My proclamation concerning cinnamon!

HI Trudy…

Ya I’m going to hit him up this morning on all of this. I guess I just again dont want to be experiemented with the insulin, I am on a seriousl tight budget and my hope is the insurance will cover or I may be screwed here.

Hi Lila…

Wow, well I am impressed here with your numbers like this, I guess the insulin is working for you. I was so sick from adjusting to the Victoza that for a time there I felt near death. I finally adjusted to it and used it until the medication no longer seemed affective. Now…re-adjustment to insulin is scares me as well too. I know me, I have many fallouts and they freak me out to use the term loosely. since this Victoza I have had no fallouts and it sooo very nice. However, its not working, havent been on it either. I like the pen idea, sure would be nice if my insurance company would cover the cost of an insulin pen instead of the other way. It’s like, with so many insulin choices what happens here? I’m a puppeteer until the right one works? will I be sick again off and on? I am hardly able to work under some of these conditions in which the meds have affected me.

Hi bsc…

Thank you here, and yes to most of the above questions. I had to quit the Victoza because my insurance company said the Obama health care plan changed their plans and my Victoza went up from $40.00 a month to $190.00 a month for 3 pens and well with my budget I told my doctor cant do it. So, he opted to keep me on the Victoza while he aided me until my next visit. However, they run short of it and I have been on and off the Victoza because of this. The last spell here was two weeks and now I am not willing to go back on it. Besides, its not doing the trick. So thats why the rollercoaster ride with Victoza. I only hope its not the same with whatever insulin he decides to aid me with or I will be using this over the counter stuff. No choice. I’m worn down and have had many physical set backs since being hospitalized in 1990 over pnuemonia and my lungs collapsing. Its a long story, but a I want to get back to good health. The kit I bought last night, Bayer A1C kit said my A1C was 9. So I need not to take a back seat here, I have to call him and see what the deal is. He is very popular and has many patients, I have waited up to 2 to 3 hours to see him but this last years I get right in for a change. Saw him 4 times this year already and between him and my other doctor for BP issues, then my blood test, well meeting the deductible is a joke. I am at the end of the year with the deductible paid only to meet it again. I see and Endocrinologist. My daughter stressed he is the man and he knows his thing. Geezz, he is unaffordable.

Hi btbrossard

Thank you on this…we shall see…

Hi Cosumne

Well that was a test drive, I was particularly hungry that day and opted to not go diabetic that day on account of wanting to test the cinnamon, it did make a difference but no, I dont usually eat like that, only when I get crazy on occasion.

Oh ok! but my say still applies unfortunately! LOL

Hey Gerri

No I am not using inulin. The fact that the OTC is not rapid is what I kind of like, I cant take those drop outs, had one driving some years back, it left me at a dead stop on the street and cars going around me everywhere, I didnt know where I was or anything. Just a dead stop waiting. I think the Lord helped me there because I then remembered where I was and was able to drive home and eat, the shakes were happening too. This is just one incident and I just cant take them when they come. Heck, I dont know, really, I dont know. I am to call the doctor today because I am beside myself with all of this.

HI Gerri

Really I dont know what I am, truly I dont. I have been going to this endo for 3 years and I hope to get straightened out. Not sure what caused the lows, they just come on, I suppose serious sugar levels dropping before I catch them more than likely due to wrong foods. Those drop outs are just way to hard to handle, its worse than a mini earthquake happening inside your body, I guess they are just un-explainable when it comes to what happens there but we have all had them.

The website and prescribing information must be approved by the FDA and are often out of date. Studies have been performed and the European Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use (CHMP) just recently gave the green light to Victoza in combination with Levemir (although each country will need to make an individual decision on approval). Given the initial results, my crystal ball suggests that the FDA will approve it as well within the year. Bernstein also reports positively in his clinical off-label use of Victoza with T1s.

Me too bt, me too, thank you.

