My Body, the Science Experiment

After reading all the stories about diabetics being able to eat anything thy like as long as they take insulin to cover it, and remembering that my dietician told me that I can eat anything I like once in a while, I decided to splurge on some KFC.

Normally, when I don’t eat a low GI meal I have to take 2 to 4 units of insulin. On the other hand, I was going to indulge in a high GI, high fat carb fest so I couldn’t gauge from my previous insulin dosages what I should do in this situation. I decided to take 4 units.

Then I ate a regular fries and large serving of KFC pops. Boy, did I feel terrible!!!

After 2 hours my sugars was close to being in range, so I calmed down and thought I’d check again at four hours, as I seem to drop low around four hours after taking insulin. At four hours they’d dropped a little, but were still high. I figured they were on a downward trend, and went to bed.

I woke up at 2am with sugars substantially higher and a pain in my chest. My ribs were very sore. I was having trouble breathing, as though there was something swollen up and blocking my lungs. The skin between my rib bones was sticking out. I reached for my phone and googled “sore ribs”. This of course did not help at all, but did give me a list of possible (and scary) conditions that I may have and a list of famous people who died from them!! I took a unit of insulin - I didn’t want to take more because I didn’t want to drop, and I have premixed so I had to think about the long term implications too. I decided to take some ibuprofen for the pain. While waiting for it to kick in, I weighed up the possibility of trying to sleep with the potential consequences of being unconscious and not having anyone know about it. I decided not to phone my mother and tell her, and to try to get some sleep. I woke up again at 5am, feeling quite a bit better but still sore. I topped up my hot water bottle with freshly boiled water, held it to my chest, and went back to sleep. I called in sick the next day so that I could get some real sleep and get my sugars back under control. I spent most of the day sleeping, but by the following day I was back to normal.

All in all, it was a rather terrifying ordeal - made substantially worse by my high BG level and rollercoaster emotions. Was it worth it? No. Would I do it again? Maybe, cos I’d like to figure out how much insulin I would need to cover that type of meal…

Well, I’m sorry your experiment didn’t go as well as I’m sure you had hoped. Figuring out your insulin to carb ratio would certainly help, if you don’t know what that is yet. You can get nutrition info about what you’re eating at chain restaurants like that on their websites more often than not these days (it wasn’t clear to me if you had that info or not). That way you would have a better idea of how much insulin to take. Since you aren’t on a pump, you would need to split your dose for a meal so high in fat because the effects on your BG will be prolonged - as you figured out. Beyond that, moderation is the key to eating “whatever you want”. Like if I were to eat a meal like that, I would get small sizes of everything, and add a garden salad or something like that to make up for the smaller portions. That way I could have my ‘treat’, but minimize its effects on my BG. I’m also the queen of leftovers. Whenever I eat out, I almost always bring home half of what I eat. Even when I get dessert, as long as it’s not ice cream, I’ll only eat 1/3 to 1/2, and then I ask for a doggie bag for that in addition to whatever is left of my entree. Plus, I almost always get a side salad, which I already mentioned. So it’s possible to eat the things you like - all of them - but it’s super important to have certain strategies like those I suggested or ones you can discuss with your nutritionist before you indulge in a meal like that. Don’t give up on enjoying the foods you like, just find ways to adapt so you can have your cake and eat it too. Portion control and moderation are the the key :slight_smile: