My method for preventing post-low highs (from overeating for the low)

Innovation to make life easier! I’m all in! At this point in my diabetes life, I want easy! I so want easy. I am so emotional drain dealing with my diabetes. Almost 50 years of very hard and not cooperating. So if there is something out there that might make it easy, I’m willing to listen and maybe check it out.
Which is why I am so excited about all these new pumps coming out. I love my Tandem pump. It’s easy and I smile all the time now with how easy it is.
So if there is a different treatment plan for lows that make things easier, I am willing to see what it’s all about.

You do know I was referring to a glucose product, right? Not innovations in hardware.

1 Like

Try WalMart’s Glucose Shot. A 2 oz bottle with 16 grams of carb. About $1.50/bottle. Lightly fruit flavored. Works really fast. I often drink 1/2 and get quick results (I crash really fast). More palatable than the gels. (the tabs do not work for me). However, it doesn’t diminish the desire to each the entire contents of the refrigerator—

I keep after dinner mints in the car and in my night stand. They work quick and don’t require much effort as they dissolve so quickly and don’t stick to my teeth like jelly beans or raisins do. About 3 carbs per mint.

Yes I do. And I again will say that if there is something out that will make my life easier, I really don’t care what it is, I am all in! Be that a new easy snack that will help with keeping sugars level and is easy to carry or store in my car, locker, purse, I’m all in. I have learned to embrace change. Change can be a very good thing! And I have learned that I need to stop pushing back on change. Change is a very good thing.

1 Like

Sometimes. Sometimes not. :slight_smile:

So very true but with my diabetes I have started to realize that all this change is working very, dry well for me and I have started really embracing it. Who would have thought I could not test my blood sugar and still have good numbers?! Or who would have thought I would trust a system to run my insulin dosing?! I was one who thought my meter was gospel! It was meter or nothing. And wow, my meter has just as many problems as my G6 might. Change has been very, very good for me but everyone’s diabetes may vary. I am going to continue to do research studies to keep pushing that change!

Peppermints in my nightstand. 5g CHO, and I hope I have enough brain left to wait 20 - 30 minutes before doing anything further. Individually wrapped, measured dose of something that’s palatable. Got some in a pocket of every coat.

Does it matter if they’re sucrose rather than glucose? My body doesn’t seem to think so.

Here’s what I found in a literature search. They conclude glucose is faster than other sugar sources in treating low blood sugar, but I don’t have access to the full paper so I don’t know if the difference was significant.

I use glucose tablets because if I have anything else around (candy, etc.) I’m tempted to eat them when I’m not low. At least to me, the glucose tablets taste terrible.

I also think glucose tabs are gross.
But I am never tempted to eat my Skittles for “fun”.

Unfortunately Skittles and Sweet Tarts were among my favorite snacks in my pre-D life as a kid. Now maybe if they made them in black licorice flavor :thinking:

Actually, I detest regular skittles. LOL! I only buy the Wild Berry flavor.

1 Like

Their dietary sugars collection included milk, so that test was inherently skewed. The protein and possibly fat in milk delays its action on bg.

And I don’t cheat on peppermints - not tempting at all. Chocolate, on the other hand…

mh

1 Like