I understand the whole Victoza thing. I also paid a $200/month deductible on it and I was totally pissed that it was supposed to “improve” my blood sugar control, but all it did was raise my A1c from where I had been with Byetta. And I was p*ssed, I basically paid $1200 over six months for nothing.

But let me assure you, insulin works. It “will” bring your blood sugar down. It is infinitely powerful and when used right you can bring your blood sugars right down to where they should be. And while a lot of us have anxiety over the move to insulin, in hindsight it was nothing. What really helped me was becoming “smart” about insulin. I read a lot and two books in particular were helpful, “Using Insulin” by John Walsh and “Think like a Pancreas” by Schiener. Gaining understanding and confidence really helps.

I initially started with NPH and R, over the counter in vials from Walmart. They cost $24 for the vials and a like $15 for a huge box of syringes, you basically can take care of a whole month for less than $100. But the newer insulins are more expensive. I have good insurance, so I am fortunate, it actually only costs me $80 for a three month supply of my basal and bolus insulin through the mail order pharmacy. You can also call your insurance and get essentially coverage quotes to figure out which insulins are the least expensive. The best insulin choices are modern insulin analogs, Lantus and Levemir for basal (long acting) and Novolog (Aspart), Humalog (Lispro) and Aprida (Glulisine). The older insulins, NPH and R are available as Novolin and Humalin, while they are cheap, it would be best if you can start with the modern insulins (most find them markedly inferior).

And you are right about getting in to see the endo. My endo spends as much time as needed with patients (particularly long for the newly diagnosed). My last appointment was scheduled at 5pm, she fell behind, I went home and then came back in, she saw me at 9pm. So appointments first thing in the morning are key. Another thing you might consider is contacting the local diabetes center and having them help arrange a class to educate you on the use of insulin, injection technique, basal/bolus regime, matching your bolus to the carbs and most of all, many will help “arrange” things, getting a call through to your dr, getting approval and at times even getting a prescription arranged.

Hope that is helpful.

No reason that your insurance won’t cover insulin.

Hey bsc…

Wow, this is more than helpful, thank you very much, I am doing a copy, paste and print out on this info that you have sent. Ya the Victoza worked for about 3 months tops and suddenly ended. I will have to call my insurance company to see whats up, how I hate dealing with them, they are all idiots down at that office and just an over all rude people who work there. Bored with their lives and seemingly love to discourage people, its all about the money. Good insurance for the most part, at least at one time, but lousy employers running the business. Never thought to check out any local Diabetes Centers, I had a one time visit with a dietition that cost me $80.00 after insurance and that was back in the 80’s, I was more confused after seeing her than I ever was before our visit. I have this book before me, Eat to Live by Joel Fuhrman, that is my starting point. I am giong to call the hospital and see about the Diabetes outlets and see what I can do. I bet the Pharmacies have this info for various places as well, that was an excellent idea. This forum is a golden nugget as well, and…I dont feel alone, no…I dont feel alone. Everyone has been so dear and to the point, (which I need to hear) I so appreciate all these responses, they are wonderful, thank you very much too, it matters, yes it matters 100%.

I’m a small person anyway (well not so small I weigh 140) but I’ve found in 38 years of being diabetic that I haven’t gained over 180 when I was pg. U know that some of us don’t lose d after losing weight. I’ve been a Type 1 since I was 10 and like R I still have plenty of diabetes. LOL!

A pharmacy can be very helpful, they can answer a range of questions about insulin and what is available. Most of them can probably even tell you the copays are under typical insurance plans.

You are in St. Louis, so there should be a number diabetes centers around. If you get stuck, then just post again and we can help you track down one.

I have to be honest. I am not a fan of Fuhrman. He is part of the PCRM and PETA group. He argues for a diet which is basically vegetarian and minimizes meat, seafood, dairy and fat in particular. Where you are right now, that is probably not good. Any foods that raise your blood sugar are not good. And at the base of Fuhrman’s food pyramid is carbs.

