My try of Afrezza

Actually, I don’t enjoy labor much. Labor DAY, on the other hand, is pretty neat . . . :laughing:

That was written before my coffee kicked in so I should get a pardon.

1 Like

In Canada we call them Beaver Tails. They are great with Nutella and bananas too. I haven’t had one since diagnosis.

Reach out to people like Sam here and other Afrezza users on Twitter. They are all great and very helpful. It was a bit chaotic for us at first but we wouldn’t trade Afrezza for anything now that we understand how to use it. Afrezza users on Twitter were a great help to us during transition.

I’ll chime in here as well. Main benefits for me:

1. Speed of impact on my blood sugar for both post prandial control of spikes and especially for stopping a high in its tracks and bringing me back into range very quikcly.
  2. Very short tail thus limiting lows

@Allen3 - How come you don’t prebolus on Novolog? Regardless of reason, it’s still a bit of a guessing game. I don’t need to prebolus with Afrezza and I can control a spike relatively easy and have no worries of a post prandial low. If I don’t take enough and I see my CGM spiking then I do another hit of Afrezza and feel very confident that the Afrezza will stop the spike very quickly (I say my spike is about to hit a wall), whereas on Humalog it could be hours before that spike is completely controlled with the potential fear of a trailing low.

1 Like

Hi Mike,

I don’t prebolus mainly because I just don’t think, or remember, ever being taught that way. When I was in Lantus back in the day, and nph, I always had way too much basal and had to eat to keep from going low. Different mindset 30 years ago. Now I guess I just haven’t educated myself on the proper way and also it’s a large inconvenience when you’re rushed. I definitely am going to start doing it as hat seems to make a big difference in my control. Afrezza just isn’t cutting it for me, it’s not strong enough. I’m going to do the Coke test and see what results I get versus what the Afrezza down under guy experienced. It really doesn’t seem to stop my spikes at all, maybe people who are still new to insulin or have some left in their body fair better than someone 30 years on insulin. I’m still testing though and am not giving up cause the idea behind it is incredible. I deforest think I need to take it either 5 min before or right when I eat definitely, which I have. Now that I have the Cgm I’m going to give it a real test and really try to see if any particular timing will work for me.

Can you get some 8s? I agree that the 4s aren’t enough to cover meals for you. They’re not for me either. I pretty much only use the 4s for corrections or ultra LC meals.

yeah I have a call into the Dr to ask the rep for some. it’s a pain doing more than one at a time. i really want to try doing a 12.

You simply aren’t taking enough. Under-dosing was a problem for us at first as well. We would dose 4u and nothing would happen making us think like you that it didn’t work. In truth we didn’t dose nearly enough and likely blood sugar was not only high but climbing at the time of dosing. For us <20g = 4u >20g = 8u. We always measure after approx an hour and take follow-up if necessary. To date a1c has dropped by 1.0 and hypo’s reduced by at least 95%. It’s normal to be cautious at first which is normal and to be advised, but over time if you stick with it you will gain the confidence to be more aggressive and then you will get the results you want. We are TI insulin dependent for 35 years.

2 Likes

I’ve been curious about 12s but generally manage with the 8s pretty well… I follow up with 4s as needed

We never us 12u either. To me biggest challenge with Afrezza is fatty high carb foods like pizza, Mexican, Indian etc. because Afrezza is so fast. It’s not unusual for us in these instances to take 8u 3x over a 3-4 hour period to handle those meals, 24 units total. In many ways a square bolus with a pump is better suited for these meals. The other point to consider is we do have peaks with Afrezza because we don’t use a CGM, but limiting the time in that peak is highly beneficial for A1c. We never over-dose and go hypo, and have never, not once, had a insulin roller coaster day going high and low repeatedly. Stick with it! Everything you are experiencing WE experienced too. If not for Sam Finta’s help and guidance we would have given up. Now she literally is brought to tears thinking about having to go back to the pump. Good luck! Don’t give up just yet.

You assume all i take is 4’s so i’m guessing you havent read many of my posts. I take two 4’s and I have been a diabetic for 30 years. Not sure why that matters. Kinda odd to tell someone they arent taking enough when you dont even know what I take.

Yeah i think I am more insulin resistant than you based on your posts. I tend to need more with meals. You never know until you try and I like being a guinea pig. If I get hungry I’m going to try 12 today. Well maybe not after my super low last night. :slight_smile:

I eat pretty low carb too… Generally

Going crazy for me would be like a sushi roll or a burger and fries

Haha ok thats where we differ. I think 12’s might be for me. :slight_smile: 8u correction graph below for fun. Love the Cgm.

1 Like

Ok i took the plunge and took a 12. Let’s get this party started. Will post CGM later.

I’ve read your posts or I wouldn’t be trying to help you. It’s much easier to take an 8u than two 4u. We under dosed ar first too. If you are insulin resistant then you chances of under dosing are even greater, obviously. I wish you had the new sample pack with 4’s and 8’s. Would be easier for you. Let me know what u think of CGM I’ve been trying and losing battle to get her on it.

Drank two of the mini sprites to = 50g sugar.

Yeah that’s what I’m trying to get from my dr and the rep is the new sample pack. I’m sure they’re itching to give it out upon the relaunch, at least they should be.

Taking three 4’s is a pain but for testing I took the plunge.

I’ll be crazy impressed if 12u completely suppresses any spike with that meal. For us I would estimate 12u plus a 4u follow up in about an hour. Fatty starches seem to hit her slowly. The Sprite will be quick. Good luck!