My try of Afrezza

What meter are you looking for tests on? I have some links with newer meters but it’s personal tests, nothing by a University or anything.

I’m going with the Contour Next EZ but prefer Freestyle Lite if I can trade someone for some strips. Stupid health plan only covers OneTouch for formulary.

Here is one test done by a person but not a scientific controlled study. Would like to see Brian’s list as well. The main thing I’m looking for is consistent readings. Based on my lab A1C being high compared to my meter I think the Freestyle Lite will be for me.

http://onedrop.today/blog/2016/05/31/bg-meter-accuracy-10-meters-put-to-the-test/

1 Like

I am looking proimarily for the OneTouch meters - I have the same stupid plan as you do:-) But I am also looking for a truly portable meter to pack in a very small bag as a backup, and I would just buy the strips for it out of pocket.

Thanks very much! I had read that article before but could not find it in my notes:-)

I found this interesting study if you eat a lot of foods with xylose in it. The inaccuracy of meters is amazingly sad.

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/1932296816678428

1 Like

True metrix Go is the smallest meter on the market and cash strips are dirt cheap. I use it for everything. It’s probably not the best available (not as good as the true2go it replaced) but for the price it’s fine.

1 Like

I see that they can be found for as low as $11.25 for 100 (pretty darn low), although not from a solid source. From a regular retailer, it looks like $11.25 will give you 50.

It is interesting that some technologies are unaffected by xylose (usch as Accu-check) but others are totally useless (such as Freestyle). I did not realize there were such differences in monitoring technologies - they must be fundamentally different.

I just buy them on amazon for whoever has the best deal with prime shipping. Prime is the only thing that’s actually free shipping here in alaska so all the lower priced sellers that claim free shipping aren’t the real deal where I live. Prime might weed out some rif raf vendors too not sure. I’ve never had any problems with vendors on amazon…

I’m off topic here, but I hope members here are using Amazon Smile and checking DHF as their charity

I will donate $1 for every discussion about Afrezza that hasn’t been shut down :wink:

3 Likes

I just daydreamed up a great analogy for Afrezza vs injected bolus.

Injected bolus and carb counting is like measuring a person as thoroughly as possible and trying to open the door to exactly the right opening for their size with little regard for the time when they’re walking through it

Afrezza is like opening the door all the way at the exact moment any person needs to walk through it and closing it behind them.

Hope that helps. I think in bizarre ways.

1 Like

I absolutely love Afrezza. It has been a game changer for me. 1st September 2015 was my first inhale. I have read here people talking about energy like nothing else having ate a carbohydrate meal, no spikes, the idea of first phase insulin stabilizing BG levels. I could not believe the change that happened in my body. I had a number of health issues before Afrezza which disappeared within 24 hours of my first inhalation.m It’s not a miracle cure and requires effort but the upshot is amazing and worth the initial time input. Basal insulin may need to be increased. MIne is Tresiba. I am awaiting to get more Afrezza as I am currently in the UK and it is not available here. Presently I use Porcine Neutral but the onset is one hour and the tail is 10 hours and so I have had some sneaky lows that have incapacitated me. Here are the benefits of Afrezza. It needs more noise to be created about it and diabetics to demand that they can try it.

Advantages

1. My energy levels soared on Afrezza. I have never felt this good in all my life. I am not tired all the time. I have more energy and I am definitely more productive.
  2. I am not having to micro-manage diabetes.
  3. I am prescribed Lyrinel for excessive sweating as I have suffered from this for well almost 20 years and it’s detrimentally affected me over the last 10. I have had botox to provide temporary relief and I have needed to use aluminium chloride salts to control it(Odaban). My sweating has stopped completely on Afrezza. I have stopped taking Lyrinel completely.
  4. I have much more feeling in the tips of my fingers and my toes. I have never had an issue with this but my sense of touch in my extremities has improved. I am not saying it was bad to start off with. In fact I have never mentioned this and my pulses and circulation have always been good but there is a huge difference in sensation for me.
  5. I do not get pains in my calves and shins. This was very noticeable and I have found that co-codamol helps. I have stopped requesting co-codamol in my repeat prescription as the pain is no more.
  6. My docs are amazed at the improvement in my retinopathy due to reduced glycaemic variability and a more stable profile.
5 Likes

I am glad Affreza is working out, and hope you can get further supplies. I noted your current bolus injectable insulin is the ancient porcine N. Have you considered a more modern bolus insulin such as novorapid. This act over 4-5 hours, rather than the 8-10 hours of porcine N.

