My Life as a Newly Diagnosed Diabetic

Ironically i was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes on April 1st, and this was no joke…Hi im Nimitz and im diabetic…and i love it, its a blessing to know for so many years if the possibilities could be true that i do indeed have or could have diabetes…I found out when i got my yearly physical at work and my doctor told me they found high amounts of glucose and protein in my urine…this was no surprise to me…i always knew i could get it…and this just justified my inquires…i saw my primary and she confirmed it, finding out my A1C was 13.7 with an average glucose reading of +400 and peak highs throughout the test boards, they wanted to put me on straight insulin, but i refused and asked them to start me on oral meds…even with their disapproval i demanded i start on oral meds and to give me three months and i would change everything to normal…so i bought a bike and converted it to a fixie and road 5-10 miles daily and 20-30 miles on weekends…i changed my eating habits and changed my whole attitude towards life. I had to options here, become depressed about my situation or accept it and tackle my diabetes head on - fully force…so i did! 3 months later all test levels normal with an A1C of 8.2 with help of exercise, a new outlook of life, new eating habits and a positive attitude…my doctors, dietian, friends and family were all surprised. I started going to classes about diabetes, talking in panel list for diabetes related discussions, doing motivational speeches and joining the DiaBuddies Team and Mentoring…3 days prior to TCOYD Conference my A1C was 5.7 (from 13.7-8.2-5.7) and all test levels throughout the board normal…as if i never had diabetes…but i wouldn’t wise it gone…its made me into a better person, i feel whole, i feel blessed. This is a blessing from God, it is a part of who i am…but i will never let it control me, i control my diabetes. I own it. At the TCOYD Conference i met Dino and Kenny…they introduced me to tudiabetes.com, that’s how i got here…and this is My Life as a Newly Diagnosed Diabetic…Happy Thanksgiving…

Congrats Nimitz, I wish you much success.

Nimitz

{clapping} your story is touching and motivational!!! Glad you joined TuDiabetes and keep giving your testimony.

Cherise

Hay Nimitz,

Keep up the good work I am a 37 year type 1 vet and just took control and owner ship of my D. You have a great start and I love your story. very touching and motivating.

Thanks Andy

To my support team…my anchor in my journey of being diabetic…

…the most important thing is the people who has been with me since day one…my doctors both at the naval hospital and my primary at sharp, my dietian, my crew at BDI, my fellow mentors at DiaDuddies, the two ladies at the front desk at sharp, my primary’s assistant…

its a struggle…

…even though my family isn’t directly saying it i know deep down inside they support me, only from hearing from other people that they do, but my family aren’t the easiest to talk to about touchy subjects, we all get to emotional…but its all right…

My Father in Heaven…

…oh yes and GOD, im not religious by any means but i am a very spiritual person…God has given life and with this life he has given me obstacles and triumphs…diabetes is an extension of who i am now…it will never define me, but i always tell people when they ask wats new about u, i let them know im diabetic…and i always get that response, “Im sorry…” and i say, “im not, im blessed to be diabetic…” (with a smile) and i tell them my story. Life keeps going regardless…

An extension of my story…

…Ive been talking in group discussions about the affects of being diabetic and i keep hearing negative stories…and i understand its apart of diabetes, and people point out im the first usually they have met to bring out the good of diabetes…i hope i have opened a different out look to those who felt lost…please don’t give me a medal thats not why im here…i just want to help others, like others have helped me…the community has given me so much and i want to return the favor…Like when i wanted to be a teacher in junior high i wanted to help kids…to have a strong future i believe u have to have a strong base…so i taught elementary education for 6 years…now im an aircraft painter and i play a key role in getting helicopter and jets back to the war…and now im a diabetic mentor…

I like forward to more diabetes events…all who is a part of this beautiful community please send me info on up and coming events related to Diabetes…i would love to meet everyone here…thanks for all the warm welcomes…enjoy!