My Diagnosis

It was the last week of March, 2009, and I was on Spring Break in Florida as a last "hurrah" with my friends since I would be graduating high school soon. I honestly don't remember feeling sick, but that week was the strangest experience of my life. I had every single high blood sugar symptom: excessive thirst and urination, infections, weakness and blurred vision. For whatever reason, I didn't seem to be concerned about anything except my vision. When I returned home, I went to the doctor for my annual check-up. I told him some of the problems I was having, he checked my sugar (580), and sent me to the hospital. I knew nothing about diabetes and remember crying and texting my friends who reassured me I would be fine because "Nick Jonas and Brett Michaels have diabetes." I only spent one night in the hospital, got a quick lesson of how to count carbs, dose insulin and check my sugar. The only information I was told was to "eat whatever I wanted, just take the right amount of insulin." I remember going home that night and eating KFC for dinner, trying to figure out the carbs- how ridiculous! I now know I can't eat like that, and eat a very low carb diet. The last 4 years have been a real wake-up call, but I'm thankful I am finally in control of my health and on the right path!