Thanks Graeme for your comments. I had to move from Novorapid (aka Novolog in the USA) and Humalog (I have tried both over a number of years) due to complications associated with their usage. I also tried U200 Humalog to see if it would work as the volume injected was less but it made a negligible difference and some may say I could have experienced a slight placebo effect. Overall I felt the same.
Despite having a HbA1c of 6.5%, I was getting massive swings. I also had leg pain, exhaustion, confusion, sweating (not associated with a hypo) to contend with. These vanished when I moved onto porcine. My levels are more stable using porcine too. The massive disadvantage is the very slow onset and the killer tail which has meant that I have drifted quite easier into a hypo on more than one occasion and this worries me as I live alone. I have to be extremely careful about what I eat and when and I have to constantly plan 2 hours ahead for everything around food. The critical stacking time is 5-7pm daily when I could go low. I have sugary drinks to hand and my car is packed with Mars bars! Let’s all be having some AFREZZA!!!

Thanks Brendan. You clearly have lots going on. All the best.

I’ve been a T1 for over 50 yrs - currently a Dexcomer and T-slimer. Will start dabbling with Afrezza this week. Glad to find so much good information.

1 Like

can i cover it in chocolate and sprinkles??? 2-in-1 ! 1) joy of eating a giant, strange looking treat!!, 2) magic “pill” for my diabetes…i certainly wont need to be worrying about pumping strategies or afrezza inhalation techniques after that sucker get going in the blood stream! - its hello nuerotoxicity, & goodbye world!

I tried Afrezza recently, but have decided not to continue. It took me a few days to dial in. I started with a “standard breakfast.” That consisted of 2 oz of Trader Joe’s bran flakes, almond milk and a packet of Splenda. I think that’s roughly 40 gm CHO, depending on how you account for fiber. But at any rate, it was standard for all tests.

Starting at a BS in the 90-120 range, either two, eight U Afrezza puffs OR 12 U of Humulog would bring my sugar back to roughly the starting point in several hours. But the area under the curve was significantly different. The Afrezza flattened out the curve big time. This is pretty much what other’s experience would have predicted. But I was surprised at the amount of Afrezza needed.

I repeated this experience with other meals and found the two, eight U puffs was about right. However, if the meal had more fat, a follow-up dose would be needed. Also, if my sugar was high before the meal, Afrezza had a hard time bringing it down. Again, this seems to be a common experience. This all leads me to believe that I would need at least 6 of the 8 U cartridges and probably several more to take care of high sugars or high-fat meals. I paid for Afrezza out-of-pocket to run the test. But I have real concerns that Medicare would approve coverage, particularly at this high level.

Another issue is that I had minor throat irritation. I laid off for 4-5 days and that returned. There was no coughing though. I would probably have given this a longer trial to see if that would abate. But I just decided the benefit wasn’t worth the effort and expense.

On the bright side though, I rediscovered LCHF diets. When I first spoke with Richard Bernstein in the early 70’s, he was advocating low carb eating. But the diet suggestions were terrible. The Scandinavian flat bread was like crunchy cardboard and the Farmer’s cheese would go moldy after a few days. The diet worked, but it wasn’t pleasant. Clearly, a lot of folks have spent time and effort since then, coming up with more palatable choices!

Everyone - so I started Afrezza a couple of days back, today was my first ALL day on it, and I can see why everyone is so excited. I did notice however I now need to modify my basil rate, seems I might need to start increasing since I don’t have the longer Humalog in my system during the day. I currently use Tresiba. What a day though, sugars were more stable, I was able to correct highs quicker (not as high and because of the need to increase my basil) and I was able to get a run in much quicker after a meal. Again so far so good. When talking to my wife tonight however about it, I have the following stuck in my mind, and that is about long term impacts inhaling a medication. Again just on my mind.

Something else I have noticed during the last several days in my information gathering, there is not a lot of “New” material out there, a lot of videos, testing, writing was done a year or more back, seems things have settled down a bit, didn’t know if that has been noticed? I just read that sales over the first quarter of this year were way down, and I believe something like 220 prescriptions were written thus far, probably part of the information problem.

With all of that said however I see how Afrezza is life changing, looking forward to continue to dial in my dose, will keep everyone posted!!

2 Likes