood sugar levels down to what I’ve read are ‘normal’ readings: 83.

Initially, i’ve got two questions:

1 - why would my 2-hr postprandial #s be higher than my 1-hr? Even tonight, my 1-hr was 93 but 2 hr was 103. This happens at least 50% of the time.

2 - when do foods eaten affect FBS? In other words, are the foods i ate yesterday affecting this morning’s FBS or is it accumulative (several day’s worth of eating)?

Over Thanksgiving weekend, I know i ate more carbs than i ‘should have’ (for eating ‘low carb’ - which, for me, means under 50) and my fat intake was ‘low’ (lower than my usual 151g). Yet, starting Friday of that weekend, my FBS were in the low 90s and upper 80s. Now that I’m back to my ‘usual’ Optimal Diet ratios, my FBS is back in to the low 100s.

Thnx!

Given the inaccuracy of meters, a difference of 10 pts is really nothing.

Two hour postprandial is higher than one hour because you’ve digested your meal more completely at two hours. Different food digests at different rates. Carbs digest first & start breaking down from enzymes in saliva. Protein & fats are the slowest. A meal with a lot of protein & fat slows down digestion, can take many hours to digest & you could see a rise much later than two hours. You could experiment by testing at three hours once in a while to see what’s happening. People have varying digestive rates. Though to a much lesser degree than carbs, protein & fat also effect BG because they do turn to glucose.

Fasting BG isn’t cumulative. Fasting BG can be effected by the previous night’s dinner, depending on how late you ate before bed, how quickly you digest food & what you ate. Once food is digested & hits your bloodstream, that’s it.

Clearly, you have insulin production & are utlizing it–wonderful! Many things effect BG–hormones, activity level, illness, stress, infection-- that could account for slightly increased numbers now.

Exercise is just as important as the diet.

Also, depending on the Glycemic Index of whatever you eat, your BG numbers will rise slowly, or quickly, so pay attention to that when you get those “higher after two hours than one” incidents.

John

Depending on your digestive rate, you could be higher or lower at any time postprandial. Most people have digested a meal around 2 hours after eating, so that’s the guideline given for testing. For people on rapid acting insulin to cover meals, insulin is timed to peak at the time of digestion. I don’t know if you’ll be higher or lower at 3 hours:) I was suggesting you test to find out.

Yep, your slightly higher fasting now, compared to Thanksgiving, could be due to any number of factors. Some people report fasting higher if they don’t get enough sleep.

If you don’t mind me asking, why are you eating a starchy food with dinner? Know you’re working hard to keep BG down without meds. Better to eat something high carb for lunch when you’re more active to lessen the effect.

Weight training is great for BG control. More muscle mass increases efficiency of insulin. Sorry about your shoulder. Any type exercise you can do consistently is wonderful!