My Early, Early first impression of Tandem T-Flex,

The T-Flex is an pump designed with the insulin resistant T2 in mind, a good thing for me since the resistant force runs strong in me.

I went for pump training today which was provided by a very competent CDE. This is not my first pump so training moved along at a fast pace.

Having two boluses under my belt now (I said this was an early impression) I can say that I love the touch screen of the T-Flex. The T-Flex does not connect with my meter but that is not a problem, BG entry is almost effortless with the on-screen keypad. Same with carb entry, no more scrolling up and down trying to hit that magic number.

The part that makes this pump great for a T2 is that it can actually be programmed to make an insulin resistant profile. The limits have been raised or lowered to make larger boluses and corrections possible. The super large reservoir doesn’t hurt either. All this in a package that is actually smaller than my Medtronic.

Setting up my profile was easy. Programming on a touch screen is much easier than the way menus but be scrolled on some other pumps. I really like that all your settings and rates can be seen from one screen.

A couple of things that may turn some off. T-Flex does not integrate with a CGM and it cannot be upgrade by software. CGMs are often denied to T2’s so these short comings do not bother me. The newest Medtronic pump is not sold to T2s anyway.

Filling a Tandem is clunkier that filling my old Medtronic but it seems to be manageable.

I have nothing but praise for my Medtronic, it has served me almost flawlessly for almost five years, the decision to change was a difficult one. It literally took me months to decide on the T-flex, so far I am feeling really good about my decision.

Thanks for the report, Gary. Yeah, I never liked having to scroll up or down to land on the number you want to enter. If the scroll speed is too fast or too slow, it can really frustrate. Entering on a keypad seems nicer. How many units does your reservoir hold?

It holds 480 units.

Since I started on the Loop system, I load up my 300-unit reservoir and do not swap it out until I’ve used it up. I do change my sites every three days, however. It’s the first time in my 30 years with pumping where I’m not changing the site, set, and reservoir all at the same time. It seems easier to me this way. How do you do it?

With my level of insulin resistance I find that three days on 300 units is not possible. I often will change reservoir after two days, when this happens I will let my site ride for another day. I most often change site and reservoir on different days.

I plan to continue that process now maybe in reverse.

So, I may be crazy, but the name T Flex makes me think of dinosaurs. :grin:

Is this a Star Wars reference? lol

The Tandem pumps definitely sound slick. What ultimately made you decide on Tandem?

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised that the 670 (that’s what you mean by the latest Medtronic, yes?) isn’t sold to people w T2, but it did.

That’s great you are liking it so much. I Ike my tslim too. The touch screen is great for the most part. I have things that frustrate me with the software but I’d never want anything but a touchscreen I think. It’s much easier. I’ll stick with tslim. I’m a little worried about having to syringe air out of the cartridge though. Mine is older and the pump does that automatically. My main reason for it was its safeguards against overdose and capacity for small dosing.

I’m a T2 with a t:slim. I had first thought that it would really suck to have to do a site/cartridge change every 2 days but I’ve found that I get site tenderness/redness after 2 days anyway. :grinning:

Not sure if you are still “out there,” but I am also a Type 2 diabetic on a T-Flex insulin pump. I have been a T2 since 2005 (gestational in 2001 and 2003) and, decided to make the “jump to the pump” about a year ago.

Would love to connect and chat about shared experiences. I have never met nor talked to another Type 2 on a pump.

Still here. I have the same pump as you. I have been on the T-Flex for a few months. Before that I had a Medtronics model 723

Do you ever use the quick-bolus button on the side?

That was my favorite feature of that pump when I looked at it, but from hearing other people speak of it, it seems many people don’t use it very much. I am curious why someone wouldn’t use it. Seems like a very easy way to take a pre-set amount without a lot of button pushing.

My opinion would be similar to other things, perhaps simply being unfamiliar with it.

If people use the feature then decide they don’t like it and stop using it, one could perhaps draw the conclusion the feature is not well designed.

If people don’t use it because they haven’t used it … well … perhaps give it a try?
:smile:

So do you guys use it?

Seems like a great thing. You could have a small preset like 0.1 or 0.2 units, and you could just punch it if your BG was drifting high or whatever, without doing the 123 and all the other stuff.

No.

ha ha ha

So I have considered it but my daughter is so quick with the pump, I actually don’t know if it would be any quicker. As she is not in business meetings or anything like that where she would be wanting to perform a bolus without anybody seeing, that aspect is not relevant. It would be fewer “clicks/touches” but I bet she can click/touch through the screens faster than the one-button approach.

What I think are the bigger reasons are that she typically uses the pump calculator to see what it is recommending including IOB. When eating, she uses the pump to record the carbs so she is going in to that screen to allow the carbs to be recorded on the pump anyway.

That’s why I couldn’t be a pump designer.

I thought it was one of the most appealing features.

On mine, I can bolus with 8 button pushes including turning it on. A single button push would be nice. And I sometimes hit 0.10 units when I am at 110 or something, just a small correction. I don’t need a pump’s recommendation. So I guess my usage is not a good model for a pump design.

I don’t use it because it makes me uncomfortable. I like to see the numbers before I bolus.

Is there not a display as it boluses? Like if you have it pre-set for .2 or .5 or something, it doesn’t show you while it’s happening?

I wonder if I got the Tandem pump if I would be the only one to ever use that feature. I find it very interesting nobody uses it.

Actually I haven’ tried. To me the whole idea of a quick bolus button is to be able to bolus without even looking at the screen or even taking it from my belt.

I just tried it. it does show the amount on the screen. I suppose it would be good for a manual bolus but if you wish to use the bolus calculator you will not be able to use it.

If you are using the quick bolus feature you might as well have a V-Go pump.

The problem with the V-go is that it has preset basal amounts that can’t be changed, and a preset dosing amount.

There are 3 basal amounts you can choose from, it can’t be adjusted. You have to pick the basal amount in I think 20, 30, or 40 units per day, or something like that.

And I think the bolus dosing is 2 units of insulin and can’t be changed.

That would not be helpful for me.

Me neither. The V go is meant for someone with T2. My brother has one and his IR means lots of button pushes to bolus. Hardly ideal.