My recommendations is that until you get your blood sugar in order, it is best to limit carbs and follow a steak and salad diet. Good sources for this kind of diet are Richard Bernstein’s “Diabetes Solution” or Atkins induction (see “New Atkins for You”). These are usually available in a public library.

When you get on an insulin regime and can use insulin to cover a higher carb meal, perhaps Furhmans diet will be ok. But I can’t recommend it for you now.

ps. And if you “must” suffer a steak and salad diet, make sure you get a good steak.

Hey bsc…

Ya, I just covered the first 40 pages here and read exactly that, about PCRM and Peta and his involvement. Also, the redundacy of reading what you already know, after two pages I basically scanned until the 2nd chapter. I see this already, his method of diets and personally it didnt pysche me as much as it did the person who lended me this book. I guess one is always looking for a new surprise to find something new…no…its not new. And, a high carb diet is out period. I like fruit and in its time and place it is a benefit opposed to using a blender and making nutritional drinks, I agree with his analysis about that. So far its just another story book on how to eat nutritionally, but hey it worked for many. I have already somewhat lost interest. I will proceed though. I do get thos atkin protein drinks, I love them, ever hear of them? chocolate and strawberry. I think 1 net carb and 1 sugar, could be 2 on the carbs though, its a nice tasty supplement to a shake I suppose, (sigh) thats life as a diabetic. With this insulin, < whatever it may be, I want to stick to a very secure diet of sorts in regards to high protein and fruit for the most part. Fruit being the source of sugar if you will because I do love sweets. I have to be careful even with fruit. I frequent the grocers looking for the exact food I need, and yet, I still cant figure it all out. Ya, I spend 2 hours going up and down the aisle reading the indregedients and nutrient values. Still boggles my mind though. Salt is high when sugar is low, the list goes on and on and on. I say nothing you are not aware of I’m sure but it still eludes me a bit. Talk about taking it all with a grain of salt, ya, like the kids say, FER SUREEEE LOL oh ya and I always make sure its a good steak, now that I can stand…

Hey Doris,

Ya so true, its an illusion for those who truly carry the gene to think otherwise, it just doesn’t happen and I want to say to those who do not carry the gene and it was onset of diabetes because of weight gain, not the real deal, stop being silly and think that your loss of weight it the cure for everyone, your blessed, your not genetically diseased as type 1 seriously is. It’s a great thing for them though, and I should corral my jealousy there, ha! lucky people. Ya, in this book I’m reading it sais we are to be 95 pounds to 5 feet, and 4 pounds to anything after that. Ok that leaves me at being 5’2 at 103 pounds to actually cure my diabetes according to him. In at least a start. Uhm, ya, if I want to look like death, my breast hang down to my toes and my facial skin being readily apparent for Halloween daily…Sooooooo, that’s not happening. I dont know, maybe that would cure me. I’m pretty scary at 121 if you ask me, I mean c’mon, I have a very small leg frame, its proportioned well but I have issues with veins too. I already look like a thread at 121, now I am 130 again. I fit my clothes again. Heck I dont know what to do when it comes to weight. But really, I wonder if shedding the pounds to be 103 would cure you but what a scary view. My poor husband, what would he do? he would pass me in the hallway looking for me, and there I was…walking right next to him… He is 6’3 about 260 healthy as a horse thankfully.

I lost down to like 109 at 5’4" and looked like death warmed over. Skin saggany? Yep had that one going on. LOL! My husband out weighs me by 100 pounds at 6’ 1’ He even looked at me and ask "are u going to die soon are are u doing this on purpose! " LOL! When I saw my ribs poking through my skin I decided I might need to gain back up! LOL!

Oh wow,

Your ribs poking through, now thas scary…glad our back, me too, now with insulin I hope I dont gain a ton of weight, I know nothing of this insulin…Notta…

I’ve hear that ppl gain weight when they get on insulin. I think that u gain back the weight u lost when u were so out of control, It’s just been solong that I’ve had to take insulin I honestly don’t know